Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k invested in prize bonds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Winnings from today's draw: €0
    Last win 17th January 2014: €50
    Total winnings since Feb 2011 on €25k: €1450

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭FoolsGold1

Winnings from today's draw €100 (2 x €50)
    Last win €50 on 3/1/14

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭XrayMike235

Total winnings since Feb 2008 on €18k: €1550

Date of last win: 15th of November (€50)

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dionysius2

pbwinner wrote: »

pb.....it's been very interesting following your progress here and I do so for a good reason. I haven't followed the inputs relentlessy so there are things here that I've missed, more like dipping in and out now and again. How do you feel about your involvement now after all this time and your returns to date ? Was it worth the bother ?
    Right now I am very tempted (following a recent unexpected windfall) to buy a sizeable chunk, say E30K or so. Seems to me you haven't done too badly.
    Pardon my ignorance but are PB winnings subject to tax and must they be declared, etc ?
    TIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Dionysius2 wrote: »
    pb.....it's been very interesting following your progress here and I do so for a good reason. I haven't followed the inputs relentlessy so there are things here that I've missed, more like dipping in and out now and again. How do you feel about your involvement now after all this time and your returns to date ? Was it worth the bother ?
    Right now I am very tempted (following a recent unexpected windfall) to buy a sizeable chunk, say E30K or so. Seems to me you haven't done too badly.
    Pardon my ignorance but are PB winnings subject to tax and must they be declared, etc ?
    TIA.

This page should contain enough info for you. :)

http://www.prizebonds.ie/about/index.html

• Advertisement

Tks Fizman....that was quite helpful. I'm gonna do it for a year so it's fingers XX !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Considering putting 7.5k into prize bonds, are they 100% risk free? I have the money just sitting in my credit union, I won't need the money anytime soon, so having it locked up for the 3 months won't really inconvenience me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Considering putting 7.5k into prize bonds, are they 100% risk free? I have the money just sitting in my credit union, I won't need the money anytime soon, so having it locked up for the 3 months won't really inconvenience me

If the government does the whole burn the bondholders thing or goes bankrupt you're f***ed. Otherwise it is state guaranteed.

• Advertisement

GarIT wrote: »
    If the government does the whole burn the bondholders thing or goes bankrupt you're f***ed. Otherwise it is state guaranteed.

Cheers and what sort of odds is there for someone with 7.5k invested of winning at each draw?

Cheers and what sort of odds is there for someone with 7.5k invested of winning at each draw?

I don't know the odds but there is an average of a 1.6% return over a year.

GarIT wrote: »
    I don't know the odds but there is an average of a 1.6% return over a year.

Thats not too bad actually, considering your've a change(no matter how slim) of winning a big prize

Thats not too bad actually, considering your've a change(no matter how slim) of winning a big prize

The 1.6% is counting the big prizes though.

Winnings from 7/02/14 - Nil
    Last win 31/01/14 - 2 x €50 (€100)

Dionysius2 wrote: »
    TIA.
    Hiya. Well I've kept the money in there for longer than I'd planned, mainly because of the collapse in savings rates. If interest rates rose again, then I'd take the money out in a flash, but as it is, my returns so far are more or less matching what I would get in a 1-year savings a/c, which is fine for me (I'm not a risk taker with money).

My returns are €1450 on €25k over 3 years; if I had put the €25k in a KBC Interest Upfront a/c for example, I would have got about €1100 net, so I suppose it's not too bad, although remember that the PB return is variable (i.e. pure chance). The prizes are tax-free.

Winning the €1m is not at all realistic, especially given the changes that have occurred in the last year or so to the main prize, and also highlighted by the great statistical analysis given by other posters on this thread. So I don't think that's a practical reason for keeping money in PBs. The change from €75 to €50 will have more of an impact on returns, so will be interesting to see how that affects the total winnings this year. I don't expect this to improve either - perhaps even the opposite.

So while interest rates remain low and I don't have any pressing need for the money, and with it effectively available on demand anyway, I'm happy enough to leave it to the Fates in PBs for the time being.

If I had €30k would I do it again? Well you will get about €400 net cash into your hand a week after tying it up in KBC for a year - winning €400 took me an awful lot longer with €25k :D However if you look back over the posts, you'll see people also with thousands of bonds, held for many years, who have never won a thing.

So there's no real answer for you I'm afraid. You'll have an opportunity cost of about €400 at least and a very slight chance of winning €1m. There's no risk with leaving it with PBs for a year say, but don't drive yourself mad thinking about it every Friday :-P Also Gambler's Fallacy may make it harder to withdraw your money then you may imagine, when the time comes!

Hope this helps and good luck :-)

Hiya. Well I've kept the money in there for longer than I'd planned, mainly because of the collapse in savings rates. If interest rates rose again, then I'd take the money out in a flash, but as it is, my returns so far are more or less matching what I would get in a 1-year savings a/c, which is fine for me (I'm not a risk taker with money).

My returns are €1450 on €25k over 3 years; if I had put the €25k in a KBC Interest Upfront a/c for example, I would have got about €1100 net, so I suppose it's not too bad, although remember that the PB return is variable (i.e. pure chance). The prizes are tax-free.

Winning the €1m is not at all realistic, especially given the changes that have occurred in the last year or so to the main prize, and also highlighted by the great statistical analysis given by other posters on this thread. So I don't think that's a practical reason for keeping money in PBs. The change from €75 to €50 will have more of an impact on returns, so will be interesting to see how that affects the total winnings this year. I don't expect this to improve either - perhaps even the opposite.

So while interest rates remain low and I don't have any pressing need for the money, and with it effectively available on demand anyway, I'm happy enough to leave it to the Fates in PBs for the time being.

If I had €30k would I do it again? Well you will get about €400 net cash into your hand a week after tying it up in KBC for a year - winning €400 took me an awful lot longer with €25k :D However if you look back over the posts, you'll see people also with thousands of bonds, held for many years, who have never won a thing.

So there's no real answer for you I'm afraid. You'll have an opportunity cost of about €400 at least and a very slight chance of winning €1m. There's no risk with leaving it with PBs for a year say, but don't drive yourself mad thinking about it every Friday :-P Also Gambler's Fallacy may make it harder to withdraw your money then you may imagine, when the time comes!

Hope this helps and good luck :-)

My thanks for your thoughtful response. Enlightening and well balanced.
    I've decided to make the (PB) buy and I'll give an occasional update for anyone interested.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

get out of prize bonds
    The Prizebonds fund rate is now 1.60% - this is the variable rate that will be used to calculate the January 2014 prize fund and will continue until further notice

unclaimed

http://www.thejournal.ie/unclaimed-prize-bonds-953860-Jun2013/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

get out of prize bonds
    The Prizebonds fund rate is now 1.60% - this is the variable rate that will be used to calculate the January 2014 prize fund and will continue until further notice

unclaimed

http://www.thejournal.ie/unclaimed-prize-bonds-953860-Jun2013/

Old News.

831 posts in 1 month. (Gone up to 918 in 1 day, mind boggles)

Holy Shizer! :eek:

On an unrelated note, I sent in a direct debit mandate (along with documentation) 2 weeks ago. Any idea how long they take to process?

• Advertisement

Winnings from draw 14/02/2014 - €0
    Last win 2 x €50 (€100) on 31/01/2014

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Thronegames

Hi, new to this thread. I bought 10k worth of PB's last Nov.due to low interest rates at bank. From reading above I see there is a draw once a month? What date? What's easiest way of checking if I've won?

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Hi, new to this thread. I bought 10k worth of PB's last Nov.due to low interest rates at bank. From reading above I see there is a draw once a month? What date? What's easiest way of checking if I've won?

Here ya go, good luck

http://www.prizebonds.ie/winning/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Thronegames

Hiya,
    Thought I'd update this thread on the success (or not) of €25k (yes, €25,000) I invested in PBs since February.

Purpose of this thread is to give some indication of the success rate of PBs for the ordinary punter as I assume €25k is large amount to invest in one go.

Planning to keep it in there for a year or so.

Winnings to date: €25

I did similar - only 10k - last Nov as interest rates so low. I know after DIRT I can lose about 150 euro in the year before taking it out. However I see it as buying a lotto ticket. I wonder what are the odds of winning 1 million on PD's vs same on Lotto?

No luck on 21/02/2014
    Last win 31/01/2014 - 2 x €50 (€100)
    I was away all last week and had visions of you all (and myself!) making a penny or two...but...it doesn't look like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I bought €750 worth of bonds today. Does anyone know if I will be included in tomorrow's draw or am I too late?

• Advertisement

I bought €750 worth of bonds today. Does anyone know if I will be included in tomorrow's draw or am I too late?

You are in the draw as soon as the payment clears. If you bought them online no chance, it's 5 days. Offline, if you paid with cash probably, cheque no or card no.

Advertisement