Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k invested in prize bonds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

GarIT wrote: »
    You are in the draw as soon as the payment clears. If you bought them online no chance, it's 5 days. Offline, if you paid with cash probably, cheque no or card no.

Online, so no chance. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Online, so no chance. Thanks

One draw is no big deal, it's only 2% of your chance of winning over a year

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pbwinner

I did similar - only 10k - last Nov as interest rates so low. I know after DIRT I can lose about 150 euro in the year before taking it out. However I see it as buying a lotto ticket. I wonder what are the odds of winning 1 million on PD's vs same on Lotto?
    Practically zero - review the posts on the statistical analysis done by other posters.

Winnings from today's draw: €0
    Last win 17th January 2014: €50
    Total winnings since Feb 2011 on €25k: €1450

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭FoolsGold1

Winnings from today - Nil
    Last win 31/1/14 - 2 x €50 (€100)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Zero today
    Zero last week
    Zero ever

€5000 invested almost 1 year

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭XrayMike235

Total winnings since Feb 2008 on €18k: €1550

Date of last win: 15th of November (€50)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Winnings from todays draw: €0

Total winnings since Feb 2010 on €500: €150
    Total winnings since Feb 2011 on €50: €0

Winnings from today's draw - €0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

FoolsGold1 wrote: »
    Winnings from today's draw - €0

Hi i am just wondering where in dublin is the best place to buy prize bonds? It may sound like a silly question but i am new to this investing.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

Any post office as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Thronegames

Do research. I would not call that an investment. Pure gambol. G'luck!

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    Hi i am just wondering where in dublin is the best place to buy prize bonds? It may sound like a silly question but i am new to this investing.
    Hi! * Any Post Office where you will be given Receipt of Purchase. The actual Prize Bond Cert. will be forwarded direct, by post, to Bondholder. Units of €6.25, with minimum purchase of 4 Units, €25. The Bonds must be held for a minimum of 3 full calendar months, and can be held indefinitely.

* Or buy (Irish residents only) through internet site at www.prizebonds.ie

Good Luck.

Winnings from today's draw - €50

Winnings from last two draws: €0

Date of last win: 15th of November (€50)

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

Hi Folks, have been following this thread for a while with interest and im curious to know how much realistically you would need to have "invested" in PB's to have a chance of getting a meaningful return..€20k,€50k,€100k+???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

bonzos wrote: »
    Hi Folks, have been following this thread for a while with interest and im curious to know how much realistically you would need to have "invested" in PB's to have a chance of getting a meaningful return..€20k,€50k,€100k+???

You should be asking how little not how much, if you were investing anything other than small money it's a waste, you can make more elsewhere. It's closer to playing the lotto than investing, you would make more in interest in a savings account with some banks, you will only make 1.6% interest with PBs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

GarIT wrote: »
    You should be asking how little not how much, if you were investing anything other than small money it's a waste, you can make more elsewhere. It's closer to playing the lotto than investing, you would make more in interest in a savings account with some banks, you will only make 1.6% interest with PBs.
    Incorrect, the only way to make a reasonable and reliable return on PBs over a timeframe of say 6 months to 2 years is to have a large amount (tens or hundreds of thousands) invested.

Only with large amounts will there be a good probability of getting close to the average PB return in a reasonable timeframe. This has been discussed at length on askaboutmoney.

If you invest small money in PBs, with the smallest prize being 50 euro, you'll most likely win nothing (interest = 0%) unless you want to wait decades or a lifetime for it.

OTOH if you invest large money it's likely that you'll earn at least as much as you would from the best lump sum deposit accounts currently available. PBs prizes are not subject to 41% DIRT unlike the deposit accounts in this list
    http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=101813

Regular saver interest rates with advertised rates of 4% gross are not comparable to lump sum interest rates as the instalment size is limited and you only get the advertised rate on the first instalment.

The only currently available deposit account that I'd be confident will beat the PB return on a large amount is the National Solidarity Bond 10 year Issue 4 (2.66% AER net) And you have to leave that invested for 10 years to make that return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Incorrect, the only way to make a reasonable and reliable return on PBs over a timeframe of say 6 months to 2 years is to have a large amount (tens or hundreds of thousands) invested.

Only with large amounts will there be a good probability of getting close to the average PB return in a reasonable timeframe. This has been discussed at length on askaboutmoney.

If you invest small money in PBs, with the smallest prize being 50 euro, you'll most likely win nothing (interest = 0%) unless you want to wait decades or a lifetime for it.

OTOH if you invest large money it's likely that you'll earn at least as much as you would from the best lump sum deposit accounts currently available. PBs prizes are not subject to 41% DIRT unlike the deposit accounts in this list
    http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=101813

Regular saver interest rates with advertised rates of 4% gross are not comparable to lump sum interest rates as the instalment size is limited and you only get the advertised rate on the first instalment.

The only currently available deposit account that I'd be confident will beat the PB return on a large amount is the National Solidarity Bond 10 year Issue 4 (2.66% AER net) And you have to leave that invested for 10 years to make that return.

Thats what I was thinking myself.PB's should not be compared to the lotto,only a lunatic would put €20k on the lotto! but at least you can get your money back on PB's if you loose faith in them after a few months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

How do you go about withdrawing prizebonds

4 months without a win!

Date of last win: 15th of November (€50)[/QUOTE]