Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k invested in prize bonds

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭FoolsGold1

I do not believe it would help, but, fair to say, others do believe so. "New" bonds did not work the oracle for me, but did cause a brief shake-up for some people.

Incidentally, there is no need to cash in your bonds. Simply tick the box that says "Reinvest" on the Repayment Application Form, submit that with your old bonds and the new ones will arrive by post in little or no time. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭cold case

What happens the numbers that have been cashed in, or reinvested? Are they just ignored when the number is drawn as winning a prize, and it then goes unclaimed?

It then makes the odds of winning even more unlikely, as there are more and more numbers in the system, some of which can be drawn, but the prize will never be claimed.

It is worth looking at the "unclaimed prizes" page, and see just how long it takes to scroll down the endless list!

Just out of interest, I just scrolled down through the "unclaimed prizes" page, and timed it with a stopwatch, (sad, I know), but it took 12 minutes and 24 seconds, full speed! That's a hell of a lot of unclaimed prizes, if you ask me!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,244 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

cold case wrote: »
    Just out of interest, I just scrolled down through the "unclaimed prizes" page, and timed it with a stopwatch, (sad, I know), but it took 12 minutes and 24 seconds, full speed! That's a hell of a lot of unclaimed prizes, if you ask me!

Is that people who have moved from their original addresses mainly? Or dead folk?

spurious wrote: »
    Is that people who have moved from their original addresses mainly? Or dead folk?

I really don't know. It just makes me suspicious about the dwindling chances of winning if there are more and more numbers in the system.

If you move house, you can have your new address registered to your prize bonds, but I wonder how many prize bonds have been long forgotten since 1957! And are these numbers still in the "draw drum"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭topper_harley2

positron wrote: »
    I have over 6k or so in prize bonds in last two+ years and I didn't win anything so far! Should I cash them and buy fresh bonds? Would that help?

Cash them out IMO, 6k isn't big enough investment to increase probability of return to acceptable level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,961 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I really don't know. It just makes me suspicious about the dwindling chances of winning if there are more and more numbers in the system.

If you move house, you can have your new address registered to your prize bonds, but I wonder how many prize bonds have been long forgotten since 1957! And are these numbers still in the "draw drum"?
    Your username is very appropriate here... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Do they provide a number of unclaimed prizes?

I was looking at their website - registering all your bonds on their site, to see if you have weekly winnings seems to be very good idea, must go routing out my few PB and register them and check off the unclaimed prizes.

If you google "complete list of unclaimed prize bond numbers" you should find this very long list.

You can also enter your numbers and check them at lunchtime on Fridays if you can't wait for the post a few days later.

You don't half get fed up with the "sorry" notice every week though!

Good luck!

Someone should write an app...

I sent off a bank draft for 15k last week, feck all else places to leave it at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Same as above, gonna leave a chunk of change there as nothing else seems any way profitable. At least there is some element of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

If you google "complete list of unclaimed prize bond numbers" you should find this very long list.

You can also enter your numbers and check them at lunchtime on Fridays if you can't wait for the post a few days later.

You don't half get fed up with the "sorry" notice every week though!

Good luck!

I'm on that list, think I bought £50 worth 15 years ago or so, any way of checking how much I won does anyone know? Bit mad that you have to send a letter to Kerry to get it sorted.

If you had won anything over the years (and still resided at the address you used when you bought the bonds) they would have sent your winnings straight away. It is not rocket science! However, if you had changed your address and had not updated with them, it is a different story.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Ha, yea. Have moved house 10-15 times and country once in that time. I need to do the following, no internet in Kerry yet it seems.

In order to claim your prize you should write to us at the address below:

The Prize Bond Company Ltd.
    FEXCO Centre
    Killorglin
    Co. Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Winnings from today's draw: €0
    Last win 12th September 2014: €50
    Total winnings since Feb 2011 on €25k: €1750

Winnings from today's draw - €50
    Last win 5th September 2014 - €50

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

FoolsGold1 wrote: »
    Winnings from today's draw - €50
    Last win 5th September 2014 - €50
    200 in August
    100 in September so far

...must be some amount of bonds you have... :pac:

See post #1461 on page 98 where he breaks it down, 60k worth.

Thargor wrote: »
    See post #1461 on page 98 where he breaks it down, 60k worth.
    So a return over 1200 a year and you're laughin?

Taylor365 wrote: »
    So a return over 1200 a year and you're laughin?
    Whats the significance of 1200?

• Advertisement

Whats the significance of 1200?
    60k @ 4% = 2400 (which i now see best rates are much lower for lumped)
    tax 1/2 = 1200

So 800+ a year would be trashing any bank rates.

Yeah I thought thats what you were getting at but he's had them a couple of years, well he had 40k anyway so that muddies the water a bit...

Yes, I think it must be Quantum Maths after all! I HAVE exact win-figures for this year - since 1st Jan. 2014 I won exactly €750 - so I'm not really laughing (!), but high hopes!! Prior to 2014, you are right when it was c.40K (built up to in 12-18 months), the win was close to 2K spread over the 18 mths., so better innings. There was never anything bigger than the then €75; the €50 is better than a wet rag across the gob!

Better than anything the banks are offering anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Winnings from today's draw: €50
    Last win 12th September 2014: €50
    Total winnings since Feb 2011 on €25k: €1800

Good man PBwinner :D

I should have 15k worth in this weeks or next weeks draw, it all gets posted to my parents house though so I only know if Ive won anything once a month.

Do you automatically convert winnings into more bonds? I think they should get rid of the other prizes and just lash out as many fifty euros as they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭XrayMike235

Winnings from todays draw: €0

One win in 2014. €50 on 22nd August. The previous win was November 2013!

Total winnings since Feb 2008 on €18k: €1600

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

Winnings from today's draw: €0
    Last win: -
    Total winnings since Sept 14 on €8k: €0

Interesting thread, had spare cash decided to join in on the fun. ROI seems to be 1-2% over long periods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Good man PBwinner :D

I should have 15k worth in this weeks or next weeks draw, it all gets posted to my parents house though so I only know if Ive won anything once a month.

Do you automatically convert winnings into more bonds? I think they should get rid of the other prizes and just lash out as many fifty euros as they can.

You can register your bonds on their website and so check winnings when ever you want instead of finding out once a month

• Advertisement

I was away and hoped that while the cat was out the mouse might dance but.......!
    Winnings from draw on 26/9/14 - Nil
    Last win €50 on 19/9/14
    Total winnings (on 60K) since start of 2014 ~ €750

Advertisement