Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k invested in prize bonds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭topper_harley2

You pay DIRT on interest at source I.e. Bank deducts it from you before crediting it. This is net interest.

You only need to mention deposit interest in tax return if interest is over 3k, which is highly unlikely for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

You pay DIRT on interest at source I.e. Bank deducts it from you before crediting it. This is net interest.

You only need to mention deposit interest in tax return if interest is over 3k, which is highly unlikely for most people.

Sorry to hijack this topic but I have another question on this interest and the €3k. Are you saying that if I give you a €25k loan over 1 year at 10% interest rate I will not have to pay tax (or declare to Revenue) on the €2,500 interest that I receive from you in that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭lorenzo87

Just bought €1,100 worth of bonds, and will top it up monthly. :-)
    Worst case scenario at least I'm saving a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭topper_harley2

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack this topic but I have another question on this interest and the €3k. Are you saying that if I give you a €25k loan over 1 year at 10% interest rate I will not have to pay tax (or declare to Revenue) on the €2,500 interest that I receive from you in that year.

Thats different. Thats a private loan between individuals. I don't know how that's dealt with. I was only referring to DIRT on savings accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Winnings from today's draw: €0
    Last win 3rd October 2014: €50
    Total winnings since Feb 2011 on €25k: €1850

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭FoolsGold1

Winnings from today's draw - Nil
    Last win 5/12/14 - €50

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

ID wonder how accurate the "uncashed" & "unclaimed" prizes are. I have two cheques at home that I havent gotten around to cashing in yet. One of them is about 3 months there.

Neither of them appear under "uncashed" prizes when I check my profile

TheSheriff wrote: »
    ID wonder how accurate the "uncashed" & "unclaimed" prizes are. I have two cheques at home that I havent gotten around to cashing in yet. One of them is about 3 months there.

Neither of them appear under "uncashed" prizes when I check my profile

That's because they gave you the cheque's, which to them is cashed. They won't wait until you cash in the cheque.

lorenzo87 wrote: »
    That's because they gave you the cheque's, which to them is cashed. They won't wait until you cash in the cheque.

Ah I see, would they not even go into unclaimed prizes then? As in fact I havent claimed them?

Whats the difference if they posted a cheque and it went to the wrong house or got lost in the post? By this logic to them Ive claimed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Man of Aran

No wins here since early Nov.

Calculated the return YoY on prize money wins / value of bonds held - works out at 0.94%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

No wins here since early Nov.

Calculated the return YoY on prize money wins / value of bonds held - works out at 0.94%.

Seems about right ~1-2%.
    No wins yet, 14k so far.

Winnings from today's draw: €0

Last win 5/12/14 - €50

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭WhiteMan32

Winnings from today's draw: €50
    Last win 20th June 2014: €50

WhiteMan32 wrote: »
    Winnings from today's draw: €50
    Last win 20th June 2014: €50

Well done sir. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Woo-hoo, thought I was going to finish the year dry but just got home to the parents house there and there was a €50 win waiting for me :D

Thats Total winnings since Oct 2014 on €15k: €50

Will be bringing that up to €30k at the end of January and leaving it for a year, the win rate would want to pick up in a big way to get me to leave my money with them though...

Winnings from draw on 23/12/14 - €50
    Last win 5/12/14 - €50

HAPPY CHRISTMAS and GOOD LUCK TO ALL IN 2015!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

I have invested a lot of money in Prize Bonds over the years and up to Oct 2014 or so, i was winning c150 a month. However since the number of prizes has been reduced from 9000+ to c6300, I haven't won once. I even reinvested a load of separate 'piles' into one major pile and still haven't won. Think I'll be withdrawing as soon as 3 months are up and looking to those damned banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

I have invested a lot of money in Prize Bonds over the years and up to Oct 2014 or so, i was winning c150 a month. However since the number of prizes has been reduced from 9000+ to c6300, I haven't won once. I even reinvested a load of separate 'piles' into one major pile and still haven't won. Think I'll be withdrawing as soon as 3 months are up and looking to those damned banks.

Hah, if you're looking for a decent rate of interest from a bank in the current climate, dream on.

Winnings from last three draws: €0

• Advertisement

Last win 23/12/14 - €50

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭eamonn147

FoolsGold1 wrote: »
    Last win 23/12/14 - €50

So are they a wase of time i am wondering if a direct debit works and do they send u multiple bonds in the post

"A waste of time?" Well...certainly not IF you are lucky! As there is very poor return on savings, short-term, anywhere in recent years, at least with the Prize Bonds there is the element of chance, of luck, of a WIN! You forfeit the 'certainty' of the meagre Interest in favour of taking pot luck with the Bonds. It's up to you - take it or leave it - and if you take it, then shut up about it being 'hookery, crookery, favouritism' in the Draw!! Do not buy Bonds if you harbour thoughts that somehow the Draw is not fair. I believe that it is totally above board, random selection etc., but cynics might say that I'm happy in the illusions I cherish! So be it.

I'll tell you how I fared for the full year of 2014 - not great, but O.K. I suppose, and I see no reason whatever for secrecy in this matter. On €60K worth of Bonds (from 1st Jan. - 31st Dec. 2014) I had 24 wins, always €50, so that's €1,200. I get it paid into my Bank and a letter came from them each time informing me that this has been done.

Look up www.prizebonds.ie and you get all the info. there, how to purchase etc. and details of personal identification stuff (if you are a first time buyer). It is simple. You will not get a pile of Bonds (!) ... you'll get one Bond in the post which will show the numbers a-z of your purchase.

I hope this helps. Apart from that, all I can do is wish you all the luck in the world, not alone in 2015. :)

FoolsGold1 wrote: »
    "A waste of time?" Well...certainly not IF you are lucky! As there is very poor return on savings, short-term, anywhere in recent years, at least with the Prize Bonds there is the element of chance, of luck, of a WIN! You forfeit the 'certainty' of the meagre Interest in favour of taking pot luck with the Bonds. It's up to you - take it or leave it - and if you take it, then shut up about it being 'hookery, crookery, favouritism' in the Draw!! Do not buy Bonds if you harbour thoughts that somehow the Draw is not fair. I believe that it is totally above board, random selection etc., but cynics might say that I'm happy in the illusions I cherish! So be it.

I'll tell you how I fared for the full year of 2014 - not great, but O.K. I suppose, and I see no reason whatever for secrecy in this matter. On €60K worth of Bonds (from 1st Jan. - 31st Dec. 2014) I had 24 wins, always €50, so that's €1,200. I get it paid into my Bank and a letter came from them each time informing me that this has been done.

Look up www.prizebonds.ie and you get all the info. there, how to purchase etc. and details of personal identification stuff (if you are a first time buyer). It is simple. You will not get a pile of Bonds (!) ... you'll get one Bond in the post which will show the numbers a-z of your purchase.

I hope this helps. Apart from that, all I can do is wish you all the luck in the world, not alone in 2015. :)

Well done on the winnings :) Better than what youd get in a bank anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭eamonn147

Thats allot of bonds fair play to you, ill be honest to, unfortunately i dont have savings like that, i have 6300 in prizebonds since start of dec and have won nothing so far, i am going to put another 8000 in before end of jan so ill have over 14k in then, i was going to use the 8k to pay of the capital on my mortgage ,when my 2 year fixed term is up in october but though i might as well put it into prizebonds and try and pay maybe 65 a month extra from october and knock a grand a year of the capital until interest rates start to increase then maybe cash in the 8k in bonds to knock of the capital, or I may leave it in bonds..So far ive won nothing but find it an exciting alternative to the lotto and with interst rates and with dirt banks arent attractive, at least im not losing my money and am putting myself in a position for a possible prize big or small.. I also am thinking of putting my daughters child benefit as a direct debit into bonds at 125 a month until she is 16 or 17 to save for college, or may save it for ten years in bonds then transfer it into a ten year savings bond hopefully at a higher rate of return then 25 percent which is really only 2.5 percent a year..ive loads going on in my head but im 35 and gotta start planning for my future...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭nhg

I was storing away our 2014 Prize Bond purchases last night & calculated our 2014 wins. We purchase €200 by DD every month. At the 1/1/14 we had €2400 worth (plus some odd bits & pieces over the years including wins from 2013 as we re-invest our wins - we count them as a bonus), during 2014 we had 5 x €50 wins = €250 on the DD batch, so happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

nhg wrote: »
    I was storing away our 2014 Prize Bond purchases last night & calculated our 2014 wins. We purchase €200 by DD every month. At the 1/1/14 we had €2400 worth (plus some odd bits & pieces over the years including wins from 2013 as we re-invest our wins - we count them as a bonus), during 2014 we had 5 x €50 wins = €250 on the DD batch, so happy with that.
    I do the same. Have about 2200 currently.

And in comparison, won NOTHING.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭robwen

Thargor wrote: »
    Woo-hoo, thought I was going to finish the year dry but just got home to the parents house there and there was a €50 win waiting for me :D

Thats Total winnings since Oct 2014 on €15k: €50

Will be bringing that up to €30k at the end of January and leaving it for a year, the win rate would want to pick up in a big way to get me to leave my money with them though...

I have €30k in bonds since Oct 2014 aswell & I`m still waiting on my first win

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

A young whippershnapper like myself has been buying €100 worth of prize bonds every fortnight since the start of december. Up to €300 now, cant wait to see what happens with them

• Advertisement

Winnings from last three draws: €0

Advertisement