Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k invested in prize bonds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭FoolsGold1

Winnings from today's draw - Nil
    Last win 23/12/14 - €50

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

nhg wrote: »
    I was storing away our 2014 Prize Bond purchases last night & calculated our 2014 wins. We purchase €200 by DD every month. At the 1/1/14 we had €2400 worth (plus some odd bits & pieces over the years including wins from 2013 as we re-invest our wins - we count them as a bonus), during 2014 we had 5 x €50 wins = €250 on the DD batch, so happy with that.

nhg - that's an amazing return - €250 on €2400 in a year! The general return is c1% - your bonds must be screaming out to be picked!

Thank God, back winning today - €50 - first win since 20th Nov I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭eamonn147

1008 bonds bought 20.11.14

first win today : 50 euro happy days

they say you have to submit your bond cert to get your winnings. I thought they post it to you.if i send the original bond cert they may keep it then ive no proof of my bonds..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

eamonn147 wrote: »

they say you have to submit your bond cert to get your winnings. I thought they post it to you.if i send the original bond cert they may keep it then ive no proof of my bonds..

Congrats eamonn, no need to send in the prize bond, you will have your cheque in the post midweek :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭lorenzo87

Bought 1,000 worth of bonds on December 15th.. Paid online via debit card.
    Said 7-10 working days it should take.. Rang today, asked where they were and they said I need to send in documentation to prove who I am! Surely they should have said that to me when I bloody purchased the bonds. I already had 100 euro of bonds from previous so they must have had documents somewhere. Anyways, sent off the stuff, just highly frustrating as I have missed a good few draws already even though they have my thousand quid for the past 3 and a half weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

A young whippershnapper like myself has been buying €100 worth of prize bonds every fortnight since the start of december. Up to €300 now, cant wait to see what happens with them
    Good luck to you but brace for absolutely nothing with those figures :D

Its a struggle to get €50 with 5 figure sums invested these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Thargor wrote: »
    Good luck to you but brace for absolutely nothing with those figures :D

Its a struggle to get €50 with 5 figure sums invested these days.

Its a good way to save if anything, the arent as liquid as the savings account I have.

Sure this is it, live in hope not expectation, hopefully ill get lucky :D

Definitely a good way to save even if you never win with savings rates in the state they are plus fees etc. All those people buying multiple quick pick lines and scratch cards every week would be a lot better off buying a few bonds instead and letting it pile up.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

Hi folks, what are the pros and cons of purchasing a six figure sum of prize bonds? I have a few euro lined up for a potential property purchase but cant pull the trigger as nothing suitable is available. Interest rates are poor at the moment so I am prepared to absorb the difference in winnings and interest on savings.

• Advertisement

The pros and cons? Many everywhere these days, mostly cons! Anyway, let's say "As safe as the country". I believe that you certainly will not be the only 6 Figure merchant in at the deep end. It stands to reason that the more tickets you have in the hat, the greater the chance of one of yours coming out. IF you are really lucky, you could win BIG money. On the other hand, weeks could pass without a mention. I stated recently that on 60K for the complete year of 2014 I won €1,200 (24 x €50) - some weeks nothing at all, and then maybe two wins in the one week. That's not great, but better than the legendary Shanahan's Stamps. I live in hopes without holding my breath!

As I see it, the main con in your case is that if your dream house comes on the market you won't be able to reclaim your money until three months have elapsed since purchase date. However, in spite of what we read, houses are not shifting that fast anyway, so that might not signify to any great extent.

As am no expert, I'm sure you'll get better advice from others who are more up-to-date with the ways of the world. Best wishes. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

€50 today !

€50 today !
    On how much for how long?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

What can I do with quite old Irish Pound bonds? I received them from a deceased relative so they aren't in my name

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pbwinner

What can I do with quite old Irish Pound bonds? I received them from a deceased relative so they aren't in my name
    They have an FAQ on their website for just such a situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Winnings from last three draws: €0
    Last win 3rd October 2014: €50
    Total winnings since Feb 2011 on €25k: €1850

Are you mentioned in the will? Could be tricky if not. Dont worry about Punts, they would all have been converted when we joined the Euro.

Winnings from today's draw - €150 (€50 x 3)
    Last win 23/12/14 - €50

Good going!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭robwen

First win today €50! Have €30,000 invested since October 2014

• Advertisement

no wins today

with 1008 bonds since december I won 50 euro last week.
    Got another 1227 bonds this week so over 14k in bonds so hoping for a decent return this year. but happy with a 50 win last week. its exiting checking the draw..hoping to put another grand in early feb..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

I'm going to be able to put €4,000 into savings soon. I'm wondering would I be better off putting the money into the bank or prize bonds? I'm not really up on investment knowledge.

I'm going to be able to put €4,000 into savings soon. I'm wondering would I be better off putting the money into the bank or prize bonds? I'm not really up on investment knowledge.

put it into prizebnds or 10 year bond if u can afford to but it wud only work out a 100 a yer at 25 percent over 10 yrs at least with prizebonds ur in a weekly fraw

Thanks for your reply. I will need to access the money after 3 years so the prizebonds might be the best idea. From what I've read, over €6 is the minimum to invest weekly? If that's the minimum, do you still get entered into the weekly draw?

Thanks for your reply. I will need to access the money after 3 years so the prizebonds might be the best idea. From what I've read, over €6 is the minimum to invest weekly? If that's the minimum, do you still get entered into the weekly draw?

units are sold 25 euro each mininum purchase you could stick it away for 3 years at 2.5 perent tax free post office savings?

I'm thinking of starting a savings account for my daughter. So if I saved €25 per month, I'd still be entered into the draw? I think I'll put the €4,000 in Prizebonds for a year to see how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

No Regular investment needed for prizebonds...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Can you just buy these at the post office over the counter or is it an application passport and direct debit job

with the prizebond pot decreasing over the last few years do people think it will go up to maybe 1.9 percent again as the economy recovers..will the bi monthly million euro prize increase the every month again.. what do people think??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭jrmb

sasta le wrote:
    Can you just buy these at the post office over the counter or is it an application passport and direct debit job

You make your first purchase at the post office. It's just like opening any other savings account - you need proof of identity, address and PPS number.

When you get the certificate in the post, you'll be able to buy more online using your debit card.

Advertisement