Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k invested in prize bonds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭eamonn147

Negative_G wrote: »
    I was sucessful today with my bank draft. I rang the state savings office prior to going in and they did confirm that they accept them so it was a relatively efficient process.

I've invested 50k. I would be happy to leave it there for a year and take my chances. I might not win a penny but as I and others have said, current rates on offer from the banks are awful. The meagre interest earned then is hit by DIRT which adds further insult to injury. I haven't the knowledge or time to commit to stocks/shares, so for me this is a risk free way to potentially see modest returns whilst always having peace of mind.

I guess I just have to wait for my confirmation letter to arrive so hopefully will be processed in time to be in the next draw.

I'll post results if and when they happen!

50 k that's 8000 bonds u stand a good chance of a good return. ive now jyst over 20 k in as of this week. I have had bonds since end of november and won 50 quid so far.. I may need to take out 5 k in a few years which was savings fir next car but u never know I cud win a few grand that's the exciting part .we arent gaining interest or losing our money were just putting ourselves in a position to win a prize..the 50 euro I won was on a batch of bonds of 6300 euro I bought in november so happy days..

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭eamonn147

Negative_G wrote: »
    I was sucessful today with my bank draft. I rang the state savings office prior to going in and they did confirm that they accept them so it was a relatively efficient process.

I've invested 50k. I would be happy to leave it there for a year and take my chances. I might not win a penny but as I and others have said, current rates on offer from the banks are awful. The meagre interest earned then is hit by DIRT which adds further insult to injury. I haven't the knowledge or time to commit to stocks/shares, so for me this is a risk free way to potentially see modest returns whilst always having peace of mind.

I guess I just have to wait for my confirmation letter to arrive so hopefully will be processed in time to be in the next draw.

I'll post results if and when they happen!

50 k that's 8000 bonds u stand a good chance of a good return. ive now jyst over 20 k in as of this week. I have had bonds since end of november and won 50 quid so far.. I may need to take out 5 k in a few years which was savings fir next car but u never know I cud win a few grand that's the exciting part .we arent gaining interest or losing our money were just putting ourselves in a position to win a prize..the 50 euro I won was on a batch of bonds of 6300 euro I bought in november so happy days..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

could you buy a sizeable chunk maybe 15 or 20k by credit card?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,936 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

No limited to 1000-1500 a day, cant remember which and its debit cards not credit I think also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

I went into the Post Office today and I think I opened a PBs account. I filled out the form and bought 25 euros worth of PBs. The guy at the counter didn't ask for i.d or anything. What should happen now?

• Advertisement

Your bonds will come in the post. Completely pointless with amounts like that though unless you're switching from doing the Lotto every week or something like that. They'll ask for ID if you go over a certain amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

Thanks for your reply. Yeah I'm switching from the lotto, I want to save a little and that's just to get me started. The guy in the post office said that if I wanted to buy more, I'd have to fill in the form again? I don't understand that bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

I have contacted them regarding old prizebonds that i will be looking to get updated then will start doing the lotto in the bookies and prob get €25 euro worth of prizebonds a month to save up and always have the opportunity to win a prize (albeit a very small chance).

Thanks for your reply. Yeah I'm switching from the lotto, I want to save a little and that's just to get me started. The guy in the post office said that if I wanted to buy more, I'd have to fill in the form again? I don't understand that bit.
    Once you have an account number you can buy anything up to a grands worth on the website with a debit card every day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

In the four years since this thread has been going has anybody won more than 250 euro?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

chopper6 wrote: »
    In the four years since this thread has been going has anybody won more than 250 euro?

I have won €450 since November 2012, on an increasing number of Prize Bonds, currently worth €7,700, all in €75s and €50s. I know somebody (not on here) who has had a €20,000 win (and many smaller ones) on a €30k investment in PB's.

Some Wednesday when that Killarney stamped letter drops in the door .........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I've seen a €1000 prize winner over on askaboutmoney.

Think he had €70k invested though...

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭lorenzo87

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    I have won €450 since November 2012, on an increasing number of Prize Bonds, currently worth €7,700, all in €75s and €50s. I know somebody (not on here) who has had a €20,000 win (and many smaller ones) on a €30k investment in PB's.

Do you not check your numbers online every Friday? :)
    I think you are notified by e-mail too if you win?

lorenzo87 wrote: »
    Do you not check your numbers online every Friday? :)
    I think you are notified by e-mail too if you win?

Most times I don't, if I am on here and see the topic coming up it is hard to resist, I certainly don't get notified by email (not sure they have my email address?), if I haven't checked the little heart beats somewhat faster when the distinctive envelope drops through the letterbox.

Yeah the envelope through the door is way more fun than checking a website.

Thargor wrote: »
    Yeah the envelope through the door is way more fun than checking a website.

Any winnings I get go automatically back into the bonds though so I have to check.

Mine do too so its an envelope to say I won followed by another envelope 3 days later with €50 worth of new bonds in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

anyone know whats the easiest way to sell prize bonds?

talking a couple of hundred at the most.

can you just rock up to your local post office?

Cute Hoor wrote: »

I meant has anybody on this page won any amount greater than 250 euro..in four years?

In fact prizes greater than 50 euro (or 75 as it used to bee) seem to be of the utmost rarity and it seems almost nobody with less than 25k invested wins anything at all.

Yeah the recent cuts were crazy, only one 50k prize a month now and the rest in €50. Ill use them to store a lump sum until I decide what Im doing this year then probably never use them again.

• Advertisement

Yeah the recent cuts were crazy, only one 50k prize a month now and the rest in €50. Ill use them to store a lump sum until I decide what Im doing this year then probably never use them again.

It strikes me that people who invest pretty large sums (20-50K) have a good chance of receiving a regular pittance that they mistake for an actual return on thier substantial investment.

As no actual interest is being paid the value of the investments is being steadily eaten away by inflation while people seem delighted to recieve a cheque for 50 euro every so often.

How much have they cut the prizes may I ask?
    Was it much more lucrative in the past?

How much have they cut the prizes may I ask?
    Was it much more lucrative in the past?

The ONLY prize anybody seems to win with any regularity is the 50 euro prize...this has been reduced from 75 euro..as for the other "prizes" there just doesnt seem to be any evidence of anybody winning them.

The ONLY prize anybody seems to win with any regularity is the 50 euro prize...this has been reduced from 75 euro..as for the other "prizes" there just doesnt seem to be any evidence of anybody winning them.
    Funny how we hear who the new Lotto millionaires are practically every week but Prize Bonds have been paying out a million a month for years and Ive never heard it mentioned anywhere that someone won them...

Funny how we hear who the new Lotto millionaires are practically every week but Prize Bonds have been paying out a million a month for years and Ive never heard it mentioned anywhere that someone won them...

Yep..and i come from a family where EVERYBODY has prize bonds or knows somebody,or is related to somebody who has them and i have NEVER,ever heard of anybody winning more than 250 euro(or pounds).

I know at least three people that have won lotto jackpots or shared them as part of a syndicate.

Never a mention of who actually won..other than to say where they came from..it seems a bit odd to me.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/lucky-punter-becomes-millionaire-after-3775859

http://www.limerickpost.ie/2014/04/30/limericks-latest-prize-bond-millionaire/

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/enniscorthyguardian/news/prize-bonds-draw-produces-millionaire-27231668.html

http://www.northernstandard.ie/2011/08/05/monaghan-resident-is-latest-prize-bond-millionaire/

http://www.eveningecho.ie/news/cork-news/2013/12/31/cork-prize-bond-wins-e1-million/

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2013/02/22/4014593-meath-prize-bond-wins-1-million

http://www.clare.fm/news/millionaire-clare-prize-bond-holder

http://www.tuamherald.ie/news/roundup/articles/2014/03/28/4023469-galway-millionaire-celebrates-prize-bonds-win

http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/news/donegal-news/donegal-winner-scoops-20-000-in-prize-bonds-win-1-4239165

http://www.offalyexpress.ie/news/local-news/offaly-prize-bonds-millionaire-1-2015075

There seems to be a very good nationwide spread in relation to winnings which is also a bit strange and all the stories have this:
    Michael O’Keeffe, Chairman of the Prize Bond Company said, “Congratulations to our new Prize Bond millionaire from Offaly and to the thousands of other Prize Bond winners.”Prize Bonds are a State savings product which, instead of paying interest, offers bond holders the chance to win cash prizes every week. All winnings are tax-free, and Prize Bonds can be cashed in at any time after the minimum holding period of three months.

Tacked onto the end of the "report".

It looks no more or no less than an ad for a Govt "saving scheme" that doesnt pay more than 50 euro at a time despite huge amounts being invested.

I find it extremely fishy that not one person has been actually identified as winning a large prize.
    There is no proof at hand that you can actually win a large prize, unless someone can correct me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

There's maybe, 200k-500k bonds on boards? Being generous maybe...

That leaves a few billion bonds unaccountable and who in there right mind will stop the press to tell everyone, 'hey come target my gaff! I'm a millionaire!'.

i have NEVER,ever heard of anybody winning more than 250 euro(or pounds).

I know somebody who won €20,000

• Advertisement

I find it extremely fishy that not one person has been actually identified as winning a large prize.
    There is no proof at hand that you can actually win a large prize, unless someone can correct me.

I know somebody who won €20,000

Advertisement