Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k invested in prize bonds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,936 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

chopper6 wrote: »
    Once again, not an example, You claimed people in this thread think buying prize bonds is going to make them rich, in your example he says he doesn't care about the 20 euro interest he could earn in a conventional account so he'd rather leave it somewhere theres a chance of doing better, one 50 euro prize will leave him 150% better off than if he'd left it in the bank. This is not evidence for your original claim...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

I read through a good bit of the thread before I opened my PBs account. Realistically there aren't a lot of people on here who discuss their prizebonds. It could be 20 people maybe, a very small percentage and not representative of all people who have PBs. It is essentially a lottery at the end of the day and some people are just luckier than others. Just the luck of the draw.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

lorenzo87 wrote: »
    I have gone on record here saying I expect to win nothing, you pick out the little bits you want to pick out little girl.

But you just said there you expect to win a million.

You can name call all you want,i was only questioning why people throw money into prizebonds when nobody ever seems to win more than 50 euro,or at a push 250 euros.

Why are you being so defensive? Are you convinced that what you're doing is right or have you not thought it through and you're wondering if you made the right decision?

I read through a good bit of the thread before I opened my PBs account. Realistically there aren't a lot of people on here who discuss their prizebonds. It could be 20 people maybe, a very small percentage and not representative of all people who have PBs. It is essentially a lottery at the end of the day and some people are just luckier than others. Just the luck of the draw.

If anybody is willing to go online and tell the public they invested say,25k then they sure as hell wont have a problem going online to tell the public when they won a big prize.

And so far it just hasnt happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭lorenzo87

But you just said there you expect to win a million.

You can name call all you want,i was only questioning why people throw money into prizebonds when nobody ever seems to win more than 50 euro,or at a push 250 euros.

Why are you being so defensive? Are you convinced that what you're doing is right or have you not thought it through and you're wondering if you made the right decision?

Ok, please quote where I "expect" to win a million ?

I said "There is a possibility that I could win 50k or a million", however big or small the chance it, it is a possibility, unless you don't understand the difference between probability and expectation? You are making it up as you go along.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

Like I said, it's not a lot of people who post on here so the chances are slim anyway. They haven't lost any money so I don't see what the issue is.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭liam24

If anybody is willing to go online and tell the public they invested say,25k then they sure as hell wont have a problem going online to tell the public when they won a big prize.

And so far it just hasnt happened.

I invested 25,000 in prize bonds a little less than a year ago. Staggered over the last year I've invested a further 25,000, the last 5,000 being bought a couple of months ago. I've won 400 euros in prizes, which is in excess of what I would get with any BOI savings account.

Prize bonds are essentially a savings account where you gamble with your interest. If you invest enough, you'll get a steady income from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I asked a question..nobody has been able to answer it.

You don't have a "genuine interest in prizebonds"..you think that you're somehow going to be rich because of them,despite all evidence to the contrary.

This is a discussion thread and you don't get to tell me whether I'm wanted or not.

Well maybe you should start at page 1 of the thread and read what has been actually said, and for the record, of course I was being sarcastic as well you know when I declared I was going to win the million.

In short, prize bonds are a gamble, with a guarantee that your original investment is safe, and an added bonus that you could win a few quid. Nobody expects to win anything on them, but anything they do get is a bonus. I have made a gamble that the return I could possibly get from prize bonds is going to be better than the return I would get on a savings account. So far, I have been right and prize bond winnings are better than what I would have gotten in any savings bank, but I might have won nothing and that was a gamble I was willing to take.

I think you will see anybody in here with any sense, realises what they are doing and do not need keyboard warriors like you and topper_harley talking sh1te, so talk sense or get lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Temp locking this thread until the mods get a chance to review.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Thread was locked for bickering. I've opened it to see how things go. It will be locked for good if antics flare up again.

Ixus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 zelene79

Hi I found a prize bond while searching through attic it was in my old address so put the number into search on state saving site and it came up I had uncashed prize obviously as I had changed address and not notified them cheque had been sent to old address. I have since sent all the correspondabce needed and rang to check they were received but it 3 weeks and I have heard nothing does anyone know what the waiting time is for change of address and getting new cheque reissued?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭eamonn147

No win today unfortunately ive over 3200 bonds and have only won 50 quid this year but its the risk you take,,i am interested to know how the draw takes place and how come it is not televised even online..is it a computerised draw is it equal, fair and accurate??

zelene79 wrote: »
    Hi I found a prize bond while searching through attic it was in my old address so put the number into search on state saving site and it came up I had uncashed prize obviously as I had changed address and not notified them cheque had been sent to old address. I have since sent all the correspondabce needed and rang to check they were received but it 3 weeks and I have heard nothing does anyone know what the waiting time is for change of address and getting new cheque reissued?

how much did you win? you may be waiting a few weeks i would imagine have you rang them and given them your prizebond account number?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 zelene79

eamonn147 wrote: »
    how much did you win? you may be waiting a few weeks i would imagine have you rang them and given them your prizebond account number?

Does not tell me just told me I had uncashed prize as was more than 6 months old and to contact them, I rang them they told me what to send which I did then confirmed with them that they had received it but that was the 16th of January and nothing since.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

“Purpose of this thread is to give some indication of the success rate of PBs for the ordinary punter”
    The key words in the OP’s first post are “success rate” not return rate
    I think that like most people on this thread I didn’t invest in PB’s to get a % return
    At the time I bought my PB’s they offered an alternative option to opening a deposit account with one of the banks but now with the current prize fund and prize distribution this probably is not the case now.
    But having said that sad as it may be a deposit account would not provide me with the joyful anticipation I experience every Friday,
    Quickly followed by the soul crushing realization that I once again haven’t won.
    As Mastercard used to say “Priceless”

hi zelene 75 you should give them a ring and ask them when you will receive your check the good thing about a prizebond win is that if unclaimed it collects interest for the prizebond holder i dont know how much though.. for all you know you could have won anything from a million to 50 euro..just out of curiosity how many bonds did you buy and how long have you had them..

zelene79 wrote: »
    Does not tell me just told me I had uncashed prize as was more than 6 months old and to contact them, I rang them they told me what to send which I did then confirmed with them that they had received it but that was the 16th of January and nothing since.

hi zelene 79 you should give them a ring and ask them when you will receive your check the good thing about a prizebond win is that if unclaimed it collects interest for the prizebond holder i dont know how much though.. for all you know you could have won anything from a million to 50 euro..just out of curiosity how many bonds did you buy and how long have you had them..

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭XrayMike235

Nothing today. And I sent off my €16,000 PB for cashing in yesterday.

Didn't get the million, but got €1800 and it was fun while it lasted. Still have a few in, but the slim odds are even slimmer. We live in hope, no regrets.

Date of previous win: 09th Jan €50.

Total winnings since Feb 2008 on €18k: €1800

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

Still waiting on an answer from them regarding old bonds in my name. want to wait until i get that response before i buy more as i want to have them all together. They wrote out asking for more info. I sent that back to them one week ago

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭jrmb

I've been making small purchases regularly for a few months now.v Does anyone know whether there's a benefit to cashing them in and reinvesting in consecutive numbers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Nothing today. And I sent off my €16,000 PB for cashing in yesterday.

Didn't get the million, but got €1800 and it was fun while it lasted. Still have a few in, but the slim odds are even slimmer. We live in hope, no regrets.

Date of previous win: 09th Jan €50.

thats probably more than you would have gotten if you left it on deposit

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

Thanks for putting all this stuff up online for analysis etc. Quite interesting! So after 7 years, an increase of 10%. 1.42% per year. I can understand at the time the decision to try this, the situation/state of the economy was a completely different ballgame. In the end, it's little risk with little gain. An Post at the time had better rates for holding savings for 5-10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭FoolsGold1

No win since 16/01/15 when it was €150 (€50 x 3).

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭jrmb

The winner of 50k this week had a number beginning in YR, making theirs an immediate win.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Winnings from last draw: €0
    Last win 3rd October 2014: €50
    Total winnings since Feb 2011 on €25k: €1850

jrmb wrote: »
    I've been making small purchases regularly for a few months now.v Does anyone know whether there's a benefit to cashing them in and reinvesting in consecutive numbers?
    In theory, no, but the question has come up before on the thread.

eamonn147 wrote: »
    ,,i am interested to know how the draw takes place and how come it is not televised even online..is it a computerised draw is it equal, fair and accurate??

I asked this question some time back..nobody seems to know.

I asked this question some time back..nobody seems to know.

FAQs #8 and #18 on their website for a very detailed answer. If you are really interested in an official answer, then here's an idea: contact them! :rolleyes:

pbwinner wrote: »
    FAQs #8 and #18 on their website for a very detailed answer. If you are really interested in an official answer, then here's an idea: contact them! :rolleyes:

And no properly documented winners of the bigger prizes...ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

And no properly documented winners of the bigger prizes...ever.

What would you like to see by way of 'properly documented', their names, addresses, telephone numbers, photos etc published?

I presume you are happy enough now with how the draw is made?

Advertisement