Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k invested in prize bonds

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

pbwinner wrote: »
    FAQs #8 and #18 on their website for a very detailed answer. If you are really interested in an official answer, then here's an idea: contact them! :rolleyes:

And no properly documented winners of the bigger prizes...ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

chopper6 wrote: »

What would you like to see by way of 'properly documented', their names, addresses, telephone numbers, photos etc published?

I presume you are happy enough now with how the draw is made?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭XrayMike235

Thanks for putting all this stuff up online for analysis etc. Quite interesting! So after 7 years, an increase of 10%. 1.42% per year. I can understand at the time the decision to try this, the situation/state of the economy was a completely different ballgame. In the end, it's little risk with little gain. An Post at the time had better rates for holding savings for 5-10 years.
    Yes , could have potentially got a better return in a longer term savings bond, but I needed the money to hand, not locked up. Wasn't sure when I would need it but needed to know it was accessible. And I need it now, so cashing in. Sure I might have lost a bit of interest, but I enjoyed the game and the odd win. It was better when the prize funds was 3%, n the winnings were more regular, but overall no regrets.

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    What would you like to see by way of 'properly documented', their names, addresses, telephone numbers, photos etc published?

Lotto winners appear in the media all the time,often with much larger sums than whatever the PBs claim to be offering.

As I said earlier I personally know 3 people that have won the lotto jackpot...nobody anywhere appears to have heard of a PB millionaire and the "press releases" are vague at best,suspicious at worst.

In a four year old thread,with hundreds of thousands invested,nobody has won a prize greater than 250 euros.

I think whats happening is that people are being kept on the hook with the chimera that they *might* win a big prize but so far it just doesn't seem to be the case now does it?

What would you like to see by way of 'properly documented', their names, addresses, photos published?

You mean like this?

338053.jpg

338056.jpg

338057.jpg

338058.png

338059.jpg

• Advertisement

Lotto winners appear in the media all the time,often with much larger sums than whatever the PBs claim to be offering.

If you don't see a pic in the media of the €10m lottery winner this week will that be a chimera
    As I said earlier I personally know 3 people that have won the lotto jackpot...nobody anywhere appears to have heard of a PB millionaire

I know a couple of lotto jackpot winners myself (they went public) and I know one person who won €20k (he told me about it) in the PB's. It doesn't mean either or both are chimeras.

There is no way of publicising the fact that you are a PB winner other than making a public announcement yourself.

There is no way of publicising the fact that you are a PB winner other than making a public announcement yourself.

Somebody somewhere will have told somebody...

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Yes , could have potentially got a better return in a longer term savings bond, but I needed the money to hand, not locked up. Wasn't sure when I would need it but needed to know it was accessible. And I need it now, so cashing in. Sure I might have lost a bit of interest, but I enjoyed the game and the odd win. It was better when the prize funds was 3%, n the winnings were more regular, but overall no regrets.

Hi,
    I had the same idea with my PBs. As can be seen from my posts, my winnings have virtually stopped since October. I don't know if this because of merely a run of bad luck, or whether the PB fund has reached such a size that the odds are now minuscule! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Negative_G

I'm not sure why you persist on posting in this thread when it was recently closed as a result of bickering.

You've made it abundantly clear that you find Prize Bonds a waste of time and that is your opinion, which you are perfectly entitled to.

The purpose of this thread is for people to gauge the success of prize bonds relative to the amount invested and it has worked well for quite some time.

It appears that nobody here has the answers to your questions so I would suggest you contact Prize Bonds directly yourself instead of derailing the thread.

Your posts are becoming increasingly tiresome.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@chopper6 - please post on topic. You are taking the thread off topic with this continued discussion.

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭dosebier

winnings this draw - 0
    Winnings in total since 2013 - €200 (4 x 50)
    Total stake - around 5k i think.

actually found €200 in bonds during a clear out this weekend that were un checked (but no wins on them)

Does anyone know if you can tell how old a bond is by the number/code?
    Would like to see that detail on the winning bonds each week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Thinking of chancing 3k in these?Easy to buy in the post office

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭jrmb

dosebier wrote: »
    It's odd that they don't include the issue date. Out of interest, what letter(s) do they begin with?

dosebier wrote: »

Don't know if there is a way of finding out, but here is a rough guide:

Starting with AN - March 1990
    Starting with BC - May 1995
    Starting with BU - May 1998
    Starting with CA - January 1999
    Starting with CM - January 2000
    Starting with CX - January 2001
    Starting with DL - January 2002
    Starting with DY - January 2003
    Starting with ET - January 2004
    Starting with FN - January 2005
    Starting with GI - January 2006
    Starting with HE - January 2007
    Starting with IB - January 2008
    Starting with JU - January 2009
    Starting with MC - January 2010
    Starting with OM - January 2011
    Starting with QK - January 2012
    Starting with SO - January 2013
    Starting with VN - January 2014
    Starting with YK - January 2015

If you want to find out the month of any particular bond (between May 1998 up to date) gimme a shout and I should be able to come up with it for you.

Looks like they are going to run out of numbers this year so will have to come up with a new numbering system.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭dosebier

Don't know if there is a way of finding out, but here is a rough guide:

Starting with AN - March 1990
    Starting with BC - May 1995
    Starting with BU - May 1998
    Starting with CA - January 1999
    Starting with CM - January 2000
    Starting with CX - January 2001
    Starting with DL - January 2002
    Starting with DY - January 2003
    Starting with ET - January 2004
    Starting with FN - January 2005
    Starting with GI - January 2006
    Starting with HE - January 2007
    Starting with IB - January 2008
    Starting with JU - January 2009
    Starting with MC - January 2010
    Starting with OM - January 2011
    Starting with QK - January 2012
    Starting with SO - January 2013
    Starting with VN - January 2014
    Starting with YK - January 2015

If you want to find out the month of any particular bond (between May 1998 up to date) gimme a shout and I should be able to come up with it for you.

Looks like they are going to run out of numbers this year so will have to come up with a new numbering system.

Cheers for that.
    Would be nice to see the dates issued per bond on the weekly draws (if anyone involved Prizebonds is watching :-) ) to give a little more detail for us to ponder on each week.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭jrmb

Cute Hoor wrote:

Going through the winning numbers, some of them begin with a single letter. Maybe they'll go to AAA.

jrmb wrote: »
    Going through the winning numbers, some of them begin with a single letter. Maybe they'll go to AAA.

I'd be pretty sure that's what they'll do, they used just numbers first before they went to the single letter

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭lorenzo87

Total Purchased so far is €2,050.
    Nothing won yet, but early days. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 AineK77

Following.......have invested 10K since Christmas and my mother has invested 5K so we'll see how we get on. I have €200 for the last few years but won nothing - will see if the bigger investments come to anything.........

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Winnings from last draw: €0
    Last win 3rd October 2014: €50
    Total winnings since Feb 2011 on €25k: €1850

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭goose06

First win €50
    Total winnings since May 2014 on €1300: €50

• Registered Users Posts: 21 AineK77

Whoop whoop goose6 so that's more than you would have got if you left it on deposit for a year (easy access accounts only about 1.5% now) and no DIRT so that is worth celebrating :-)

AineK77 wrote: »
    Whoop whoop goose6 so that's more than you would have got if you left it on deposit for a year (easy access accounts only about 1.5% now) and no DIRT so that is worth celebrating :-)

Yes trying to decide what to spend my winnings on :-)

Is there a process for converting these straight back into bonds?

Nice one Goose.
    Yes, I have mine set up so that they automatically go back into bonds, when I purchased mine online.

No win today for myself, €2,050 invested so far.

lorenzo87 wrote: »
    Nice one Goose.
    Yes, I have mine set up so that they automatically go back into bonds, when I purchased mine online.

No win today for myself, €2,050 invested so far.

How do you do that?

goose06 wrote: »
    How do you do that?

Ring them up and tell them to put all winnings back into bonds, takes a second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

SFA today but I only have €25 invested. Will buy €4,000 worth of bonds next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

pbwinner wrote: »
    Hi,
    I had the same idea with my PBs. As can be seen from my posts, my winnings have virtually stopped since October. I don't know if this because of merely a run of bad luck, or whether the PB fund has reached such a size that the odds are now minuscule! :confused:

The number of prizes has been axed from 9000+ last October to 6000+ weekly - that's a lot of disappointed bondholders each week.

However, having said that i won 2 X €50 this week and 1 x €50 last week (on a big lot of bonds).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

AineK77 wrote: »
    Whoop whoop goose6 so that's more than you would have got if you left it on deposit for 4 years (easy access accounts only about 1.5% now) and no DIRT so that is worth celebrating :-)
    FTFY

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Negative_G

First win today also of €100 (2 x €50). This was only my second draw so hopefully my luck will continue.

Winnings from last draw: €0
    Last win 13th Feb 2015: €100
    Total winnings since Feb 2015 on €50k: €100

Advertisement