Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k invested in prize bonds

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Have to say their new website doesn't appeal to me at all - I find it far harder to negotiate than the old one.

I dont think you can do that. You either win or dont:P

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭jrmb

Have to say their new website doesn't appeal to me at all - I find it far harder to negotiate than the old one.
    How recent is their current one?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Well spotted Bruthal - Negotiate/navigate - it's all the same to me!!!!

JRMB - Around the same time as they dropped the amount of prizes from 9000+ to 6000+ - 6 months or so ago.

Thanks TG. I didn't notice. It's still very low tech.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dionysius2

JRMB - Around the same time as they dropped the amount of prizes from 9000+ to 6000+ - 6 months or so ago.

And will there ever be a restoration to former prize levels or is this irreversible ?

:)€50 today!

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Winnings from last draw: €0
    Last win 3rd October 2014: €50
    Total winnings since Feb 2011 on €25k: €1850

Nothing for me again today. I'm starting to get bored :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Dionysius2 wrote: »
    And will there ever be a restoration to former prize levels or is this irreversible ?

The prize levels for the prize bonds dropped in line with the interest rates being paid by other state savings products, so when those rates go back up I would expect the prize bond prize levels to go back up as well.

No win today :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭lorenzo87

Still seeking first win. Now have €2,350 in bonds.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,936 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

You could literally be waiting for the rest of your life on those kinds of amounts. I think if you're saving regularly it might be better to just sign up to a pension fund and pay into that than prize bonds these days tbh. A PRSA even if your company doesnt offer pension plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭dosebier

No win today for me :(

Winner of €1M = someone very lucky in Dublin tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭eamonn147

Thargor wrote: »
    You could literally be waiting for the rest of your life on those kinds of amounts. I think if you're saving regularly it might be better to just sign up to a pension fund and pay into that than prize bonds these days tbh. A PRSA even if your company doesnt offer pension plans.

Hello Thargor

ive 20k in prize bonds a bit disappointed with only one 50 euro win since i invested four months ago what kind of money would you need in them for a good return even though its luck based.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭lorenzo87

eamonn147 wrote: »
    Hello Thargor

ive 20k in prize bonds a bit disappointed with only one 50 euro win since i invested four months ago what kind of money would you need in them for a good return even though its luck based.

Pbwinner invested 25k and he has made €1,850 in his 3-4 years which is a nice little return. It's pot luck Eamonn, but your days will come, it's only been 4 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

eamonn147 wrote: »
    Hello Thargor

check out posts by a user named Dub_nerd on www.askaboutmoney.com
    as to what you can reasonably expect for that level of investment.
    He has done great work on explaining the odds.

I got the statement I requested. I have an extra £5 unit that I didn't know about. Still no wins though.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

Dionysius2 wrote: »
    And will there ever be a restoration to former prize levels or is this irreversible ?[/QUOTE

To get to the 10k €50 prize level thePB fund has to grow to around 2.89 billion I reckon the fund is about 2.206 as of end Jan 15.
    Taking an average of a million a day sales in new PBs your looking at about Oct/Nov 2017.
    This is provided everything stays the same, interest, prize distribution, new sales.

check out posts by a user named Dub_nerd on www.askaboutmoney.com
    as to what you can reasonably expect for that level of investment.
    He has done great work on explaining the odds.

Amazing work and very interesting reading. Thanks for the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭FoolsGold1

No win on 27th Feb. either.
    Last win 16/1/15 - €150 (3 x €50)

• Advertisement

I think the Prize Bond buzz has worn off for me. I'll probably keep my holding until my most recent bonds are 3 months old. Deposit account interest isn't great but it's more certain than the €50 I might win.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭eamonn147

will prizebond prizes increase..there should be a 500000 bi monthly prize instead of a million every other month and more 1000 prizes

I'd love to see a wider band of prizes rather than a bi monthly €1M prize (which is very unlikely for me to ever win) and then the next prize just €1k in that draw. Thats a huge gap.
    I think it would be better to split it out into multiple 10k/50k/100k wins and maybe a 250/500k top prize.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dionysius2

dosebier wrote: »
    I'd love to see a wider band of prizes rather than a bi monthly €1M prize (which is very unlikely for me to ever win) and then the next prize just €1k in that draw. Thats a huge gap.
    I think it would be better to split it out into multiple 10k/50k/100k wins and maybe a 250/500k top prize.

I concur. The prize distribution is cockeyed and deserves to be reviewed and adjusted along the lines suggested. I was going to make a largish investment but think I'll hold off awhile. The prizes are simply unattractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Nothing grabs attention like €1 million.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Winnings from last draw: €0
    Last win 3rd October 2014: €50
    Total winnings since Feb 2011 on €25k: €1850

Nothing today :(

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

Based on todays draw, the PB fund is about 2,231,480,000 Euro,
    That's just over 357 million bonds.

So for a single bond you have a 1 in 357,036,800 chance of winning the million prize

If you had a €100k in bonds you are likely to win a prize once every 3 to 4 weeks,
    €10k would be 1 to 2 times a year and €1k would be a win every 6 years,

Most if not all your winnings would be of the €50 prize.
    My experience over the last 2 years has been mainly €50s and a few €100s.

nothing again today for me. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

Still waiting for the first elusive win :)) With 15.5k the odds isn't great. Costs roughly 225e pa. Wonder if you played 4e a week on the euro millions vs this which would come out ahead. Both cost roughly the same.

Advertisement