Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k invested in prize bonds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

shuyin1 wrote: »
    Still waiting for the first elusive win :)) With 15.5k the odds isn't great. Costs roughly 225e pa. Wonder if you played 4e a week on the euro millions vs this which would come out ahead. Both cost roughly the same.

Odds of winning a prize is 1 in 13 so if you play twice a week you can expect 8 wins a year which works out at about €33 for every €208 invested at the lowest prize amount. Probably slightly more if you factor in all the other potential prizes. If your €15.5k now stood at €2.5k I doubt you'd be impressed! Not sure how it's costing you €225 a year to invest in prize bonds?

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭jrmb

L'prof wrote:
    Not sure how it's costing you €225 a year to invest in prize bonds?
    A savings account would gain that much in interest. With Prize Bonds, you basically gamble with the interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭cppilot98

I have £20 in prize bonds since the 1980s. Never won a penny or a cent. In the 1990s I invested £1000 in bonds. After about four years I cashed them in having won nothing whatsoever.

Unsurprisingly I'm not particularly impressed bt the returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,936 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

jrmb wrote: »
    A savings account would gain that much in interest. With Prize Bonds, you basically gamble with the interest.
    Which savings account is paying 2-2.5% after DIRT?

Thargor wrote:
    Which savings account is paying 2-2.5% after DIRT?
    Nationwide UK offers 4% AER on amounts lower than 15,000 if you lodge between one hundred and one thousand euros monthly. That makes more sense to me than keeping my bonds and purchasing some more every money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,936 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

But for a lump sum that you want to keep around for a year or two and be able to access the bonds are basically the same as any of the crap on offer at the minute, Im currently way ahead of the banks on my 15k.

True, but with 2000 I'm falling behind and many of my bonds are less than 3 months old.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Lads, does anyone know what you do if you've lost your bonds? We were clearing out parts of the house recently and the only thing I can't find afterwards is the bonds, so they might have been binned by accident.

As far as I know they're registered to me so they'd be useless to anyone else, is that right? I'd just like to get another copy of them. I sent an email to prizebonds last week but they still haven't gotten back to me.

As far as I know they're registered to me so they'd be useless to anyone else, is that right? I'd just like to get another copy of them. I sent an email to prizebonds last week but they still haven't gotten back to me.
    They can send a full statement of your numbers, as long as your name and address haven't changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Again - Nothing today:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Winnings from last draw: €0
    Last win 3rd October 2014: €50
    Total winnings since Feb 2011 on €25k: €1850

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

That's a long gap pbwinner
    Really should be better returns with that amount invested.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭dosebier

nothing again this week for me either :(

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭paddythe goat

good luck with bonds....i understand you may earn about 2 per cent profit....bit better than banks or credit unions......wish the dirt tax would reduce by a lot....come on fg and labour....banks or po should do savings scheme.....??

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭lorenzo87

shuyin1 wrote: »
    That's a long gap pbwinner
    Really should be better returns with that amount invested.

It's random, no guaranteed returns no matter how much money you have in there. €1,850 tax free profit on 25k looks pretty nice to my eyes, a 7.4% return, try beat that in a bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭FoolsGold1

Not too unusual, I suppose, but no win on FRIDAY, 13th - tipping the Ides of March too! A no-hoper.
    Last win €150 on 16/01/15 (3 x €50)

come on fg and labour....banks or po should do savings scheme.....??
    That's the national solidarity bond

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

lorenzo87 wrote: »
    It's random, no guaranteed returns no matter how much money you have in there. €1,850 tax free profit on 25k looks pretty nice to my eyes, a 7.4% return, try beat that in a bank.
    "Total winnings since Feb 2011 on €25k: €1850"
    Easily missed but its over a couple of yrs, have to be really lucky to win that much annually :)

Its a raffle essentially, bit of a laugh. No one seriously expects a constant return, its the once off out of the ordinary 1/300m+ that gets people buying.

Best of luck everyone, there always the next Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭FoolsGold1

Thank you...that's the spirit...a good luck token for the Fridays to come!:)

Ok, threw some more money in... €3,600 in now, nothing won as of yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Oh no! :(

Now I'm the lowest bond holder with a whiff of a chance (€2700).

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭johny33

i put in 25e just to get registered and be able to do the rest online...won 50 a month later :D

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭goose06

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Oh no! :(

Now I'm the lowest bond holder with a whiff of a chance (€2700).

Don't feel bad I've half that and won €50 a few weeks back, it'll probably be my one and only win though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭eamonn147

hi lorenzo so do you have a few separate bond certificates then? i am thinking of buying momthly but dont want loads of bond cerfificates so trying to save to buy more

eamonn147 wrote: »
    hi lorenzo so do you have a few separate bond certificates then? i am thinking of buying momthly but dont want loads of bond cerfificates so trying to save to buy more

Hi Eamonn, yes I have 6 or 7 bonds certificates at this stage, but you can put the numbers stored in your prizebonds account online too incase you ever lost a cert.

Hi Eamonn, yes I have 6 or 7 bonds certificates at this stage, but you can put the numbers stored in your prizebonds account online too incase you ever lost a cert.

I have a relative who had 8 pound in premium bonds the UK version of prize bonds since 1954 and he never won a penny and cashed them in and got 8 pound. his argument is 8 pounds in 1954 was worth a hell of allot more than 8 pound in todays terms..

I have a relative who had 8 pound in premium bonds the UK version of prize bonds since 1954 and he never won a penny and cashed them in and got 8 pound. his argument is 8 pounds in 1954 was worth a hell of allot more than 8 pound in todays terms..

That's a fair argument Eamonn, £8 back then was surely worth 5-6 times what it's worth now. Mind you, the Euro has gone to pot in value in recent times, should bond holders who invested 10 years ago have the value of their bonds decreased?

That's a fair argument Eamonn, £8 back then was surely worth 5-6 times what it's worth now. Mind you, the Euro has gone to pot in value in recent times, should bond holders who invested 10 years ago have the value of their bonds decreased?

its hard to know all i know is that i want to win and have bought into prizebonds big time..its very exciting each friday checkig my numbers yet disappointing also..its an alternative to the lotto..why have u prizebonds??

its hard to know all i know is that i want to win and have bought into prizebonds big time..its very exciting each friday checkig my numbers yet disappointing also..its an alternative to the lotto..why have u prizebonds??

I have prizebonds as it's a hard way to access the money, so first and foremost for me I am not in it to win anything, but to save some money. If I win something well and good, but it won't bother me if I don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

:pac:

A house or a car are still the same price! (Well, not cheap!)

Compare the price of a house in '54 to now! :eek:

Advertisement