Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k invested in prize bonds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

wrote:

According to that Irish Times article, "New figures from the National Treasury Management Agency, which runs State Savings, show that as of the end of June, some € 2.3 billion was invested in about 371 million individual prize bonds."

Invested? Do we also "invest" in the Lotto?

I have 53 units here, going back to 1995. I'm going to cash them in. Apparently, each unit is sold for €6.25. So €6.25 x 53 = €331.25. I've two questions.

First, does it take them long to repay you and how do they know you're the rightful owner? (the repayment form doesn't ask for proof of identity.)

Second, if I cannot find the number/bond for all my bonds, is it possible they can refund me if I ask them to refund all bonds with my name and address? (if not, they must profit by the inevitably high number of bonds that are just physically lost over the decades)

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Apparently, each unit is sold for €6.25. So €6.25

I have wondered about this, we joined the euro at a rate of 1euro 27cent to 1 Punt, now old prize bonds where original purchased for IR5 punts, so convert into euros that's worth €6.35, yet new bonds since the arrival of the euro are only valued at €6.25.
    So if your cashing in old prize bonds which where purchased at IR5 punts each, your losing 10cent for each bond or are your credited for this on the conversion rate from punts to euros, this shouldn't affect bonds purchased with euros.

Sligo Quay wrote: »
    I have wondered about this, we joined the euro at a rate of 1euro 27cent to 1 Punt, now old prize bonds where original purchased for IR5 punts, so convert into euros that's worth €6.35, yet new bonds since the arrival of the euro are only valued at €6.25.

Thanks for mentioning the figure of €6.35 as I then googled "Prize Bonds" and "€6.35" and I came across this: "Note: Prize Bonds purchased since 1 Jan 2002 are denominated in units of €6.25 but prior to that the unit value was €6.35".

I therefore recalculated, multiplying all my Prize Bonds before that date by €6.35 rather than €6.25.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭eamonn147

no win since april 13 this year..plus no wins on 13 k since last december getting sick of it now, if i put the 20k into a ten year bond id make 500 a year at the moment made 150 since december on pbs..3* 50 euro wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭FoolsGold1

Winnings from today's draw - €50
    Last win €50 on 26/6/15

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Well done Fools Gold - yet again, nothing for me today. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Sligo Quay wrote: »
    This thread is toooo long to read, but has anybody won the jackpot 1,000,000 or star prize 50.000, I've held 100 bonds since the 1980s and only in the last year 2 75euro wins, but now interest rates are so bad in saving bonds I've just purchased 20 grand worth of prize bonds, maybe hold them for 2 years see what happens, if I win de jackpot, I'II post here, but under a new user name :)
    The summary posts posted every Friday show how much people have invested, for how long, and how much they've won.

Winnings on 07 August 2015: €0
    Last win 29 May 2015: €50
    Total winnings since Feb 2011 on €25k: €1950

pbwinner wrote: »
    The summary posts posted every Friday show how much people have invested, for how long, and how much they've won.
    Thank you pbwinner I understand, I've now read most of the thread over the last few days, I haven't received my new bonds yet, but will post up any winnings, having held 100 bonds from the 1980s and only 2 small wins, it's all random luck, all we need is 1 big win, then that cancelled out all the loses :)

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭carrickbawn

Back to my regular .."sorry"
    Anyway,cant complain for a few more weeks..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭omerin

Is the draw random, by that I mean is it a free/open draw. If you look at the results Cork has between 800-900 winners, Dublin 2.9k-3k for the last few weeks, I haven't gone further back to look. How can the numbers be so consistent if it is an open draw?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

omerin wrote: »
    Is the draw random, by that I mean is it a free/open draw. If you look at the results Cork has between 800-900 winners, Dublin 2.9k-3k for the last few weeks, I haven't gone further back to look. How can the numbers be so consistent if it is an open draw?
    Principally, the law of large numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭honey12345

40k won nothing! I still enjoy checking every Friday though lol

After having them for up to 20 years and never winning anything, I posted all the Prize Bonds I could find to Killorglin last Thursday 6 August, by registered post. I checked my online banking details this morning, Tuesday 11 August, and they had transferred the money into my account.

Very efficient. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

gaiscioch wrote: »
    After having them for up to 20 years and never winning anything, I posted all the Prize Bonds I could find to Killorglin last Thursday 6 August, by registered post. I checked my online banking details this morning, Tuesday 11 August, and they had transferred the money into my account.

Very efficient. Fair play.
    Al you could find? Write to them telling them to cash in everything in your name and address to be sure you got everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dionysius2

PB's just not worth bothering about. Have taken most of mine out and will ditto the rest next week. Talk about queuing up to have your butt kicked !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Same, Im coming up to time to do another lump sum dump and I think this time Im just going to start pouring it into ETFs like was discussed in the pension thread. Might switch the PBs over to actual bonds for the very long term.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

As someone who has no prize bonds at present, I'm thinking of investing in them.

When I go on here to buy them, http://www.statesavings.ie/PrizeBondsApp/PurchaseBonds.aspx it looks for a customer number, however I have none.

Where do I get one?

You won't have one until after you have bought your first bonds.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Customer Account Number is a required field

Says this tho when trying to buy my first ones on the site.

• Advertisement

You can't buy your first ones online as - due to anti money laundering regulations - you need to produce three pieces of identification .

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(and again today - nothing :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Essex Man

me neither , getting a bit boring now , no word from pb winner today ? good luck marno 21 , as you can see we are not exactly rolling in prizes !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

All ye high rollers get out so more chance for me with my €25 to win. hehehe.

Essex Man wrote: »
    me neither , getting a bit boring now , no word from pb winner today ? good luck marno 21 , as you can see we are not exactly rolling in prizes !
    Sorry, a bit late updating today :-P Nothing won though.

Winnings on 14 August 2015: €0
    Last win 29 May 2015: €50
    Total winnings since Feb 2011 on €25k: €1950

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

PBWinner your ROI is approximately 2% p.a. since 2011.

How long are you intending on keeping your investment in Prize bonds out of curiosity ?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭carrickbawn

€50 yesterday,, But even with recent few wins it only brings my 6 month roi to 0.7%
    Not anything to get excited about...

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭honey12345

I have put an extra 10k into bonds about two weeks ago i still haven't received a letter from them last time i put 30k i got a letter within a week i haven't kept my receipt for the 10k i think I could have lost it...... WHAT TO DO.............

• Advertisement

honey12345 wrote: »
    I have put an extra 10k into bonds about two weeks ago i still haven't received a letter from them last time i put 30k i got a letter within a week i haven't kept my receipt for the 10k i think I could have lost it...... WHAT TO DO.............
    It can take up to 3 weeks, give State Savings a phone call, they will put you through to Prize Bonds, they will be able inform you if they have received.

Advertisement