Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k invested in prize bonds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭FoolsGold1

No win on 14th August, 2015.
    Last win €50 on 7th do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Negative_G

No win today.

After a good start I'm not experiencing somewhat of a drought with no win since June 5th.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pbwinner

marno21 wrote: »
    As someone who has no prize bonds at present, I'm thinking of investing in them.

When I go on here to buy them, http://www.statesavings.ie/PrizeBondsApp/PurchaseBonds.aspx it looks for a customer number, however I have none.

Where do I get one?

"Don't" would be the advice, if the returns posted in this thread are anything to go by :-P

PBWinner your ROI is approximately 2% p.a. since 2011.

How long are you intending on keeping your investment in Prize bonds out of curiosity ?

Hi TiGeR KiNgS,
    Someone asked me the same question on the thread some time ago as well. I gave a longer answer there, but in summary, since bank saving rates have fallen through the floor, there is no great incentive to take the money out.

However since the PB company changed the draw a few months ago, making winning regular prizes pretty much impossible, it does become harder to stay in the draw without feeling like a complete muppet for lending my money to the government at 0%!

I believe savings interest rates are on the way up again so I suppose it's a balancing act. If I was in actual need of the money, it would be the first thing I would take out, no doubt about it, and I wouldn't look back!

pbwinner

No win today either.
    Last win €50 on 7th August, 2015.

• Advertisement

Winnings on 21 August 2015: €0
    Last win 29 May 2015: €50
    Total winnings since Feb 2011 on €25k: €1950

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭eamonn147

last win april 17th : 50 euro
    win today: 50 euro
    total wins on 20k is 200 since december 2014..

however all my wins have been on a set of bonds of 6300 euro

maybe im being sceptical but i did send them a message complaining of the prize fund last week and low and behold a minimum win today..

i really do hope the prize bond draw id fully legit and legal..it should be televised or broadcast live online??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Slightly bigger smile today - 2 X €50 :)

That was 24th July - nothing since then until today - 2 X €50! :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

That was 24th July - nothing since then until today - 2 X €50! :):)
    Do you have a lot of bonds?

Thargor wrote: »
    Do you have a lot of bonds?

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Yes.
    That's nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭carrickbawn

Back to zero again today....

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

eamonn147 wrote: »

i really do hope the prize bond draw id fully legit and legal..it should be televised or broadcast live online??
    I've often wondered about this too, between 1985 & 1990 I purchased 100 prize bonds and won nothing, then 2012 I won €75 euro, 2013 I won another €75 euro, nothing since, but back in the 1980s the prizes where so much better IR100,000, 50,000, 25,000, 2 x10,000, serveral 5,000, this can be explained away by high interest rates at the time.
    The whole draw structor needs a revamp, one €1,000,000 prize every 2 months and thousands of €50 prizes is miserable, then again with low interest rates and low returns, maybe I'm a fool like pbwinner, I've just purchased 3,200 = €20,000, , hoping to win the million is probably a ''fool's dream'', maybe 10 prizes of €100,000 would probably make more sense, more chance of being struck by lightning than winning the million.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Sligo Quay wrote: »
    maybe 10 prizes of €100,000 would probably make more sense, more chance of being struck by lightning than winning the million.
    Would you be saying that if you won €1,000,000?

Winnings on 28 August 2015: €0

Nothing again today....

Winnings from today's draw - Nil
    Last win €50 on 7th August, 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭lorenzo87

Right lads that is me done! Have had €3,900 in there for a whole year and not go a thing out of it.. It's one big scam is all this is! Might have been OK before, but I see nobody winning a thing these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭goose06

lorenzo87 wrote: »
    Right lads that is me done! Have had €3,900 in there for a whole year and not go a thing out of it.. It's one big scam is all this is! Might have been OK before, but I see nobody winning a thing these days.

It's just blind luck, I've 1K in and I've won 2*50 over the course of a year and the 2 bonds that won were from the same batch within 10 bonds of each other.

Nothing today :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

goose06 wrote: »
    It's just blind luck, I've 1K in and I've won 2*50 over the course of a year and the 2 bonds that won were from the same batch within 10 bonds of each other.
    LOL

I'm in 18 months now building up from 200 - 3600 and not smelt a sausage.

Your probably in the 0.025% of small winners that exist....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

win a couple of weeks ago
    that is 75 + 50 +50 i've won on 5k over about a year and half

so far ive got 1.75 percent return since december 14..lucky duck from sligo won the million today.. i complained about the prize structure and was told via email that every existing bond has an equal chance of winning ie the more you have the more chance you have of winning but it seems to get a good return you need over a 100k in pbonds and i dont have that kind of money yet

Well eamonn147 I have almost twice that and my return is certainly not in the "good return"
    class...

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Essex Man

eamonn147 wrote: »
    so far ive got 1.75 percent return since december 14..lucky duck from sligo won the million today.. i complained about the prize structure and was told via email that every existing bond has an equal chance of winning ie the more you have the more chance you have of winning but it seems to get a good return you need over a 100k in pbonds and i dont have that kind of money yet

Sligo got the 1million last time as well , wonder if it is the same investor ? !
    nothing for me , 8 months of nothingness on 40k, ie 6400 bonds , languishing in Fexco's musty drawers !

carrickbawn it has to be only a matter of time with 200k in prizebonds although it is depressing to think that over 32000 bonds arent yielding a good return..out of interest how long have you had them and what are your yearly returns???

• Registered Users Posts: 24,385 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

lorenzo87 wrote: »

a scam? hardly... us Irish are an honest lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

pbwinner wrote: »
    Winnings on 28 August 2015: €0
    from my calcs*, thats giving me a CAGR of 1.68%. the best rate I can see for a 5 yr term deposit is 1.3% AER. so you are winning!!

* dont hold me to these calcs!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

lawred2 wrote: »
    a scam? hardly... us Irish are an honest lot.
    ‘Conned’: a German view of Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

Essex Man wrote: »
    nothing for me , 8 months of nothingness on 40k, ie 6400 bonds , languishing in Fexco's musty drawers !
    Keep de faith, what can we do, a totally random draw, it only takes 1 single bond to win a jackpot, this is a fascinating thread http://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/prize-bonds-are-looking-attractive-alternatives-to-deposits.182819/page-20 but there is no system with the total randomness of it all, the more you hold, the more chances you have, then again I remember in the 1980s an old friend winning IR25,000, didn't even buy the bond, but held it for a year Lyons Tea coupon, lucky devil, the stories & tales are never ending, 24 winners in Leitrim, 2,990 winners in Dublin, bigger population holding bonds, and the jackpot goes to Sligo, pot luck, the randomness of it all but great sense of humour of the replies here, long may it last, it's great fun, we have to keep our sense of humour, there's always next Friday.

Advertisement