Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k invested in prize bonds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

Nothing again today,, Sorry no new winners. They are not half as sorry as I am..
    Last win 50 euros on 18th December on 160 k worth of bonds.. Waste of time.

How long have you held that amount in PBs and how is it held ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

pbwinner wrote: »
    I posted a graph a while back - a huge drop in €50 winners when they changed the fund structure.

Yes I saw your graphs thanks, but in relation to the drop since end of december, does it indicate the no. of bonds has decreased or just that they have decreased the no. of prizes?

I was one of the lucky ones today - €50.:)

Yes I saw your graphs thanks, but in relation to the drop since end of december, does it indicate the no. of bonds has decreased or just that they have decreased the no. of prizes?

Both, the number of bonds held seems to have decreased in Dec due to more bonds been cashed in then purchased which was probably due in part because of the Christmas holidays.
    This means there is less money in the fund which effects the number of €50 prizes.
    I would expect Jan to be a better then average month for PB sales which should result in more €50 prizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

Nothing this week, last win Sep 11th 2015 €50 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭carrickbawn

How long have you held that amount in PBs and how is it held ??

About three years, but return was respectable the first year, less attractive second year and at this stage its a joke,,, Its held in one lot,,mostly, a few bits of reinvestment but nothing of significance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

About three years, but return was respectable the first year, less attractive second year and at this stage its a joke,,, Its held in one lot,,mostly, a few bits of reinvestment but nothing of significance.
    At your level you should probably talk to a financial adviser rather than wasting your time in bonds, some people retire early on savings like that! Im only at 50k bonds and 20k cash and I'm very tempted to pack things in and go working/traveling around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

Hi newbe here, registering my numbers box marked group ? what info goes in this box ????? thanks

Any idea of the % return for each of the 3 years.

Thargor wrote: »
    At your level you should probably talk to a financial adviser rather than wasting your time in bonds, some people retire early on savings like that! Im only at 50k bonds and 20k cash and I'm very tempted to pack things in and go working/traveling around the world.

I'd be of the same opinion, life's to short for regrets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Big C wrote: »
    Hi newbe here, registering my numbers box marked group ? what info goes in this box ????? thanks
    Whatever you want or nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭FoolsGold1

Nothing since €50 on 18th December .. which was last year!

Kavrocks wrote: »
    Whatever you want or nothing.

i.e. you can call them 'christmas present from uncle wally' or 'from lotto win' or .. nothing at all

Nothing again today,, I'm all done with it now. Next Friday will be my last. Going to set up a meeting with a financial advisor during the week and make alternative arrangements for my savings...

Nothing today :(

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Winnings on 15 January 2016: €0
    Last win 8 January 2016: €50
    Total winnings since Feb 2011 on €25k: €2100

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

€50 win today .

€50 x 3 since Sept 2015 on €20K .

Nothing again today,, I'm all done with it now. Next Friday will be my last. Going to set up a meeting with a financial advisor during the week and make alternative arrangements for my savings...
    It is very disheartening, you see posters with substantial amount of Prize Bonds and yet ether winning nothing or winning an odd €50 euro every couple of weeks.
    Nothing for me today, last win September 11th 2015 €50 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭FoolsGold1

€50 on 18th December and nothing since.

Well...Nothing again but at least I have given up expecting any good news..
    Will do paperwork at start of week to encash all...
    At least it was a bit of fun while there was a half decent return,but the fun has definately gone out of it for me at this stage..
    Hope the rest of you get better news today...

Nothing for me today either :(. Did you get a chance to talk to a financial adviser carrickbawn? I'd be interested to know his/her general opinion on prize bonds - is there any point whatsoever? I may need access to my money at very short notice and so I feel I can't tie it away longterm.

• Advertisement

The usual sorry message, ''no winners'' last win September 11th 2015 €50 euro.

Nothing for me today either :(. Did you get a chance to talk to a financial adviser carrickbawn? I'd be interested to know his/her general opinion on prize bonds - is there any point whatsoever? I may need access to my money at very short notice and so I feel I can't tie it away longterm.

I would doubt if any financial adviser would have a favourable opinion of the PBs

Winnings on 22 January 2016: €0
    Total winnings since Feb 2011 on €25k: €2100

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Essex Man

I would doubt if any financial adviser would have a favourable opinion of the PBs

I agree , PBs are strictly for birdbrains like us . ps my usual today , ie. nothing ( on 40k )

No did not talk to anyone but myself..
    Have decided to use some money to do work around my house that is long overdue.
    I have also decided to pay off a lump sum off a tracker mortgage on a rip. I always thought that it made sense to let it run its course to avail of tax relief but it means subsidizing it every year which can be stressful...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

I had pretty much given up on this topic, and on checking the Prize Bonds website, it's been so long, then this morning the letter arrives from Killarney, happy days.

€100 win on Friday last, PB bought September 2010, first win since August 2014.
    Next Friday - the big one (optimistic again)!!!

Winnings to date (no winning records kept pre 2005) €1,075 on €8,165 worth of PB's bought monthly over a 17 year period.

Winnings 2011 €75
    Winnings 2012 €150
    Winnings 2013 €200
    Winnings 2014 €100
    Winnings 2015 Zero
    Winnings 2016 €100 (so far)

Your €0 in 2015 reflects the experience of most of us here - a disastrous year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

0 for me Nov 14 to now aswell, what a joke, only good thing I can say about it is it kept me out of the markets where I would have taken a 20% hit most likely. There is literally nowhere to put your money at the minute, once inflation kicks in we are screwed.

€50 today Praise the Lord! :o

• Advertisement

Winnings on 29 January 2016: €50
    Total winnings since Feb 2011 on €25k: €2150

Advertisement