Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k invested in prize bonds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

If my figures are correct it would seem the PB fund is about 2,479,008,000 Euro at the end of Jan 16,
    Which means at the moment there are about 396,641,280 bonds.

During Jan 16 I reckon the PB fund grew by 36,192,000 Euro,
    I would estimate that on average there was a net growth in the PB fund of 1,809,600 Euro each working day during Jan.

The large growth is probably down to the PB office been closed over the Christmas holidays and not having enough time to process the new sales in Dec till Jan. I would expect during Feb sales to return to around the million mark per day.

Double post

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭piston

Since Sept 2015, I have been buying some Prize Bonds every month, now got €4,300 worth and I still haven't won a single cent so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

Keep your head down - lucky you!!!

Edited to say - You're correct ... I am in shock here ... not €50,000 (alas) but ... €50 + .... €50 + .... €50 + .... €50 - 4 wins today!!!!

:):):):)
    That has to be a record, btw what size of holding do you have, if you don't mind me asking.
    Nothing for me again today, last win 11th September 2015 €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Nothing today. Last win18th Dec 2015-€50.

Today's draw marked exactly 12 months since I bought €50,000 worth of bonds.

In that 12 months, I've won €400. Of those winnings, all have been €50 wins. On only one occasion I won 2 x €50, which ironically was my first one.

Frequency of wins was generally eveey 4-6 weeks although I had quite a barren spell of no wins for July, August and September.

All in all a return of 0.8% on my bonds. Not great but still slightly better than the prevailing interest rates for 12 month fixed accounts 12 months ago, after DIRT was factored in.

Im currently examining other options which hopefully will offer better returns over the medium term with low risk.

I was happy to let them sit for the year but I can't help but feeling there has to be better ways to get it working for me.

I will continue to update the thread until I cash them in.

• Advertisement

Negative_G wrote: »
    Nothing today. Last win18th Dec 2015-€50.

Today's draw marked exactly 12 months since I bought €50,000 worth of bonds.

In that 12 months, I've won €400. Of those winnings, all have been €50 wins. On only one occasion I won 2 x €50, which ironically was my first one.

Frequency of wins was generally eveey 4-6 weeks although I had quite a barren spell of no wins for July, August and September.

All in all a return of 0.8% on my bonds. Not great but still slightly better than the prevailing interest rates for 12 month fixed accounts 12 months ago, after DIRT was factored in.

Im currently examining other options which hopefully will offer better returns over the medium term with low risk.

I was happy to let them sit for the year but I can't help but feeling there has to be better ways to get it working for me.

I will continue to update the thread until I cash them in.

I would reckon your odds of winning in 2016 are once every 9 weeks, taking that your most likely going to win €50 each time that should net you €450 which is only 1 win more then you got last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Winnings on 5 February 2016: €0
    Last win 29 January 2016: €50
    Total winnings since Feb 2011 on €25k: €2150

Winnings on 5 February 2016: €0

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭carrickbawn

Well done on a few nice wins last week... Maybe,the more of us that encash before they recalculate the better..
    Anyway.. My annual return for the year was 0.51% ,,,Was on track to do slightly better but 5 draws with zero dashed my hopes..Still have a few reinvestment ones but won't be holding out any hope for them..
    Crazy or not,,, was happy to have funds to throw into Bank of Ireland shares at 25.5 yesterday and 24.5 today,,, Might be a bigger gamble than prize bonds but am in no hurry and still have the buzz of the chance...
    Good luck to you all,,Hopefully some Friday soon one of you will hit it big..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Well done on a few nice wins last week... Maybe,the more of us that encash before they recalculate the better..
    Anyway.. My annual return for the year was 0.51% ,,,Was on track to do slightly better but 5 draws with zero dashed my hopes..Still have a few reinvestment ones but won't be holding out any hope for them..
    Crazy or not,,, was happy to have funds to throw into Bank of Ireland shares at 25.5 yesterday and 24.5 today,,, Might be a bigger gamble than prize bonds but am in no hurry and still have the buzz of the chance...
    Good luck to you all,,Hopefully some Friday soon one of you will hit it big..

What medium did you use to purchase the shares? I wouldn't mind picking up some myself.

I think they are a solid medium to long term investment despite the markets being uncertain at the moment. Can see them returning to and remaining at 0.40c before the end of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭carrickbawn

Negative_G wrote: »
    What medium did you use to purchase the shares? I wouldn't mind picking up some myself.

I think they are a solid medium to long term investment despite the markets being uncertain at the moment. Can see them returning to and remaining at 0.40c before the end of the year.

Had an existing Goodbody online account and I know I could get cheaper but was convenient when market took such a hit this week. I also know its possible to take a hit for a while but was getting so deflated by returns on prize bonds and no incentive on any deposit accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭honey12345

I am putting 40k into a ten year national solidarity bond!! I make 10k on that!! :D
    I have won nothing on the 10k prize bond I am going to leave the 30k prize bond there.. And continue to buy prize bonds every month just as a form of saving then I will withdraw the small prize bonds an go on a safari woohoo you dont notice a 100 euro a month but it all adds up! :)
    That's my plan anyway :)
    Wishing everyone luck tomorrow :)

I am putting 40k into a ten year national solidarity bond!! I make 10k on that!! :D
    I have won nothing on the 10k prize bond I am going to leave the 30k prize bond there.. And continue to buy prize bonds every month just as a form of saving then I will withdraw the small prize bonds an go on a safari woohoo you dont notice a 100 euro a month but it all adds up! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

honey12345 wrote: »

With inflation, what will your capital 40 K and 10 be worth in 10 years?

Why not but a house in the sticks and rent it out?

The house will likely gain with capital appreciation and you get yearly income if rented.

That's what I would do.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

worded wrote: »

The house will likely gain with capital appreciation and you get yearly income if rented.

That's what I would do.

Yeah thats a banker

Also consider UK prizebonds and split out your investment

http://www.nsandi.com/

As an Irish citizen its possible to buy them, I have some. 1 million sterling is a better win than 1 Mill Euros.

I don't know if the UK odds are better than the Irish ones.

godtabh wrote: »
    Yeah thats a banker

Well if you buy in a popular enough place and do some research it will rent well and it will appreciate in price.

It may also go pear shaped

That's what I would do.

I cant afford a house right now. I dont want to commit to a mortgage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

That's what I would do.

Could be good but..........

Mid May 2014 to mid May 2015 97 buy to let properties were reposessed by the banks (this doesn't take into account people voluntarily handing over the keys), you can rest easy in your bed knowing that the Prize Bonds office won't be sending the sheriff around.

And then, come 12 o'clock today......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

eamonn147 wrote: »
    i already have prizebonds thinking of throwing 5 or 6 k into them ..can i just go to the post office with the form with my account number on it and get them instead of brining this bill and that bill with me

This is surprisingly simple, done online in less than 5 minutes, no documentation or anything else required

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭paddyjoe183

I have prizebonds from 2008, never heard a thing ever since buying them. Do they contact you or what if you win anything? Or do I have to check the webpage all the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭paddyjoe183

I have prizebonds from 2008, never heard a thing ever since buying them. Do they contact you or what if you win anything? Or do I have to check the webpage all the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

They'll contact you.

Nothing today for me.

Winnings on 12 February 2016: €0

Winnings on 12 February 2016: €0

They'll contact you at the contact details you gave them when you registered. If you've moved house then you need to let them know.

If you register on their site, you can enter the bond numbers you own, then just click the "Check winnings" button every Friday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭piston

Nothing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

I've just started back into the prize bonds and bought some a few weeks ago and got the cert during the week. But when does the draw actually take place each week and when are the results up online ?

Great thread btw I've been following it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Essex Man

Premium Bonds ( UK ) odds are 26,000 to 1 , max holding , £50,000 sterling .

• Advertisement

Essex Man wrote: »
    Premium Bonds ( UK ) odds are 26,000 to 1 , max holding , £50,000 sterling .

Are the winnings (if any) tax free for the Irish ??

Advertisement