Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k invested in prize bonds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Winnings on 3 June 2016: 0
    Last win 26 February 2016: 50
    Total winnings since Feb 2011 on 25k: 2200

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭FoolsGold1

Struck oil in three little drops...but so much better than the usual thirsty fare!
    Winnings from today, €150 - 3 x €50
    Last win €50 last Friday! (That is €300 since 1/1/2016 on €60K++ .. nearer to €70K; full year of 2015 netted €600 on that amount).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Must check me €25 later, its been two weeks.

If theirs not something there I may write a strongly worded letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Nothing for me again. €100,000 invested since 12th May. Zero winnings to date. It will come 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

FoolsGold1 wrote: »
    Struck oil in three little drops...but so much better than the usual thirsty fare!
    Winnings from today, €150 - 3 x €50
    Last win €50 last Friday! (That is €300 since 1/1/2016 on €60K++ .. nearer to €70K; full year of 2015 netted €600 on that amount).
    Nice to see a bit of luck in the thread, my €30,000 3 year saving bond has just matured, interest over the 3 year is €1,200, if I reinvest for another 3 year it will only earn €750, so I've decided to put it into prize bonds, increasing my holding to €50,000.
    Anyway nothing today on my €20,000, last win in March with 2 €50euro, nothing since, I live in hope, I dream big, there's always next Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 allyhari

F gra tubaisteach inniu maidir leis na duaiseanna! And cleverly enough, they delivered the bad news on a bank holiday Sunday. Poor prize bonds are now even less appealing (but I'm hoping lots of people will withdraw money so then I'll have more of a chance *evil laugh*)

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭topper_harley2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Negative_G

From 1.25% to .85% is a significant drop in prize pond returns.

I'm approaching 4 months now with my last win in February.

Fair to say this is the final nail in the coffin. It can be put to better use elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Except they slashed all the other State Savings rates today aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭topper_harley2

Thargor wrote: »
    Except they slashed all the other State Savings rates today aswell.

Yep serious cuts all round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Chiarrai92

Well i was 60/40 about withdrawing my money i guess this is the push iv been waiting for! Think all of my 6k is avalible to withdraw this month too which is handy, degiro / mintos here i come!

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭WhiteMan32

Negative_G wrote: »
    From 1.25% to .85% is a significant drop

In response to the latest changes to State Savings, I have researched the recent rate cuts to PBs: -
    • Sep 2007 - 3.00%
    • Jan 2013 - 2.25%
    • Jun 2013 - 1.75%
    • Jan 2014 - 1.60%
    • Oct 2014 - 1.25%
    • Jun 2016 - 0.85%

Will it be down to 0.50% the 'next' time they adjust the PB rate???

• Registered Users Posts: 20,057 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I happened upon this thread and was quite dismayed to see people actually putting money into these. :(

The word 'investment' is completely inappropriate.

I came across some Prize Bonds (raffle tickets) purchased by my grandmother between the early 1960's and 70's. I was delighted to find you could search online for unclaimed prizes. I thought there must be some result after 55 years.

Not one cent. You might as well just gift the money to the government or volunteer for a higher tax rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

cnocbui wrote:
    I came across some Prize Bonds (raffle tickets) purchased by my grandmother between the early 1960's and 70's. I was delighted to find you could search online for unclaimed prizes. I thought there must be some result after 55 years.

How many did she have?

I think there are about 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

I have one which only has one letter D think its from 1957 and you guessed it, it still hasn't won anything

Some of mine start with a single A, B and D. Perhaps some of those are older than I thought and mis-remembered their age.

Ha, well there's your problem right there. It's a lottery, literally that. People have thousands upon thousands of Euro invested. Just because your granny didn't win doesn't been it's a scam, just like the lottery isn't a scam if you don't win.

Disclaimer: I've got 5k in and got 250 over the last year. 5 x €50 wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

WhiteMan32 wrote: »
    In response to the latest changes to State Savings, I have researched the recent rate cuts to PBs: -
    • Sep 2007 - 3.00%
    • Jan 2013 - 2.25%
    • Jun 2013 - 1.75%
    • Jan 2014 - 1.60%
    • Oct 2014 - 1.25%
    • Jun 2016 - 0.85%

Will it be down to 0.50% the 'next' time they adjust the PB rate???
    Weren't regular savers 7.00% back in 2007? Puts pbs into perspective..
    Which in itself sounds scam-tastic. I have 3 times your input and only 50 won since November (and 5k going back to 2014 that won nothing).

Ha, well there's your problem right there. It's a lottery, literally that. People have thousands upon thousands of Euro invested. Just because your granny didn't win doesn't been it's a scam, just like the lottery isn't a scam if you don't win.

I know it's a lottery, that is why I said I was horrified to see people putting money into this while using the word 'investment'.

I haven't wasted a cent of my own money on this, not will I ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

cnocbui wrote: »
    I know it's a lottery, that is why I said I was horrified to see people putting money into this while using the word 'investment'.

I haven't wasted a cent of my own money on this, not will I ever.

It's a lottery in the sense that you are hoping for a win, it's not a lottery like the Lotto in the sense that you do not lose your money if your number doesn't come up.

The money being 'invested' in PB's has increased dramatically because people who do not wish to risk their capital see it as a reasonable alternative to the almost 0% interest rates now available on their savings, I wouldn't decry their decision as their money is safe today, and will be tomorrow.

I have a modest investment in PB's, mainly as a gamble, some day that letter from Killarney will have really good news!

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    It's a lottery in the sense that you are hoping for a win, it's not a lottery like the Lotto in the sense that you do not lose your money if your number doesn't come up.

The money being 'invested' in PB's has increased dramatically because people who do not wish to risk their capital see it as a reasonable alternative to the almost 0% interest rates now available on their savings, I wouldn't decry their decision as their money is safe today, and will be tomorrow.

I have a modest investment in PB's, mainly as a gamble, some day that letter from Killarney will have really good news!

I must have misunderstood how this works. So how do you get your capital back out so that it isn't a case of flushing it down the toilet as I had erroneously assumed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

cnocbui wrote: »
    I must have misunderstood how this works. So how do you get your capital back out so that it isn't a case of flushing it down the toilet as I had erroneously assumed?

You can ask for your money back at any stage, I think you have to leave it in for 3 months initially. You get the capital back, no interest (except what you've won in the meantime).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    You can ask for your money back at any stage, I think you have to leave it in for 3 months initially. You get the capital back, no interest (except what you've won in the meantime).

??

You thought you paid for a few numbers that would be forever entered into a draw and that was it??

Just for the record, here's the updated new notice http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Personal+Customers/Money+Matters/Prizebonds/ the weekly €50,000 is still there, with 10 €1,000 and 10 €500, the rest in €50, the million is now 4 times yearly instead of every 2 months, there will probably be a greatly reduced €50s as there will now be 10 €500s.
    I live in hope, I dream big, there is always next Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

So the €100s are gone?

So the €100s are gone?
    Yes the €100s are gone, doesn't matter to me, I only ever won the €50s, only ever won the smallest prize, the biggest winners in this whole emterprise is Fexco and An Post, well paid for running the draw, still I live in hope, I dream big, there's always next Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭carrickbawn

Is this effective from this week,or did I read somewhere that the changes don't apply until July 1st?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

What do yee do with the winning? Get it reinvested or transferred out to an account?

• Advertisement

I get a cheque. Cash it, spend it ☺

Advertisement