Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k invested in prize bonds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Negative_G

What's the most you can buy online by debit card again?

From the website:

Is there a limit on the value of Prize Bonds that I can buy in a single transaction?

Prize Bonds are sold in units of €6.25 each. The minimum purchase in any single transaction is €25 (i.e. 4 Prize Bonds) and the
    maximum purchase in any single transaction is €250,000 (i.e. 40,000 Prize Bonds) per individual/applicant or €500,000 (i.e.
    80,000 Prize Bonds) in a joint purchase by two individuals.

I believe you are only limited by the max daily allowance spend on a debit card which seems to be €1,500 for most banks. If you want a larger batch just get a bank draft and post it off. It only costs a few euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

Thargor wrote: »
    €100 win today, didn't know they still had €100 winners..
    I think this is the last week of €100 winners, next Friday 1st July the 250 €100 winners is being replaced by 10 €500, but the odds of winning will be slimmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

10 prizes is a joke.

Must say though, Ive made a lot of threads over the past year asking about what to do with my savings instead of having them sitting in Prize Bonds and if Id taken any of the advice Id gotten Id be hurting now, looks like another recession is on the cards...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

scotchy wrote: »
    €50 winnings arrived in post this morning from last Fridays draw.

The thing is, I checked on the prize Bond site last Friday afternoon and it said I had no new winners.

So when does their site update on Friday?

It was a nice surprise though:)

This is exactly what happened to us this week. Logged on at lunchtime on Friday and it said no new winners. Cheque for €50 arrived this morning. Checked the site again and it was listed. Maybe it's better to check numbers a little later on Fridays. Happy with the win though 😎😎

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭chipfox

Got 2 of these as a present 20 years ago, still waiting for a win!

Has anybody calculated % returns? I've cashed getting eroded away in a bank and wondering if this could be worth while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭FoolsGold1

Happy for you Cork Lass; glad you didn't shoot the Messenger...so he's alive and well to call on you again soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

FoolsGold1 wrote: »
    Happy for you Cork Lass; glad you didn't shoot the Messenger...so he's alive and well to call on you again soon!

Yep, hopefully the first of many to come😀

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

chipfox wrote: »

Has anybody calculated % returns? I've cashed getting eroded away in a bank and wondering if this could be worth while.

The % return is based on a figure determined by the NTMA aka the government body whose role it is to decide the interest rates on state borrowings. The prizes are determined by looking at how much they want the cost of the state borrowing the money to be

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

chipfox wrote: »

.74% for me last year

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pbwinner

scotchy wrote: »
    It says 'No new winners' today because you haven't won since you logged on last friday.

It said no new winners when I logged on late late Friday afternoon as well.

It has the date on the bond tracker webpage (just above the three boxes): "Use the Check Winning Numbers service as often as you like to check for winners. This includes prizes awarded up to and including the draw of 24th June 2016. "

So keep an eye on that date to check when the results are updated. Personally, I check it around 1300 (30 mins after the draw has run).

• Advertisement

:):):)Surprisingly ... €50 today

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Winnings on 01 July 2016: 0
    Last win 24 June 2016: 50
    Total winnings since Feb 2011 on 25k: 2250

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭piston

Zilch again.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Nada

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

If my figures are correct it would seem the PB fund is now about 2,684,588,235 Euro as of the end of June 16,
    Which means at the moment there are about 429,534,117 bonds.

During June I reckon the PB fund grew by 37,516,235 Euro,
    Which means there will be an extra 6,002,597 bonds in each draw during July compared to June.

I would estimate that on average there was a net growth in the PB fund of 1,786,487 Euro for each working day during June.
    The fund has grown by 241,772,235 Euro since 1st Jan giving an average working daily net growth of 1,949,776 Euro

That's the good news !!

The bad news is since the prize structure has changed the odds of winning have changed as well
    On the old structure with 100K you had odds of winning 17 times in a year this will fall to about 11
    As for the OP 25K should have provided 4 to 5 wins per year now you will be lucky to get 3
    A person with 10K can now expect to win once maybe twice a year if your lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

€50 euro today on my 20k batch, my 30k batch arrived during the week, since August 2015 5 wins €50 total €250 euro.
    Feeling lucky, won €10euro on National Lottery ''Daily Million''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Any one wondering how much you can pay by card online I heard it was 1500euro but I ordered 4000euro by Boi debit card last week and payment has gone through

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    Obviously easy enough to pick 30% hindsight winners 2013-now, although you wouldn't have known back then that you were sitting on a surefire 30% winner over a couple of years. Of course you could also have invested in a FTSE bluechip like Tesco and now be sitting on a 60% loss, again of course you wouldn't have known back then that you were investing in a dead cert loser. The investor who had invested €10k in both (Tesco & the 30%er) would probably be down around €3k at this stage. The PB holder would still have his/her €20k, maybe a few bob in winnings, the hope of another few bob coming in every Friday, maybe the big Friday, the certainty that the €20k will be there in 6 months, 1 year, 5 years etc, and no sleepless nights. I wouldn't be encouraging anybody to invest in PB's but I certainly wouldn't be decrying their decision either. I'm with Thargor on this, a handy place to leave your money in these hiding behind the couch financial times.

Have you seen National Grid (NG) and all the leading FTSE chasers this week , averaging + 10% . NG SP hits all time high this week, YTD 30%+. Now where did we hear that before? ;)

GLA with PB's

Have you seen National Grid (NG) and all the leading FTSE chasers this week , averaging + 10% . NG SP hits all time high this week, YTD 30%+. Now where did we hear that before? ;)

GLA with PB's

I think you missed the point of what Cute Hoor and other posters were saying and what this thread is about :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

I think you missed the point of what Cute Hoor and other posters were saying and what this thread is about :rolleyes:

I think I am talking about investing wisely and 'safe havens' within the risk world of investing in shares where one can enjoy as close to certainty as one could expect. NG is a very good example. A major utility, paying handsome dividends and yet still manages to generate attractive capital appreciation.

The point I'd make is not all shares will cause investor 'sleepless nights' and in stark contrast most PB's will win nothing of any financial consequence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Where do you check your winners? I don't see a banner saying such...maybe Im just being ditzy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

dearg lady wrote: »
    Where do you check your winners? I don't see a banner saying such...maybe Im just being ditzy!

Look at pbwinners post from yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Look at pbwinners post from yesterday

Yeah, I've used the 'Check winning numbers' function, just not seeing the 'banner' people are referring to...hence my question! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭honey12345

If my figures are correct it would seem the PB fund is now about 2,684,588,235 Euro as of the end of June 16,
    Which means at the moment there are about 429,534,117 bonds.

During June I reckon the PB fund grew by 37,516,235 Euro,
    Which means there will be an extra 6,002,597 bonds in each draw during July compared to June.

I would estimate that on average there was a net growth in the PB fund of 1,786,487 Euro for each working day during June.
    The fund has grown by 241,772,235 Euro since 1st Jan giving an average working daily net growth of 1,949,776 Euro

That's the good news !!

The bad news is since the prize structure has changed the odds of winning have changed as well
    On the old structure with 100K you had odds of winning 17 times in a year this will fall to about 11
    As for the OP 25K should have provided 4 to 5 wins per year now you will be lucky to get 3
    A person with 10K can now expect to win once maybe twice a year if your lucky

Not good

I think I am talking about investing wisely and 'safe havens' within the risk world of investing in shares where one can enjoy as close to certainty as one could expect. NG is a very good example. A major utility, paying handsome dividends and yet still manages to generate attractive capital appreciation.

The point I'd make is not all shares will cause investor 'sleepless nights' and in stark contrast most PB's will win nothing of any financial consequence.

Your still missing the point, Prize Bonds are not an investment.
    For myself and I presume others here, PBs are just an alternative place to deposit money and have a bit of fun(or not) on Friday rather then giving it to one of our banks. The winnings I get so far are better then any bank would offer me.

I cant argue with your last point about safe shares vs Prize bonds and how good a stock NG would be but I cant help but wonder if we went back in time to the early 90s, would you be telling us about Enron and what a great little buy they would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

When prize bonds are "cashed in" are they reissued with the same numbers to new customers.

I only bought the prize bonds last week, but when I enter my range of numbers it says I have two unclaimed prizes of €50 each from 2014 and 2015 :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 219 ✭✭JinkyJackson

I can't believe how consistent you are in updating this thread for a half a decade now

When prize bonds are "cashed in" are they reissued with the same numbers to new customers.

I only bought the prize bonds last week, but when I enter my range of numbers it says I have two unclaimed prizes of €50 each from 2014 and 2015 :confused:

I was always under the impression that when you cashed in Prize bonds that the bonds were never used again, any of the bonds I have bought over the last 5 years are always new numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

I got PBs as a present about 20 years ago. No idea where the actual documents are now after a few house moves.
    How would I go about finding out what my bonds are?
    Thanks

• Advertisement

Do your prize bond numbers not start with three letters such as ADZ or, by this week, maybe AEB or the like? T

Advertisement