Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k invested in prize bonds

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

nada, I'm losing hope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

Does anyone know anyone who got 1 million?

And is there a very real chance that beneficiaries are not located?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

Not me anyway! :)

There was no €1M prize today anyway, the next one will be September. Although I don't think they publish names of winners, or have photo shoots with big cheques, it's usually just the county of the winning prize bond that is on their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

Okon wrote: »
    Not me anyway! :)

There was no €1M prize today anyway, the next one will be September. Although I don't think they publish names of winners, or have photo shoots with big cheques, it's usually just the county of the winning prize bond that is on their website.

The €1M probably goes to one of the institutions who have huge blocks of sequential numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

And is there a very real chance that beneficiaries are not located?

I don't think think anyway knows anyone that won more than a hundred!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Gent on askaboutmoney won €1000 prize.

Haven't seen any over that.

Working late all week, about time i had some luck:

29 July 2016 €50

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

GreyEagle wrote: »
    The €1M probably goes to one of the institutions who have huge blocks of sequential numbers.
    The €1million goes to an individual prize bond, it only takes 1 bond to win any prize, each and every bond has an equal chance of winning, the more you hold the more chances and odds you have, but that's about it, if any so called institution has a huge block and never win a million then it's a bad investment, there are so many stories about prize bonds like my friend who won IR25,000 in the 1970s on a Lyon's Tea coupon that he held for a year, at the end of the day it's down to pure random luck.

Back to today, nothing for me on my 20k, my 30k hasn't won anything YET! Live in hope, I dream big, there's always next Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

€ 10K since start of the year and not a cent yet! Because of the limit on payment via Debit Card I bought 4 batches of 2.5K. I know one batch shouldn't in theory be any more likely, but it seems like people with single larger batches are doing better based on ad hoc following this thread. I wonder would I be better re-buying?

g0g wrote: »
    I wonder would I be better re-buying?
    You could give that a go, buy a single batch with the 10k, when I get my letter asking me to reinvest my €50 for more PBs I don't bother, they probably get lost in the pile, I purchased 100 prize bonds from 1985 to 1990, won €75 in 2012 another €75 in 2013, 2 wins after 23 years, the big batches is the way to go, I purchased a 20k batch in August 2015 and a 30k batch in June 2016, prize bonds will break you heart, they have broken mine with crushing disappointment, but I live in hope, I dream big, there is always next Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

I do (wasn't me unfortunately)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

€50 win today, PB bought February 2009, first win since 11/3/2016.
    Next Friday - the big one!!!

Winnings to date (no winning records kept pre 2005) €1,175 on €8,400 worth of PB's bought monthly over an 18 year period plus €20,000 bought in Feb 2016.

Winnings 2011 €75
    Winnings 2012 €150
    Winnings 2013 €200
    Winnings 2014 €100
    Winnings 2015 Zero
    Winnings 2016 €200 (so far)

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

g0g wrote: »
    € 10K since start of the year and not a cent yet! Because of the limit on payment via Debit Card I bought 4 batches of 2.5K. I know one batch shouldn't in theory be any more likely, but it seems like people with single larger batches are doing better based on ad hoc following this thread. I wonder would I be better re-buying?

Personally I feel larger batches give you a better chance of winning but the reality is it doesn't really matter how you hold your bonds because its pure luck whether you win or don't.
    Unfortunately today the odds of winning with 10K is about once a year and with your 2.5K batches its once every 4 years for each batch, technically the odds are the same it just depends on how you look at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭FoolsGold1

Winnings on 29th July - €50
    Last win 10th June, €50

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Nothing for me this week..

And nothing again today ....

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

And nothing again today ....

I'd check that again, the draw results aren't posted till 12:30 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Winnings on 05 August 2016: 0
    Last win 24 June 2016: 50
    Total winnings since Feb 2011 on 25k: 2250

Often posted earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭omerin

With the cut in the rate and the subsequent drop in the prize fund, anyone who has money in prizebonds is extremely foolish, unfortunately I am one of those. Why can't they scrap the 1m prize and instead spread those funds over more 50 and 100 prizes? I am quickly losing patience with them and will shortly be withdrawing unless they get their act together

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Negative_G

omerin wrote: »
    With the cut in the rate and the subsequent drop in the prize fund, anyone who has money in prizebonds is extremely foolish, unfortunately I am one of those. Why can't they scrap the 1m prize and instead spread those funds over more 50 and 100 prizes? I am quickly losing patience with them and will shortly be withdrawing unless they get their act together

What do you think is a better alternative?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Nothing for us today. Purchased another batch today (€20,000) so odds should increase. €200 winnings on €100,000 since mid May

Nothing for me today, and the strange thing, I won €50 on 1st July, the first day the prize fund was reduced, which means the odds should have reduced, but there ya go, it's all down to random luck.
    I live in hope, I dream big, there is always next Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭omerin

Negative_G wrote: »
    What do you think is a better alternative?

Unfortunately I don't have one to recommend purely because of my lack of research. Prize bonds were the easy and lazy option when I bought them just over a year ago, now though I need to be a bit smarter

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

Sligo Quay wrote: »
    but there ya go, it's all down to random luck.

It sure is.

Interestingly enough... My last batch of prize bonds, certificate dated 20th July 2016, had the AEF prefix. In yesterday's draw there was sixty prizes with bond prefixes sequentially after that; AEG, AEH, AEI and AEJ, so some people have had very quick wins after buying their prize bonds. (Or interest payments, dependng on your outlook!) As those bonds had to be purchased between July 20th and early August.. So that is lucky.

It also shows that the people of Ireland are still putting their money in to prize bonds despite the recent reduction in the prize fund. Safety first and hope for a bit of luck... it sounds good to me too! :)

Omerin ....no point in saying they have to 'get their act together' .... they have their act perfectly together as long as the likes of you and me keep our money there .... thats exactly their plan.

Winnings on 5th August - €50
    Last win, €50, on 29th July.

50 today!

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Winnings on 12 August 2016: 0

€50 today, 12th August.
    Last win - €50 - 5th August.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

pbwinner wrote: »
    Winnings on 12 August 2016: 0

Have you kept a record of your % per year. Just wondering if your return rates are consistent per year or have changed since the rule change.

Advertisement