Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adobe Photoshop

Options
  • 08-06-2011 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

I want to download a trial version of photoshop in order to design a sample logo. I need to add text, manipulate shape of text, change colours and effects, etc.

Is there a particular version I should download for this?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

The master collection ;)

No but seriously, any decent software will be able to do this. I think Microsoft have an online free version that you can play about with.

The term 'Photoshop' is almost like hoover when its really only one type of vacuum cleaner brand. But because its the industry standard it get overused!

If you really want to the try a trial version - i think its version CS5.5 thats on the adobe site at the minute ......but it could take you the months trial just to try and figure out how to use it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

MCMLXXV, you mention creating a logo, rather than specific photo use.. if so, try Inkscape. Free.

http://inkscape.org/

From their site:

About Inkscape

An Open Source vector graphics editor, with capabilities similar to Illustrator, CorelDraw, or Xara X, using the W3C standard Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) file format.

Screenshots of the product in use.

http://inkscape.org/screenshots/index.php?lang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Ok, to be a little more clear here's what I want to do:

Upload an image and input text above and below said image.

However I need a specific font 'Serpentine Bold' and a specific colour: chrome or at least silver.

Also I need to be able to 'curve' the text above and below the image, change the back ground colour and possibly resize the image if necessary.

I've found sites that allow you to upload an image and change text but they're far to basic for what I have in mind.

Again, any help much appreciated! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Photoshop can do all that and is the proper tool. The problem being that you probably have about a six month or more learning curve to get you anywhere near the compentency required for a job like that.

Why not pay a Graphic Artist to do it for you. As well as the single layer image get them to give you a copy of the image with all the layers in PSD format so it can easily be modified later.

If you need pipes fixed you get a Plumber. If it's rewiring you get an Electrician. This is also a skilled job that not only needs the correct tools but also experience.

I would actually like to do it myself, it doesn't have to be 100% perfect.

It's for an association and a few of us are submitting ideas and then whatever is the most favoured design we'll get it done professionally by a graphic designer.

Preferably I would like an online tool that I can upload the image to and play around with but none of them I have found to date are up to the job!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Maybe you would have more success posting in the Digital Art/Design forum as we mainly use the tools here for image editing.

CabanSail wrote: »
    Maybe you would have more success posting in the Digital Art/Design forum as we mainly use the tools here for image editing.

Thanks, could a Mod move?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Graemzy

depending on what pic ya are goin to use that should not be that much of a learning curve. changing the bg might be an issue but simply puttin text over and under is not to hard. there is a tool to easily do it.

google and ya will find tutorials on how to do simple stuff like that! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Graemzy

here is a tut for makin the text curved.

http://www.ofzenandcomputing.com/zanswers/1114/

and if ya want to resize an image i would do it like this. it simple enough for a first time user.

open a new doc and enter the sizes ya want it to be either in px or cm whatever suite you,

then go to file > open and choose your pic. it will open next to your blank doc, double click on the lil lock icon on the background layer on the right to unlock the image. then just drag and drop it on to the blank doc window.

now press ctrl+t, it will bring up a box around the image. now while holding down shift drag the box from the corner to the size ya want, holding down shift will keep the pic in proportion.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,572 ✭✭✭✭looksee

As Amalgum hinted - Photoshop, or any raster program, is not the best for creating logos. For your purpose of just making a mock-up its ok, but logos should be made in a vector program like Illustrator or Inkscape.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the help lads! :)

Advertisement