Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D-Day 2011 Photos

Options
  • 08-06-2011 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

Now I'm not the greatest photographer but I'll post some photographs from the last few days. I'll start with the newly found Maisy battery. Its still pretty much overgrown in parts and parts of it will be left like that as on D-Day a lot of it was purposefully overgrown. I've walked through Maisy on many occassions with my Father and family and never for a second knew it existed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

More from Maisy. Seemingly the bunkers were covered by a couple of meters of topsoil. No one seems quite sure how this happened as there are no major bomb craters nearby. All the guns shown are from the site except the 155mm in pictures 9 and 10 which came from the Portuguese army who had bought some from the Germans during the war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

Items for sale. We came across these at a vehicle sale in St Mere Eglise. Some of the vehicles were priced in euro, but the majority in dollars.

I'd love the Kettenkrad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

It's a shame the kettenrad is so heavily restored. There was one found in Italy a couple of years ago in a farmers shed, the new owner got it running and used it for nips into town. From what I recall he left it in it's original paint.

Where was the very used car market btw ?

If those jeeps were 10k $ each, that seems pretty reasonable to me !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Morlar wrote: »
    Where was the very used car market btw ?

If those jeeps were 10k $ each, that seems pretty reasonable to me !

It was in the field beside the D-Day museum in Vierville sur Mer. Passed it myself the other day but the gate was shut and there was no-one around. Lunchtime!

Advertisement