Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UCD PGDE 2011/2012

• 08-06-2011 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

A bit late but similar to last year, I've decided to set up a thread for the 2011-2012 PGDE. Congratulations to you all and I hope enjoy the year. It is not as bad as the worst horror stories, but not a walk in the park either. I am sure some the recent graduates including myself will be more that happy to share their experiences with you and answer any questions.

Good Luck all and enjoy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

Good idea setting up a specific thread for UCD 2011/12.

I'm going to be doing the PGDE in UCD, English and Economics are my subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Celephais

I'm in UCD myself, English and RE is what I'll be doing, so I'm already worried about job prospects!

Does the timetable tend to change much from year to year? Going on this year, I'd have both my workshops on Thursdays, which would be nice for keeping another day in the week relatively free, but bad in that I work Thursday evenings. Though I'm guessing at this stage we could only wildly speculate; I really wish UCD would get their timetables in order a bit earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭getting worse

Good luck "Unlucky" lol

Economics is done as Business methodology, basically you cover the junior cert course, and a short lecture on Economics course. The Business Studies course is quite long and will cover areas which you haven't necessarily studied before, but not in any great depth.

Good luck "Unlucky" lol

Economics is done as Business methodology, basically you cover the junior cert course, and a short lecture on Economics course. The Business Studies course is quite long and will cover areas which you haven't necessarily studied before, but not in any great depth.

Thanks for the info - business methodology suits perfect as my teaching practice will be in junior cert business studies anyway. Do you remember what day the business methodology was on last year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 goodmanboys

Having a bit of a nightmare here, folks. I've applied to countless schools around Dublin and got absolutely nowhere. I've even asked UCD, everyone I know from Dublin and even the Minister for Education looking for suggestions. No joy yet...

I had no idea it was so competitive and that everything is pretty much gone in the first week. I had thought about waiting til the second round came out to see if I got Maynooth, but started applying in the second week instead after a friend told me I could be in a bit of bother if I didn't get at it right away. You snooze, you lose I suppose.

Really do not want to lose this course. I've done a fair bit of teaching ths year and loved every minute of it so far.

It's a long shot, but... anyone here know of a school looking for someone with English and Geography?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Have you tried st pauls greenhills? They take in a lot each year. St Louis rathmines also take a good few. There are approximately 100 schools in Dublin. Contact every single one. Try ones on the edges of the county in places like tallaght.

Having a bit of a nightmare here, folks. I've applied to countless schools around Dublin and got absolutely nowhere. I've even asked UCD, everyone I know from Dublin and even the Minister for Education looking for suggestions. No joy yet...

I had no idea it was so competitive and that everything is pretty much gone in the first week. I had thought about waiting til the second round came out to see if I got Maynooth, but started applying in the second week instead after a friend told me I could be in a bit of bother if I didn't get at it right away. You snooze, you lose I suppose.

Really do not want to lose this course. I've done a fair bit of teaching ths year and loved every minute of it so far.

It's a long shot, but... anyone here know of a school looking for someone with English and Geography?

Maybe try somewhere a bit further out like Lucan, I know there's a few schools there that are listed on UCD recommended list. Might be worth a shot if you're able to get out that far.

Unlucky/ Celephais - Business was on Wednesday 4PM to 6PM. It was the same the year before and timetable does not seem to change normally but you never know.

Goodmanboys - there were people last here who did not get sorted until August, don't worry. Just send out CV's and make phone calls and drop into schools. Now is actually a good time causes principals are still in schools for the exams. Also put pressure on your own school if you are from Dublin. UCD will get you sorted if all else fails. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭petejmk

Like Unlucky said, try out Lucan way or Blanch/Clondalkin/Ballyfermot or even Leixlip. It's no problem getting over to UCD with the M50, takes 30-odd minutes max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Does anyone else think that the format of the UCD course is a tad ridiculous? TCD and, AFAIK, UCC, split the days between college and school, ie Monday-Wednesday doing course work, Wednesday-Friday doing practical work. Seems a far better arrangement than that in UCD, where one might have to travel from the far Northside to UCD in the hour one has available for lunch.

• Advertisement

Einhard wrote: »
    Does anyone else think that the format of the UCD course is a tad ridiculous? TCD and, AFAIK, UCC, split the days between college and school, ie Monday-Wednesday doing course work, Wednesday-Friday doing practical work. Seems a far better arrangement than that in UCD, where one might have to travel from the far Northside to UCD in the hour one has available for lunch.

Much easier to fit you into a school timetable though when you are there every morning. Also, since you are there every day the kids see you more around the place and this can help you set a presence in the school. You can get from the northside to UCD quickly enough, your main challenge is parking on campus.

Will do. Frantically emailing places in the commuter belt right now. Cheers for the help.

There are pros and cons. It can be a pain traveling to UCD every day, especially I had 3 days when I finished in the school at 1.10 PM. On the plus side I met the students everyday and they saw me as just another teacher rather than as a "student" teacher, although they did start to get a bit suspicious towards the end, especially after 6 supervision visits. On balance I was happy with the UCD format.

There are pros and cons. It can be a pain traveling to UCD every day, especially I had 3 days when I finished in the school at 1.10 PM. On the plus side I met the students everyday and they saw me as just another teacher rather than as a "student" teacher, although they did start to get a bit suspicious towards the end, especially after 6 supervision visits. On balance I was happy with the UCD format.

UCD emphasise that students should find teaching placements in schools that can accomodate and facilitate them for travel time to evening classes so they are obviously aware that their system is quite different to some of the other universities.

Even though I haven't actually started yet, I can see the pros of the UCD system - being in the school every morning will definitely allow us to have more presence in the school and to become more submerged in day to day school life. As mentioned, it may also help to hide the fact that we are student teachers from the pupils (at least for a little while :p).

Really excited to get started now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 pyr8steve

Im having an awful time getting a placement, Biology and Science are my subjects , Ive sent CVs and rang so many schools and they all seem to be full up! Also Im currently living in Cork and working so I dont really have the option of calling into schools.

Im not really familiar with the area and I dont drive so I dont want to be stuck too far away from UCD, although I've been told its easy to get around once you know where your going. Im just worried about the deadline of June 30th for the teaching placement details form. Is there a bit of leeway with it?

pyr8steve,

I was in the same situation up until a few minutes ago with English and Geog. Just after getting sorted with a place in St Kevin's in Lucan which means I can even commute from Mullingar if I want to. Things'll work out. Just keep trying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Colm11

I'm just wondering does anyone know the exact fee payment for the PGDE?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 miralheti

Try girls secondary school in Beaumont, Dublin 9 beside the hospital. They rang me twice and I was already fixed up.

Has anyone received a confirmation of acceptance letter from UCD since sending in their Garda Vetting and TP forms? Gotta get crackin' on the grant application, but can't until I get one of these, apparently.

• Advertisement

Has anyone received a confirmation of acceptance letter from UCD since sending in their Garda Vetting and TP forms? Gotta get crackin' on the grant application, but can't until I get one of these, apparently.

Nope, nothing since the TP and Garda Vetting form.

I've received nothing by way of confirmation myself.

Have we got a starting date for lectures yet? Or is that waiting until UCD get their timetable together, i.e., the end of August sometime?

Celephais wrote: »
    I've received nothing by way of confirmation myself.

Have we got a starting date for lectures yet? Or is that waiting until UCD get their timetable together, i.e., the end of August sometime?

The course starts on the 22nd of August according to the info page!

The course starts on the 22nd of August according to the info page!

Jaysus, I remember reading that a while ago, but didn't find it again so assumed they were going to change it. Cheers anyways, I better start somewhat preparing soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭roe_cat

So does anyone know when we'll be starting - will therre be actual classes on 22nd?

roe_cat wrote: »
    So does anyone know when we'll be starting - will therre be actual classes on 22nd?

I think I read somewhere that it's just induction on the first day.

Anyone received anything since the Garda Vetting form etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

pyr8steve,

I was in the same situation up until a few minutes ago with English and Geog. Just after getting sorted with a place in St Kevin's in Lucan which means I can even commute from Mullingar if I want to. Things'll work out. Just keep trying.

I'm sure it's probably just a typo or something, but just in case - there is no St Kevin's in Lucan, the nearest is in Clondalkin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kodwyer

Thank God no-one else has recieved any comfirmation letters, I was beginning to think I may not have my place anymore!! My subjects are Biology and Chemistry, so excited about starting!! My teaching placement is is castleknock community college, anyone else there? I'd say we're definitely in around the week of the 22nd because schools start back the following week so they'll have to give us a bit of preparation for that, i'd hope!!

Just got my induction program today, starting on Wednesday 24th of August at 13:00, for registration and induction, finally sorted out a placement in Ardscoil Eanna in Crumlin THANK GOD!

• Advertisement

pyr8steve wrote: »
    Just got my induction program today, starting on Wednesday 24th of August at 13:00, for registration and induction, finally sorted out a placement in Ardscoil Eanna in Crumlin THANK GOD!

Congrats on the placement. Thanks for letting us know you got your induction info, no doubt ours will be along soon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 williamob

Hi,

Does anyone know how much the tax relief is worth on the PGDE fees?

Thanks

williamob wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone know how much the tax relief is worth on the PGDE fees?

Thanks

As far as I know, its 20% on a maximum of €5000. So basically, you get €1000 tax relief as the course fees exceed €5000.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 cnoc15

Hi All - very excited to be starting the course soon!

I am just wondering if people have gotten the book list they are meant to have for their respective TP classes? I have recieved details of my hours/ classes , but nothing on what books to get . I am doing English and History.

cnoc15 wrote: »

I am just wondering if people have gotten the book list they are meant to have for their respective TP classes? I have recieved details of my hours/ classes , but nothing on what books to get . I am doing English and History.

Nope, I haven't heard anything so not even sure what hours or classes I will have. The school may not have finalised booklists yet so I wouldn't worry.

You won't get reading lists for subjects until your first, second or even third lecture. Then they'll give you recommended readings. In history it's more general approaches but the english lecturer recommends different books and readings for specific parts of the curriculum like the novel or drama which is really helpful because it gives you a chance to focus on areas you're teaching rather than looking at general english teaching methods.

• Advertisement

You won't get reading lists for subjects until your first, second or even third lecture. Then they'll give you recommended readings. In history it's more general approaches but the english lecturer recommends different books and readings for specific parts of the curriculum like the novel or drama which is really helpful because it gives you a chance to focus on areas you're teaching rather than looking at general english teaching methods.

Great thanks:)

I was actually wondering about the reading lists from the school - as in what novels etc for English for example? :)

Great thanks:)

I was actually wondering about the reading lists from the school - as in what novels etc for English for example? :)

Ah right, you probably won't hear until you start. The school should give them to you but if not just get onto the publisher with the school roll number and they'll sort you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 shakasauras

Hi guys,

Does anyone know what NQAI level is assigned to the UCD PGDE?

I can't seem to find whether it's Level 8, Level 9 or no level at all which seems to be rumoured... need to find out if I can apply for a higher level grant!

p.s. Well done to everyone on getting your TP placements. Not long now!!!:confused:

Hi guys,

Does anyone know what NQAI level is assigned to the UCD PGDE?

I can't seem to find whether it's Level 8, Level 9 or no level at all which seems to be rumoured... need to find out if I can apply for a higher level grant!

p.s. Well done to everyone on getting your TP placements. Not long now!!!:confused:

As far as I know, the PGDE is Level 9 on the NFQ.

• Advertisement

petejmk wrote: »
    Ah right, you probably won't hear until you start. The school should give them to you but if not just get onto the publisher with the school roll number and they'll sort you out.

Great thanks Pete - where would I get my school roll number?! Sorry for all the questions, just trying to be as organised as I can be before I start .

Actually never mind - got it ! Thanks again!

It's getting damn close now! So is anyone else doing English and Religion and feeling like they might be slightly useless when it comes to looking for an actual job? :p

I know the first thing I'll be doing after the course is working out the best way to add another subject or two onto what I can teach; but for now, having only the one real subject is a definite concern. Anyone else in this boat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Congrats to everyone on getting placements etc. Wish I could say the same for myself. Have applied to 85 schools and have heard nothing back. :( I wish I could say that UCD were helpful, but I'd be telling a rather large lie.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ejjm1988

Einhard wrote: »
    Congrats to everyone on getting placements etc. Wish I could say the same for myself. Have applied to 85 schools and have heard nothing back. :( I wish I could say that UCD were helpful, but I'd be telling a rather large lie.:mad:

I'm in the same position. have tried schools in Dublin but have gotten nowhere. I don't have a car so I'm conscious that i have to be near transport route to ucd for classes after two. UCD haven't been to helpful with me either..bit worried now..it's gettin close

Hey just wondering if anyone here is applying for a grant, Im finished the application form but I need something from UCD to prove that I will be attending and I havent recieved anything official yet. Is there a specific office that I need to contact and can they send it through post or do I have to wait till I register?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dyne3

Hi has anybody received any information about paying fees? do we need to have them paid before we register on wed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Celephais wrote: »
    It's getting damn close now! So is anyone else doing English and Religion and feeling like they might be slightly useless when it comes to looking for an actual job? :p

I know the first thing I'll be doing after the course is working out the best way to add another subject or two onto what I can teach; but for now, having only the one real subject is a definite concern. Anyone else in this boat?

You have 2 "real" subjects. English and RE are examined up to LC and qualified teachers of RE who are willing to teach the exam curriculum are sought after. Plus the lecturer you will have for RE methods in UCD is so nice and helpful. She was my fave when I did my dip.

dyne3 wrote: »
    Hi has anybody received any information about paying fees? do we need to have them paid before we register on wed?

Just found this on the UCD website , around September 11th . http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/fee_payment_dates.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Aingeal22

Thanks so much for setting up this page. It's great to know people are in the same boat as me! Easy to forget sometimes!!! Congrats to all of you, I hope it's a fulfilling year and lots of new friendships are made. My subjects are Irish and English. Getting nervous now but good nerves!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement