Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bleaching whites

• 08-06-2011 6:16pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have loads of white clothes that are no longer as white as I'd like, or have little stains on them that a regular wash doesn't get out. I googled what the best way to do it is, but I'm getting all American sites and their washing machines tend to be different to us afair (You open them at the top, not in front, for one thing). Has anyone got any advice on the best way to do it? Just soak them? Or put bleach into the washing machine? If so, how much, can I just use Domestos or household bleach, and at what stage do I add it in? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Try vanish oxi action crystal white. Make sure its the white one not the pink.

Go for the real stuff the lidl stuff does not work

Works really good and using bleach will trash the fabric.

vanishhomeproduct3.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭happyfeet22

I got Dylon colour run remover for whites in Tesco . It comes in a box and it’s with the stain remover stuff .You just add it to water then soak the clothes in it and they come out white.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

You really can't beat Vanish, or for a cheaper version Aldi do a good knock off. If you want to try it the natural way, rub lemon juice on the stain, leave it on the line to dry and then wash it-good for small lighter coloured stains. White vinegar applied in the same way does the same.
    Also, cut down on drying whites in the dryer-sunshine naturally bleaches white clothes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

I got clothes bleach in Dunnes last month - had never seen it before. I followed the instructions on the bottle and stains came out well. I have read over time it will turn things yellow tho as the bleach breaks down fibers, but used sparingly should be ok. Had tried the Vanish on the same stains to no effect.

(As an aside, the US style toploader machines are murder on clothes - ruin them. If Twee hasn't left yet - beware!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

try napisan.. its near the milton and baby stuff in supermarkets.. its used for terry towel nappys. but it gets ur whites whiter than white!! haha i sound like a cheesy advert!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 sowdublin

Thanks folks,

It is really good thread. I was looking to use bleach on whites. Can you guys suggest where to buy clothes bleach? I really do not want to spend money on Vanish though. Cheaper alternate option would be better.

Thanks!

Advertisement