Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comparative - which two are you expecting?

• 08-06-2011 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Comparative Question... which two topics are you expecting to see?

We've only covered theme & cultural context. REALLY hoping that I don't have to answer on cultural context as I'm much more comfortable with them.

I've a feeling that CC & viewpoint may appear though... and I'll have to answer on it :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I'm swaying more and more towards cultural context, just because I can literally work through heading and heading and be able to write loads. I've always found the theme/issue to be more specific and harder to write, but that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

I'm pretty certain the GVVP (It was up last year but it is the only one that hasn't come up two years in a row) and it's a toss up between the other two. 50/50 I think. However, don't take my word for it. The thing about honours english is that it's designed to not have a pattern so that could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

B_Fanatic wrote: »
    I'm pretty certain the GVVP (It was up last year but it is the only one that hasn't come up two years in a row) and it's a toss up between the other two. 50/50 I think. However, don't take my word for it. The thing about honours english is that it's designed to not have a pattern so that could be wrong.

I have only studied the CC so if it doesn't come up im rightfully screwed

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

hoping for vision and viewpoint or cc but i've a feeling theme and issue will be on

Cultural Context seems to come up every second year, and it wasn't up last year, so I'm hopeful for it coming up.

Edit: okay, it WAS that pattern...to a point. So I guess we can't be too sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Definitely theme

(I Hope!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

tbh it doesn't make that much of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Theme or Issue and Cultural Context.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ChristinaIndigo

Definitely theme

(I Hope!)

I hope so too....

You know you're desperate when you start writing 'Theme' 'Frost' 'Boland' and 'Hamlet character' on little sticky notes & leaving your good luck stone sitting on them :') As if it'll make a difference, but, it's worth a shot! haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭babynice

Hopefully cultural context, I know it much better than themes and issues.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 UL

Anyone got any tips on what is and how to answer on cultural context? :/

UL wrote: »
    Anyone got any tips on what is and how to answer on cultural context? :/

Split it up into headings of things like 'setting' 'role of women' 'religion' etc Then, under these headings, compare your three (or in some cases two?) texts. It's up to you really what the headings are, but , generally they relate to the 'world of the text'. You could include things like money/poverty too.

Basically headings that revolve around the aspects of life in the text and for the characters...

Actually lads.... I mightn't do too bad in that question! haha! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

How does everyone else answer their Theme/Issue question? I can never get past 75% in my Theme/Issue questions (I've only ever done two essays on theme/issue) whereas i'm fairly good at cultural context questions. What I currently do is

1. Introduce the theme(Childhood) and what aspects of the theme is to be discussed (Family, Poverty, Overall happiness of the child character)
    2. Introduce the texts
    3. One line as to how family effects the theme followed by the actual comparative analysis
    4. One line as to how poverty effects the theme followed by the actual comparative analysis
    5. One line as to how overall happiness and past times effect the theme followed by the actual comparative analysis.
    6. Conclusion

Does anyone have any idea as to where i'm going wrong?

How does everyone else answer their Theme/Issue question? I can never get past 75% in my Theme/Issue questions (I've only ever done two essays on theme/issue) whereas i'm fairly good at cultural context questions. What I currently do is

1. Introduce the theme(Childhood) and what aspects of the theme is to be discussed (Family, Poverty, Overall happiness of the child character)
    2. Introduce the texts
    3. One line as to how family effects the theme followed by the actual comparative analysis
    4. One line as to how poverty effects the theme followed by the actual comparative analysis
    5. One line as to how overall happiness and past times effect the theme followed by the actual comparative analysis.
    6. Conclusion

Does anyone have any idea as to where i'm going wrong?

Make sure you include your key moments. These can be quotes, reference to particular scenes, climactic moments etc

I also tend to ensure that I refer to the development of the theme too. Like, how your chosen theme changes throughout the text/film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

I hope so too....

You know you're desperate when you start writing 'Theme' 'Frost' 'Boland' and 'Hamlet character' on little sticky notes & leaving your good luck stone sitting on them :') As if it'll make a difference, but, it's worth a shot! haha!

Omg get rid of that stone and put it on a CC sticky note! Much more general answers required there ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭irishgirl10

Im just learning 1 answer for each...fingers crossed I can mould it in to the question!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭martyllia

theme and cc!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭mockshelp

I think Theme and Cultural Context will come up...

Because so far general vision has never come up 2 years in a row AND also cultural context is not on the course for next year.

So if they don't ask cultural context this year then it would be at least 2013 until they could ask it again. It was last asked in 2009 so thats a gap of 4 years and there's never been that big of a gap before...

I hope cultural context comes up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lisabisa

Cultural Context, with the luck of god.
    Theme and issue wouldn't be too bad though as a back up!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

mockshelp wrote: »
    cultural context is not on the course for next year.

So if they don't ask cultural context this year then it would be at least 2013 until they could ask it again. It was last asked in 2009 so thats a gap of 4 years and there's never been that big of a gap before...

I hope cultural context comes up!

That's a good point, BUT. For General Vision and viewpoint you say it hasn't been up two times in a row before... Whereas theme or issue has been up twice in a row twice and CC once. I feel that might mean it WILL come up twice in a row. : P God damn lottery. If only I had a better understanding of GVVP as well as CC earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

I seem to be the only one hoping for theme or issue :D

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭hunii07

I studied GVV and CC.... I don't know which I want to come up more... I prefer GVV but I could right a lot more on CC..

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Dan1001

If anyone else is doing the ordinary paper tomorrow do you know if love is a valid theme for the comparative should themes come up? I'm going to be comparing My Sisters Keeper with The Plough and the Stars and I just want to make sure I don't loss marks for an invalid theme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭C__

VV or TI is all good for me we got all the points off our teacher so i have them learned off and not to boast but i am actually good at COmparative so i don't mind whatever one coems up :)

I've decided tonight I'm just going to write the key moments of all three of my texts and learn them well, that way I should be alright for whatever comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭brian93

www.plc.cv

Work, Role of Women, World of the text, Politics, Location, Characters, Community, Values & behaviour.

How I'm gonna remember what to write about for the cultural context :D

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭crayon1

I'm praying for theme or issue!! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭MikeHough

Make a poll

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

CC and T:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Cultural Context and Theme. Hopefully. I can do theme better in less time. Which gives me more time for Hamlet :D But I can settle for Cultural Conext if I absolutely have to.

Advertisement