Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interview for Irish teacher

• 08-06-2011 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Have an interview for a teaching job history and Irish. The main subject is history but some exam classes in Irish. I have not done Irish since my degree and been few years since I taught. I was just wondering what might they ask me through Irish to prepare any tips. Will I have to speak a lot. I confident in my Irish ability overall but kind of nervous of what may be asks. Any clues in recent years what happens thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I've only ever done one interview for an Irish teaching job (which I got) and I was asked about my opinion of the curriculum in Irish. I wasn't asked anything else, but I did speak quite a bit in Irish to answer that question so that was probably enough for them. The principal was an Irish teacher before she became principal but she didn't ask anything else in Irish.

Make sure you know the curriculum and make sure that you can talk about strategies you'd use to get the students interested. I'd imagine that that would be something that could be asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

roxychix wrote: »
    Have an interview for a teaching job history and Irish. The main subject is history but some exam classes in Irish. I have not done Irish since my degree and been few years since I taught. I was just wondering what might they ask me through Irish to prepare any tips. Will I have to speak a lot. I confident in my Irish ability overall but kind of nervous of what may be asks. Any clues in recent years what happens thanks

Be well well prepared for the Irish part.
    Most interviews for Irish jobs will be 1/2 Irish 1/2 English.

For the Irish part;
    Know the curriculum inside out at both Junior and Leaving Cert level. Both curriculums have undergone huge changes.

Know the different programmes available in the school and how the subject is taught for that programme, for example, JCSP, TY, LCA.

Have plenty of ideas on how you would make the subject interesting.

Know a lot about the Oral(now being worth a 40%) at LC level and how you will teach it. Know about the oral at JC level.

Best of luck. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

roxychix wrote: »

its usually general chit chat, more or less like the LC oral. very often those asking you the question have a limited amount of Gaeilge themselves. some schools may not even ask a single question as Gaeilge. This could well mean that Gaeilge is not high on the their list of priorities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Cailin87

Hello

I saw your post and was wondering if you could do me a massive favour and give me your opinion of the curriculum. I am from Northern Ireland and have a teaching interview for an Irish job during the week and I am not very familiar with the curriculum. You seem to know what you're talking about so any advice or pointers would be unbelievably appreciated!!!

THank you!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Cailin87 wrote: »
    Hello

I saw your post and was wondering if you could do me a massive favour and give me your opinion of the curriculum. I am from Northern Ireland and have a teaching interview for an Irish job during the week and I am not very familiar with the curriculum. You seem to know what you're talking about so any advice or pointers would be unbelievably appreciated!!!

THank you!!

I would advise you to have a look at the exam papers and textbooks which you can find in Easons. the papers can also be found online. www.examinations.ie

you can familiarise yourself with the curriculum there. if the kids think you know what you are talking about it does help.
    For the junior cycle you may be teaching foundation level, which is a matter of ticking the correct box, but your real job there is really crowd control.
    for pass you are still teaching a two year syllabus that can be covered in a month or two.
    the good thing about honours is that you can choose any poem you want to so long as it ties in with themes of nadur, daoine aosta etc. you also have to do a novella or short stories.

for the leaving Cert a good knowledge of grammar is still important.

it might be a good idea to dilute the northern dialect or at least reassure them that you are speaking standard, as 'Donegal' Irish is still perceived as being incomprehensible to many in the south. it is of course a ridiculous suggestion but could possibly avoid confrontation.

hope this is of some help. good luck with the interview.

• Advertisement
Advertisement