Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Syncopation?

• 08-06-2011 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭

Not exactly sure where to put this, but here we go.

I'm good at singing. I'm good at playing guitar. Unfortunately, when the two go together, things start to mess up. When the lyrics are offbeat to the chords (syncopation) I'm not able to process both in my head. Either the singing fails or I lose rhythm on guitar. Are there any ways I can help to improve this or is it just something you have to be naturally good at? Any examples/exercises would be great :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭kahler

sadly, its just practice. and it will drive you nuts. but thats about it. break down the song, a verse at a time or even a a line or two at a time. and go over it till you crack it. are you strumming or picking? but its the hard slog, im afraid..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Strumming. I find it easier picking strangely enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭kahler

funny that. usually the other way round. depends on the strumming too tho. is that finger picking or picking melody lines with a plec? with the finger picking, the fingers just follow a pattern, i think, but with a melody line its very very difficult. the voice tends to follow the guitar. "employ" a singer and be The Force Behind The Music on lead. far cooler. leather trousers also help..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Really just practice. It'll come to you-like anything you're not just going to automatically be able to do it first try.
    Practice playing and singing "Gigantic" by the Pixies. It's not particularly hard, but it should challenge you, and help you understand how to get the two separate rhythms correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭phileeoonskee

You should try doing exercises that promote hemisphere independence, split up your left and right brain a little bit. Stuff like patting your head and rubbing your stomach or lifting your left arm and your right knee at the same time and then vice versa. I'm sure you could find some better ones if you google it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement