Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spine Cards

• 08-06-2011 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭

I read somewhere that there are stores that sell loose and/or repro spine cards. Anyone got any ideas where I can track these down and out of curiosity, do spine cards matter to you?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I have one japanese saturn game in mint condition with spine card included and I don't really see what purpose the spine card actually has???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

I think for me it's more a matter of completeness. That said I wouldn't pay more than €5-€10 above one that didn't have a spine card. Unless the condition of the overall package was significantly better of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

Think the actual barcode is on the spine,adds completeness and price rise to the package,same apply for jap music cds.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Spine cards are also usually the place you'll find prices (took me a while to figure that out after confusing a few employees by trying to ask them a price :pac:), although mostly with CDs and older games.

It does have the unfortunate effect of having sales in Japan a bit of a rarity. Most places just sell at the RRP, with only a few titles at a time in the bargain bin.

I'm a bit OCD about my small, but growing collection. Without the spine card I feel like I'm not getting the whole item. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Always wondered about them myself. The only thing I really collect Japanese copies of is Saturn games. I thought it was unique to them and Dreamcast games...didn't realize it was a general Japanese thing!

Indeed, however I just received two NTSC-J titles this morning. One a PSX title, complete with spine card, the other a brand new sealed PS2 title but *gasp!* no spine card.

Odd.

I guess DVD casing doesn't qualify for spine cards, unless anyone knows otherwise?

Because my collection is niche, I'd say 99% of what I buy is/will be NTSC-J. Unless there's PAL or NTSC-U only titles out there?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Never got a spine card with a japanese PS2 game.

Phew! I can sleep easy now and rest my OCD laurels! :D

Question still begs though where can you buy loose ones or reprints?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If you're OCD enough to want to replace missing spine cards then reprints really would be pointless and kind of defeat the purpose of wanting the whole original package.

I've seen some sellers on ebay in Japan selling them on their own. However I think it's more of a case of take what you get when they appear rather than having a big list of them to look through and select the ones you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,733 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I never know what to do with the spine cards I get with Japanese art books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I just stick them into the manual of my Jap PS1 and DC games. It's nice to have them but they're too easily lost/daamaged.

Advertisement