Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is replay value dead?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

In single player for the most part yes. Too many people complained about 'finishing' a game in 6 hours that developers started padding their games out so much that replayability suffered.

Thankfully nowadays we have multiplayer and those people know one good map is better than 10 average ones. You can play the same 'level' a hundred times provided the game mechanics and challenges don't get repetitive.

Note: theres still a good replayability ethos in the low budget/indie game space cos those guys don't have the resources to create 'interactive worlds' or longwinded story driven content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭gflood

This is a great thread.

I play all games one level about default difficulty. it really makes a difference and while I rarely reply at least I had a challenge. Castlevania Lords of Shadow got poor review but if you play it on a hard difficulty and learn and master all the unlcokable moves the depth there is incredible. I play all Halo games on Heroic, its like playing a different game. Enemies duck, evade and try to flank you. its great.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

I miss 'levels' too, when did the blending of an entire game together into super short checkpoints become the norm?

A good hard level that depends on your quality of progress through its entirety is a wonderful challenge. Do bad at the start? The end is harder, do well in the beginning, that extra health and ammo will be put to good use and hard earned.

I find many fps games have checkpoints every room you clear, and they have to lacking a level based game. There is nothing wrong with retiring to a stats screen and options menu to reflect on as you await a fresh and newly themed stage of gameplay, blend it all together and you get a blur.

Advertisement