Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Biology

• 08-06-2011 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hey I'm doing higher biology. Obvioulsy I need to pass, but I know next to nothing. What's do you suggest I do?
    What topics should I be focusing on most :/

I would be delighted with a D at this stage

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Platinum2010

GSI wrote: »
    Hey I'm doing higher biology. Obvioulsy I need to pass, but I know next to nothing. What's do you suggest I do?

Human Reproduction
    DNA and that stuff
    Ecology
    Respiration and Photosynthesis

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭GSI

Human Reproduction
    DNA and that stuff
    Ecology
    Respiration and Photosynthesis

No genetics?:O really is that all?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

I suggest you try and learn off unit 1+2, its only the first 17 chapters but that will cover 80% of your exam

And then maybe learn off a few important chapters from unit 3 like human reproduction, viruses, sexual reproduction on flowering plants, and the skeleton, all of which are tipped to come up this year.

Also I suggest you learn off some enzyme experiments one iv very likely this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

As said, with genetics and the experiments.. If you use the search function some points have already been made and even in the prediction thread, best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭brian93

Long questions -

Ecology will come up. Learn/cram the chapter and you can get near the full 60 marks.

Genetics will come up, but that doesn't suit some students, and there's a lot to it.

Respiration and/or Photsynthesis will come up.

I hate being a predictor but I'm feeling, and I've heard the urinary system ie. the nephron as well as some micro-organism question, maybe viruses.

Experiments -

What I think -

DNA from a plant extraction
    One of the 4 enzyme experiments
    Preparation of alcohol (respiration)
    There's more, but they'd be on the top of my list ( well my teachers!)

Short Questions -

Mitosis has come up every year I think, except last year. Bells ringing?!
    Food
    Probabaly ecology
    Some human system

It's hard to narrow it done, but I think you won't be doing too badly with the above.

Don't take my word for it though! They're just predictions!

• Advertisement

Thanks guys:)
    I'm absoulutely ****ting here:( I'm so worried about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Human Reproduction

Could I leave alot of human reproduction out at this stage because I know it the least or is it expected to come up in section A and B?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lisabisa

You got a week, which includes the weekend so if you put your head down you'll get it done! Ecology is prob the easiest, and then I'd chose food instead of genetics.

Could anyone explain the formation of urine in the nephron in really simple terms. I can't understand it:/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

Could anyone explain the formation of urine in the nephron in really simple terms. I can't understand it:/
    The blood enters the bowmans capsule through the afferent arteriole (Afferent and Efferent, E for exit, so afferent must be the way in. Is how I remember it)
    It gets filtered through the Glomerulus (Don't have my book on me so this is probably spelled horribly) due to the high pressure. Proteins cannot pass through the glomerulus because they're too big.
    It goes through the Proximal convoluted tubule (Proximal- Proximity-close. Distal-Distance-Further away) and while it goes through that, materials are re-absorbed by the capillaries that run across it. It flows down through the loop of henle, up through the Distal convoluted tubule, and ends in the collecting duct as urine.

This is all off the top of my head so bits may not be 100%...

Oh, and am I the only one who thinks that the Loop of Henle, Organ of Corti, Islets of Langerhans and the Nodes of Ranvier sound like they belong in a computer game?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

Oh, I forgot to say that the BLOOD doesn't go through the glomerulus. Due to high pressure, the plasma is squeezed from the blood. THAT goes through the tubes.

Haha, thanks so much man. I would thank your post but it won't let me till I have 10 posts or something:)

Is there much of a chance of the senses coming up?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Vodkat

The ear is long due to appear, hasn't been on the paper since 1989.

Got a good bit done on excreation/urinary system tonight.

Bit of pressure off, panic attack seems to be over for now:)

no doubt I will be posting in the thread looking for reassurance/help again before Thursday.

Now to english P2:D Thanks everyone.

Advertisement