Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Album Do You Loathe

Options
  • 08-06-2011 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

An album you couldn't bring yourself to own, for any particular reason whatsoever, that if you were given as a gift you would faster bin then even give a single listen too? Maybe it's that album which, as a massive fan of a band or artist, let you down so badly that you can't bring yourself to acknowledge it again.

Maybe a solo album masked under a good name, or an act so far gone you can't understand why they still tour, let alone purchase studio recording time...

My personal nomination, which I'm sure it wouldn't take long to be brought up, would be

51Q827J17JL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Some comments from "satisfied" customers on Amazon who share my views
    St Anger will present a major disappointment
    I for one felt let down and really gutted. I love Metallica and have tried playing this so many times just to even start to like the odd track but I end up frustrated and it gets thrown back from where I last dug it out of!
    I'm afraid St Anger is truly awful. That really is all there is to say about it. I wanted to like it, I tried to like it. But it's impossible. It is unmitigated rubbish and should never have been released.
    utter crap

iv tried to like this album but i just cant . compared to death magnetric this looks like a frissbee

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

Probably Iron Maiden's new album. I just can't get into it for love nor money, and it just sounds way too laid back as well. I don't know what all the fuss is about, because it's terrible and it doesn't stand up against the old classic albums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

Creed's greatest hits. I heard one of their songs and decided to buy their greatest hits album because generally thats where most of the best songs are.
    Some of the worst ****e iv ever listened to.

At least Alter Bridge made it up to me by being savage, Scott Stapp still owes me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

Have to agree with whoever said this. Just didnt hit the nail on the head at all for me ethier.
    finalfrontier300.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,585 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Hmm, hard one to answer. I don't avoid albums because they're ****e because I usually need to listen to them first (and I need to buy them for that!).

However, there are plenty of albums I have that I'm too ashamed to display in my CD collection and store them in a box.

My list of "WTF was I thinking" is:

Amen - We have come for your parents
    Crazytown - The gift of game
    Downthesun - Downthesun
    Killswitch Engage - The end of heartache
    MOP - Warriorz
    Papa Roach - Lovehatetragedy

Many of these were bought because a 16/17/18 year old me blindly followed Kerrang :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Swansong from Carcass. Have tried, I really have, but just can't get into it with the exception of 1 tune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Locked In By Wishbone Ash it's the worst album in the history of rock music, but what amazes me is that the albums either side of that are brillant albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I don't hate any particular albums, except for ones made by hipster bands, but here are a few wtf?! and regret purchases

1. Billy Idols greatest hits: I got this on the basis of White Wedding and Rebel Yell, classic songs, but I don't like the rest of his material
    2. Bloc Party Silent Alarm: Listened to this a few times before I got bored.
    3. The Futureheads: first album, Rubbish.
    4. Kasabian: first album, yet more rubbish
    5. Graham Coxon: got his 2005 and 2006 albums, I used to like his music, I'm wondering why now.
    6. RCHP Stadium Arcadium: Apart from Dani California I found this to be a boring album, also the guitar soloing was fairly predictable classic rock influenced stuff.
    7. SOAD Mezmerize: sounded like half the songs were written in 5 minutes. Dull and stock.
    8. Marilyn Manson Antichrist Superstar: some ok songs but mostly by the numbers heavy rock.
    9. The Smiths compilation albums: I'm still trying to figure out why I liked The Smiths. I dislike them now apart from the guitar playing.
    10. The Clash debut album: I don't hate them and they have some good songs but the first album does nothing for me.
    11.Rush: Fly By Night: I found this uninspiring, technically pretty but boring.
    12. Austrian Death Machine: Lambesis isn't funny, the songs are a bit meh, typical over mastered in your face 21st century metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

I don't hate any particular albums, except for ones made by hipster bands, but here are a few wtf?! and regret purchases

1. Billy Idols greatest hits: I got this on the basis of White Wedding and Rebel Yell, classic songs, but I don't like the rest of his material
    3. The Futureheads: first album, Rubbish.
    4. Kasabian: first album, yet more rubbish
    5. Graham Coxon: got his 2005 and 2006 albums, I used to like his music, I'm wondering why now.
    6. RCHP Stadium Arcadium: Apart from Dani California I found this to be a boring album, also the guitar soloing was fairly predictable classic rock influenced stuff.
    7. SOAD Mezmerize: sounded like half the songs were written in 5 minutes. Dull and stock.
    8. Marilyn Manson Antichrist Superstar: some ok songs but mostly by the numbers heavy rock.
    9. The Smiths compilation albums: I'm still trying to figure out why I liked The Smiths. I dislike them now apart from the guitar playing.
    10. The Clash debut album: I don't hate them and they have some good songs but the first album does nothing for me.
    11.Rush: Fly By Night: I found this uninspiring, technically pretty but boring.
    12. Austrian Death Machine: Lambesis isn't funny, the songs are a bit meh, typical over mastered in your face 21st century metal.
    Rush Fly By Night is an excellent album one track that stands out is By Tor The Snow Dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I don't loathe it, but "God hates us all" is really not that great
    "Christ Illusion" on the other hand, gets a thumbs up from me, a complete turnaround.

200motels wrote: »
    Rush Fly By Night is an excellent album one track that stands out is By Tor The Snow Dog.

Well thats your opinion but I found By Tor to be musically boring, their songs don't really evoke any feelings, its just music by numbers in a sense, for me anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Anything by The Red Hot Chilli Peppers, can only listen to about 20 seconds of any track before i wanna stick a fork in my eye

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Anything by Kiss or Judas Priest.

Pretty much everything by Ozzy from the last 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EggsAckley

Well thats your opinion but I found By Tor to be musically boring, their songs don't really evoke any feelings, its just music by numbers in a sense, for me anyway.
    Really? Anthem and Beneath, between, behind couldn't be more different to By-Tor. It's such a diverse album to suggest it doesn't evoke feelings seems like an odd criticism, both these songs always had a proto punk feel to me. Anyway each to there own
    Gone to earth by barkley James harvest is probably the album by I hate the most in my collection, pile of whimpy crap

EggsAckley wrote: »
    Really? Anthem and Beneath, between, behind couldn't be more different to By-Tor. It's such a diverse album to suggest it doesn't evoke feelings seems like an odd criticism, both these songs always had a proto punk feel to me. Anyway each to there own
    Gone to earth by barkley James harvest is probably the album by I hate the most in my collection, pile of whimpy crap

Its been 10 years since I've listened to it but essentially yes, nothing on the album evokes any feeling as I find the songs to be well, boring. Rivendell aroused some interest for the first few chords but that soon went.I listen to other prog bands and they do engage me, I can't put my finger on it but the chord and melodic progressions just don't do anything for me. That said I respect Rush for being a prog band and sticking to their guns in being unashamedly prog.

Here's some albums I just can't stand, and they are also really dissapointing:

Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance - Lots of boring nu metal guitar riffs. Thankfully their last album was rather excellent.

Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution - I just found the riffs, music and songs really boring. Nostradamus is way better.

Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life And Death - Just too laid back. Although 'Lord of Light' and 'The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breej' are truly fantastic.

Nightwish - Dark Passion Play - Ruined by nu metal\downtuned guitars and the new singers vocals. The old stuff was far superior.

Rush - Snakes And Arrows - I just couldn't get into it at all. I just wish Rush would return to the days old and do ten minute class songs like 'The Camera Eye' etc.

Rush - Test For Echo - Just really boring and uninspired guitar riffs, and boring songs. The title track is excellent, but other than that the rest of it is just not my cup of tea at all.

Cradle of Filth - Darkly, Darkly, Venus Aversa - I heard it, and everything including Dani's voclas sounded terrible. I don't think they'll ever release a class album like 'Dusk...And Her Embrace' ever again. Even 'Midian' was actually very very good.

Opeth - Ghost Reveries - Sounds like Opeth were going for a straight ahead death metal sound. The album for me was a complete letdown. One of the main reasons I got into Opeth in the first place, was those really awesome rich guitar melodies, awesome leads etc. I basically lost interest in them after the outstanding 'Blackwater Park' album.

In Flames - Reroute to Remain - The had a terrible boring nu metal guitar sound that ruined the whole album.

In Flames - Soundtrack to Your Escape - Same as above.

David Bowie - Tonight - This album only had two incredible songs on it, 'Loving The Alien' and 'Blue Jean'. The rest of the album was really forgettable.

Paradise Lost - Symbol of Life - Definitely a hugely dissapointing album compared to classic albums like 'Gothic, Icon, Draconian Times and One Second'. The new album is actually very good.

Old Man's Child - Slaves of The World - I think Old Man's Child lost it on this album. The musicianship is truly excellent, but the songs and riffs are just not there.

Anathema - A Natural Disaster - I thought this album was really very bland, and the guitar riffs sound like they are loud for the sake of being loud.

The Cult - Born Into This - Absolutely downright awful album. Every thing on it is really boring and mundane. They were once a great band with albums like 'Dreamtime, Love, Sonic Temple and also 'Ceremony' which was good.

Those albums are just horrendous. I really love a lot of these bands/artists, but these albums in particular are really bad. Some of them have one or two amazing songs, and some have not a single outstanding song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

The first metal album I bought was Technical Ecstacy by Black Sabbath in early 80's. I remember playing it and wondering WTF this is shyte (bar Rock n Roll Doctor), thankfully I got a loan of some of their other stuff and realised that this was a blip. Rubbish album from a great band.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Cradle of Filth - Darkly, Darkly, Venus Aversa - I heard it, and everything including Dani's voclas sounded terrible. I don't think they'll ever release a class album like 'Dusk...And Her Embrace' ever again. Even 'Midian' was actually very very good.
    Agree there, I loved Midian, one of my favourite CoF albums.

For me it's Thornography by CoF. I listened to a few songs off it, and just awful. Maybe I'm judging it hard on the albums I love, I dunno. I haven't listened to the latest one much, guess I'm trying to steer clear a bit.

Oh, and obligatory shout out to Illud Divinum Insanus from Morbid Angel.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Motorhead - Motorizer
    Dio - Angry Machines
    Dio - Killing the Dragon
    AC/DC - Fly on the Wall
    Ozzy - Scream

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I I can't put my finger on it but the chord and melodic progressions just don't do anything for me. That said I respect Rush for being a prog band and sticking to their guns in being unashamedly prog.

Ah! Yes 100% could have written this myself! I'm the same - I can't explain why I don't get Rush, but I just don't feel good when I hear them, almost uncomfortable and detached.

They're a definite Marmite group and the fans I've met are something else - very protective of the band and any criticism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭RC88

GNR - Chinese Democracy

AC/DC - Fly on the wall

Fleetwood Mac - Tusk

Santana - Guitar Heaven

Listened to each one once and never again since

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Megadeth - Risk . Apart from one song, it's a pile of crap, and I can't sell it, so if anyone wants it on CD..........

Megadeth - Cryptic Writings. While it has some really good songs, the production doesn't sit with me, when you compare it to previous albums

Megadeth - Black Album. Something about it I don't like anymore, too "clean" sounding????

Florence and the Machine - ok, we know you can sing, no need to wail on an outro for 10 mins. Stunt vocals do nothing for me..........

Bands you hear in Topshop, and dress like the window of Topshop. "Spring/Summer 2011" bands.........

RC88 wrote: »

GNR - Chinese Democracy

I forgot about that album. It was beyond terrible. Definitely the worst album they ever did.

seachto7 wrote: »
    Megadeth - Risk . Apart from one song, it's a pile of crap, and I can't sell it, so if anyone wants it on CD..........

Megadeth - Cryptic Writings. While it has some really good songs, the production doesn't sit with me, when you compare it to previous albums

Megadeth - Black Album. Something about it I don't like anymore, too "clean" sounding????
    Florence and the Machine - ok, we know you can sing, no need to wail on an outro for 10 mins. Stunt vocals do nothing for me..........

Bands you hear in Topshop, and dress like the window of Topshop. "Spring/Summer 2011" bands.........

Is this Metallica you mean? If so I agree, there is so much filler on this album in hindsight. When it first came out I loved the record but after a few months I used to skip alot of the songs on it. Such as "Sad but True", "Holier than thou" "Through the never" "Of wolf and man", all rubbish.
    However some great songs too like "Unforgiven" but really overhyped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Yup, Metallica is who I meant. Sometimes the black album feels like an hour of the same song. In hindsight, The Unforgiven is one of the best racks. I like Through the never as well, pretty decent riff, but a lot of the songs don't age well with me, such as Wherever I may Roam, Sad but True, Don't Tread on Me (sh*te song....) The Struggle Within.

Personally, I would put Through the Never, Holier than Thou and the Unforgiven as the best tracks. I'm sick of Enter Sandman. The last 4 songs on the album just plod along boringly.

I wouldn't say I hate the album, but most of the time, I'd rather not listen to it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 The_RevMKII

Metallica's St. Anger was brutal...Gave it a few listens n' haven't listened to it since late 2007

I forgot "The struggle within" what a dud. "Wherever..." I like but agree it hasn't aged well at all. Probably a bit long. "Sandman" is a bit odd in the way it exposed alot of middle of road people to Metallica whils't not being a very Metallica- like song. Personally I had many a good mosh to this song.
    Actually in hindsight I think the much maligned Load is a better album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

This, I tried so hard to get into it as their other two albums are two of my favourite albums ever.

I hate the New Morbid Angel, The last Municipal waste record was rubbish, Stadium Arcadium, Rock and Roll by Motorhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

I'm going with the 'worst-of' high profile artists.

AC/DC - Stiff Upper Lip: apart from the opener and closer, this is a really insipid affair. It's the only AC/DC CD I've sold off.

David Bowie - Lodger: hyped as part of Bowie's 'classic' Berlin trilogy. Bears no relation to Low or Heroes. Characterless. The only Bowie CD I've offloaded.

The Clash - London Calling: I do like four or five songs off this double album. But I'm afraid it's the most overhyped and underperforming album of the punk/new wave era.

Metallica - St. Anger: although they had been sliding prior to this effort, St. Anger is such self-indulgent claptrap (get over your drug problem on your own time puhleeeese) that I sold it after a about a year giving it a chance.

Van Morrison - Astral Weeks: I *never* got this album. Reedy, whiny vocals. Unlistenable. Moondance was a vast improvement. And I have most of his other decent albums.

Rolling Stones - Exile on Main St.: there are worse Stones albums. But there is so much badly produced dross on this album that it is so far at variance from its reputation, that it merits a big thumbs down. Regardless of the classic Tumbling Dice (not recorded at the South of France sessions).

Slayer - God Hates Us All: love Bloodline. The rest is a one-dimensional screamfest. Sold it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I forgot about that album. It was beyond terrible. Definitely the worst album they ever did.

Clearly you must be thinking of a different album. Chinese Democracy is a masterpiece, I can only assume your confused;)
    McDave wrote: »
    David Bowie - Lodger: hyped as part of Bowie's 'classic' Berlin trilogy. Bears no relation to Low or Heroes. Characterless. The only Bowie CD I've offloaded.

How did you feel about "Reality"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

How did you feel about "Reality"
    You've inspired me to put it on. I like it a lot. It has punch and personality. The arrangements are good. Visconti and Bowie obviously make a good team!

In fact I like quite a lot of his later stuff - 'Buddha of Suburbia', 'Heathen' and 'Hours' are all worth a look in. I'm glad he kept his hand in.

I'd be less gone on the earlier stuff like 'Space Oddity' and 'The Man Who Ruled the World' (although they have their moments, especially TMWRTW).

BTW, Bowie is probably my favourite solo artist of all time.

Advertisement