Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Mario Land

Options
  • 08-06-2011 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭

This thread is obviously inspired by it's recent appearance in the eShop on the 3DS. I decided to splash out today (€4) and downloaded it earlier.

What are peoples opinion of Super Mario Land here? How does it rank in the overall scheme of Mario games?

I still have the original game in my collection but the screen on the GameBoy I have isn't really good enough. Too dull to see what is going on, so I hadn't played it in years. When it first came out I really liked the game. Besides Tetris it was the best game I had on the system in the first year or so. I like the fact that it differs from other Mario games with the vehicle sections.

I like the fact that you can boot the game on the 3DS up with a GameBoy border. The border is in 3D so it gives the effect of playing the game on the original system. The picture is actually sharper too when playing this way as the screen is smaller.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's a good game but not up to marios best. It has a very weird feel to it which is probably down to miyamoto having very little to do with it and it being made by Yokoi Gunpei's team that made Metroid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I didn't like this game cause Daisy was the one being rescued :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Super Mario Land and it's sequel were in the collection of every gameboy owner I knew. It's been a long time since I've played them but they made one or two family holidays bearable! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jpt1980

Downloaded it myself, some great tunes but a lot shorter than I remembered.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ah now, Daisy is the slutty one. You seen those short shorts she wears in Mario golf? She'd put out far quicker than that prude Peach.

• Advertisement

I have it for my original Game Boy. A bit strange compared to the usual Mario series, with the bouncing fireballs and Koopa Troopas that explode, among many other things, but still a good game nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Mario Land is a great addition to the Mario series, yes its short but it's lots of fun.
    It's probably my favourite platformer on the GB because of its lenght, it can be played through from start to finish on a short journey precisely what handheld gaming was all about.

If you check TwinGalaxies the world record completion time is 19"22's, I tried on several occasions to beat this time but could never get under 20 minutes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yeah, I'd sleep with Daisy but I'd be thinking about Peach!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

Loved Mario Land 2. Looked cool when you saw the golden coins floating into place when you finished a land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

As a small kid I remember prefering Mario land one to it's more popular sucessor. It definitely has a weird feel to it. It was pretty unique due to there being two shoot em up levels in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Any excuse to post this again

• Registered Users Posts: 34,813 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Haha!, you've just reminded me that I bought this. I came in drunk last night after seeing Alice Cooper and remembered that Link's Awakening had been released on the 3DS store. So in my dabauched haze, I turned on my 3DS and just about managed to download that and Super Mario Land. I'm pretty sure I fell asleep before I had a chance to play either of them :D

Super Mario Land is a great game. It's far too easy and as Retr0 said, it's down right odd (always wondered why the fireballs bounced off the ground into space!?) but It's one of those games I'm sure everyone has so many fond memorys of playing it just feels wrong criticizing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd sleep with Daisy but I'd be thinking about Peach!

That wouldnt be a Red Dwarf rip off gag now would it:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

If you are playing Super Mario Land on the 3DS you can change the colour tone. If you're playing it with the Gameboy border (holding select when starting the game) you can hold the L & R buttons and the Y to switch between colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,813 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If you are playing Super Mario Land on the 3DS you can change the colour tone. If you're playing it with the Gameboy border (holding select when starting the game) you can hold the L & R buttons and the Y to switch between colours.

Haha! Cheers, that's awesome! Gives it the original GB green tint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Ah now, Daisy is the slutty one. You seen those short shorts she wears in Mario golf? She'd put out far quicker than that prude Peach.
    You just reminded me of this poll:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=291674

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

DinoRex wrote: »

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Daisy was and is my favorite.

I played SML pretty much incessantly as a 9 and 10 year old, my cousins and I certainly didn't find it too easy or short, I only managed to beat it twice if I remember. Might get it out again sometime soon, would be the first time in 20 years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sparks43 wrote: »
    That wouldnt be a Red Dwarf rip off gag now would it:pac:

It is!
    One of the funniest lines in any comedy anywhere imho.
    I posted the same video many moons ago, but Dwarfies are hard to come by these days, roll on the new series!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It is!
    One of the funniest lines in any comedy anywhere imho.
    I posted the same video many moons ago, but Dwarfies are hard to come by these days, roll on the new series!

A new series? Please say it's not true.

I was a big fan of the show back in it's early days. I even found some of the later episodes funny enough. But the three part special from a couple of years ago was outrageously bad.

• Advertisement

Back to earth wasnt that bad tbh

Ok so it wasnt the finest moments of Red Dwarf but it has paved the way for a complete series and hopefully a lot of loose ends can be tied up

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭ScaldyMc

Downloaded this game, loving it.

A new series? Please say it's not true.

I was a big fan of the show back in it's early days. I even found some of the later episodes funny enough. But the three part special from a couple of years ago was outrageously bad.

I thought it was better than some of that latter series without Rimmer. I think there's as many as two new series in the pipe line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Just got this on ebay for £4.29 delivered! :)

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Back to earth wasnt that bad

Yes, yes it was.
    You can hand in your Red Dwarf Fan Club badge at the door on your way out, go back to watching re-runs of Friends or something else with added estrogen!

And as for the new season, here's the facts M'am...
    The future
    Doug Naylor stated in an interview with Dave before the broadcast of Back to Earth that he would like to make another full-length series, but added that "we would have to wait and see" how good or bad the reaction to the new specials would be. He also stated that he would not want to make a series 9 but that he might make a series 10, and explained that this would "make a lot more sense in future". The specials establish that two series focusing on the events leading up to Back to Earth occurred after series eight; during the fictional ninth series (described within the episode by one fan as "the best series yet"), Kryten informed Lister that Kochanski had died, but within Back to Earth Lister learned that Kochanski hadn't died at all, leaving open the possibility of Lister's pursuit of Kochanski in future episodes.
    Speaking on BBC Radio 2, Craig Charles confirmed that two new series were being produced, and that filming begins in November 2011.[58] Chris Barrie revealed that the new series will be counted as series 10.[59] However, a post on the official Red Dwarf website on 11 June 2010 stated that nothing has been confirmed yet.[60] On 21 January 2011 it was confirmed that a new series will be filmed in late 2011 to be broadcast in 2012 on the digital channel Dave.[61] However, UKTV, owners of Dave, have so far refused to comment, suggesting that it has not been officially greenlit.[62] While attending Dimension Jump XVI, Red Dwarf's co-creator, writer, director and executive producer Doug Naylor confirmed to fans that a new series of Red Dwarf would be aired on Dave in late 2012, with filming taking place in late 2011 and early 2012

Saw this review of a Super Mario Land comic book the other day:

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/linkara/at4w/31399-gameboy-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

I sincerely hope the AngryVideoGameNerd has plans to sue this guy.

Why can i not multiple thank:mad:

Nearly Pissed myself watching that

But this guy wears a hat!

• Advertisement

They already settled it the old fashined way.

Advertisement