Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

YouthReach

Options
  • 08-06-2011 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭

What exactly can people tell me about the above? Good few jobs advertised in this sector but I am unsure how it works. Does the Dept of Ed recognise these centres for increments, pension rights, etc? And how does the payscale in them work? Thanks for any assistance you can give.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Art Teacher

You have the same entitlements - if its part time casual its the same, if its pro rata part time its the same. There are very few permanent posts or wholetime posts in Youthreach but if you get such contract - its the same entitlements as regular teaching.

You will be employed by a VEC not the Department.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I seem to recall there was a lot of work done in the last few years to get qualified people recognised as teachers (rather than tutors) for the purposes of increments and CIDs in Youthreach. However, if you aren't qualified, there might be a difficulty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭SM746

yeah im fully qualified and have h.dip since 2007. just wanted to check a little more up on youthreach before i applied to them. thanks for the info so far

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

SM746 wrote: »
    yeah im fully qualified and have h.dip since 2007. just wanted to check a little more up on youthreach before i applied to them. thanks for the info so far

The salary scale is a little different, you'll find it here. The TUI website has a good bit on YR, but in summary, the salary scale is different, you pay into a pension, the part-time rate is the same as regular teaching and you would be entitled to a CID after 4 consecutive years.

Be aware as well that the holidays are different too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭SM746

thanks deemark just flicked through a 57 page report on it on the tui website. pretty different in places and very similar in others. 15 / 20 hours a week contact time and the rest admin up to 35 hours. a lot longer year (Sept 1st - July 31st) and your 30 / 35 day holiday entitlement must be taken when the centre is closed to pupils. Would be a drastic change to my previous couple of years of 18 and 20 hours contracts so not too sure about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Art Teacher

The salary scales you looked at were for the co-ordinator and resource. This has nothing to do with the teacher contract.
    Yes you will have a shorter summer hoilday, but this meansmore pay for a part-timer.
    I dont know what mean when you refer to paperwork - if your the teacher as opposed to the co-ordinator/resource.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Conorlly

Hey, was wondering if anyone knew anything about what a resource person and literacy/English position in youthreach entails, as I have an interview coming up?

Are students just taught leaving cert / junior cert syllabus material, or do I need to look for fetac stuff?

Says they'll ask:

1. Knowledge and understanding of the Youthreach Programme and the particular subject area they will be teaching

2. Planning and Preparation

3. Professional Responsibility (classroom management)

4. Information Handling

5. Interpersonal skills

Mainly concerned about the first one? Anyone know the workings of such a programme for English and literacy?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Conorlly wrote: »
    Hey, was wondering if anyone knew anything about what a resource person and literacy/English position in youthreach entails, as I have an interview coming up?

Are students just taught leaving cert / junior cert syllabus material, or do I need to look for fetac stuff?

Says they'll ask:

1. Knowledge and understanding of the Youthreach Programme and the particular subject area they will be teaching

4. Information Handling

5. Interpersonal skills

Mainly concerned about the first one? Anyone know the workings of such a programme for English and literacy?

Not an expert but there are two YR centres in my county and they do Leaving Cert Applied and FETAC.

You'll probably find what you need here:

http://www.youthreach.ie/

And perhaps check if the centre you're applying to has a website/ page on their VEC's website and see their particulars.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Conorlly

Cheers rainbow, as fas as I can discern, it's primarily fetac modules and leaving cert applied.

Checked the schools we page btw, just one page deep. Everything is done throught the youthreach website.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭doc_17

I think the teachers that work in youthreach are now doing the 167 days per year from next year on, the same a teacher in mainstream. Or at least that's what I gathered from the last union (you know - the people who do nothing for us) meeting. They were chuffed. Major win for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 birdlake

Conorlly wrote: »

Says they'll ask:

4. Information Handling

5. Interpersonal skills

I'm going to give you a fairly detailed answer because I was in your shoes and found it very difficult to find useful info on Youthreach.This position is for a resource contract not a teaching contract. Make sure you are aware of the difference (payscale, hours per week and holidays being the main ones.) Is it advertised as full-time? If so you would have a 35 hour week. Holidays in most centres are; Christmas, Easter and August off and another week to take whenever you like during the year. Also if this is your first resource contract you would be starting on step 1 of the payscale, there's a link for it somewhere up the thread. Any prior experience on a teaching contract is still not recognised as far as I am aware. (Anyone know of anything happening on that front?)

Now that might all sound a bit negative so here are the positives; Youthreach is a more relaxed informal environment to work in, students usually refer to you by first name and you get to know them v well...they tend to have more respect and time for you (and your subject) because of this. Youthreach has suffered cut backs along with everyone else but it's much easier to get decent equipment/ go on trips/ organise extra curricular stuff because of the small numbers. It may be longer hours but you would find that the time is often spent planning and preparing lessons, which you'd be doing in your own time normally so that more or less balances out.

Other tasks a Resource person might do vary from organising trips/ speakers, submitting details into the FETAC system, deputising for the Co- ordinator, interviewing prospective students and so on. Focus on your calm, unflappable nature, never ending patience and ability to break tasks down into small manageable chunks in your interview! Any other Q's just ask. Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭CraftySue

Doc17, does this apply to resource tutors, you wouldn't have a link by any chance to this info - which union was this with, i presuming TUI. Sorry for all the questions, but this would be great news if it was true.
    Birdlake I got previous teaching experience recognised for working as a resource tutor with youthreach, this was 4 years ago, not sure if it still aplies to new tutors. I don't mind the longer hours, as you say its used for prep work, but I do find working the summer holidays a complete pain. Once the exams and Fetac dates are over, it's very difficult to fill all that time, we are supposed to provide a summer programme with a pittance of a budget - and its getting worse every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 birdlake

CraftySue wrote: »
    Doc17, does this apply to resource tutors, you wouldn't have a link by any chance to this info - which union was this with, i presuming TUI. Sorry for all the questions, but this would be great news if it was true.
    Birdlake I got previous teaching experience recognised for working as a resource tutor with youthreach, this was 4 years ago, not sure if it still aplies to new tutors. I don't mind the longer hours, as you say its used for prep work, but I do find working the summer holidays a complete pain. Once the exams and Fetac dates are over, it's very difficult to fill all that time, we are supposed to provide a summer programme with a pittance of a budget - and its getting worse every year.

It is only for those on teaching contracts in Youthreach centres, unfortunately. Delighted to hear you got prev experience recognised- gives me hope! I have been looking up on it on the TUI website and only mention I could see was this;

All new Co-ordinators and Resource staff appointed to Youthreach should be placed at the starting point of the salary scales shown in Table A and progress in annual increments to the maxima shown. Further discussions are being held with the TUI in relation to recognition of prior relevant service for incremental purposes.

This report is from 1999 so surely the union have made some progress?? Or am I being far too optimistic :)

Any of the older teachers, fortunate enough to get teaching contracts, always only worked the standard school year. It's the resource tutors that were always left till July.
    Do check with the union, with regards increments, I got them, as did other tutors in our centre, but we had to look for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ed06

I have just interviewed for the position of resource person in youthreach and wondering if perople could help me out. I have been teaching since 2007 and would be on point 7 of the teaching scale. if i am successful for this position would i have to start on point one of the new entrant scale or the old scale? are you only allowed claim for one qualification allowance as resource person? can i get any of my previous teaching experience/salary recogonised? are holidays for four/six weeks? any help would be really appreciated. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭nifheorais

ed06 wrote: »
    I have just interviewed for the position of resource person in youthreach and wondering if perople could help me out. I have been teaching since 2007 and would be on point 7 of the teaching scale. if i am successful for this position would i have to start on point one of the new entrant scale or the old scale? are you only allowed claim for one qualification allowance as resource person? can i get any of my previous teaching experience/salary recogonised? are holidays for four/six weeks? any help would be really appreciated. thanks

Most centres are employ one coordinator ,a number of resource persons and part time teachers.All staff must be registered with the Teaching Council.
    Part time teachers are on the common basic scale and enjoy all the benefits that part time teacher enjoys in mainstream.Part time hours are generally to cover absences and are not long term.
    Resource Persons also qualified, are on the Youthreach scale but work the longer year,must teach up to 20 hours weekly and the balance of hours are used for admin work.This work includes Fetac Quality assurance,INTERNAL cENTRE EVALUATION(sorry),coordinating Gaisce,programme develpment,supervising breaks etc.ur own class planning is completed at home!
    If you are going for a Resource position be very aware of the conditions attached. In recent years part time positions are being subsumed into Resource contracts as it costs the DES alot less. :mad:

Just wanted to add to this post as, and to warn anyone thinking of applying for a position as a resource person, to be very aware of tbe conditions with the post.
    - it's a 39 hour week
    - 20 of those are teaching
    -35 days holidays
    - additional posts such as lca coordinator, fetac coordinator, secretarial type work expected
    - post is NOT recognised as teaching, therefore is not recognised for incremental purposes if you move to a teaching position elsewhere
    -not possible to avail of any transfer opportunities within Etb, into teaching positions

Be very careful of amy etb, advertising teaching positions including the term resource person, as these posts are not recognised as teaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 TransAtlantic

I have to agree with Crafty Sue. A resource person post in Youthreach is a very raw deal for qualified teachers. Longer hours, less holidays, more work and limited chance of progression back into mainstream. It would be nice to hear from principals/employers to see how they view a qualified teacher coming from Youthreach trying to get back into mainstream teaching. Do they see it as valuable additional teaching experience or does the CV go straight in the bin?

nifheorais wrote: »
    Most centres are employ one coordinator ,a number of resource persons and part time teachers.All staff must be registered with the Teaching Council.
    Part time teachers are on the common basic scale and enjoy all the benefits that part time teacher enjoys in mainstream.Part time hours are generally to cover absences and are not long term.
    Resource Persons also qualified, are on the Youthreach scale but work the longer year,must teach up to 20 hours weekly and the balance of hours are used for admin work.This work includes Fetac Quality assurance,INTERNAL cENTRE EVALUATION(sorry),coordinating Gaisce,programme develpment,supervising breaks etc.ur own class planning is completed at home!
    If you are going for a Resource position be very aware of the conditions attached. In recent years part time positions are being subsumed into Resource contracts as it costs the DES alot less. :mad:

TUI keep telling members that they cannot do anything for us until.....2018!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

TUI keep telling members that they cannot do anything for us until.....2018!

TUI can't/won't do anything for any teacher who doesn't fit neatly into a 'traditional' teaching role. In 2018 they'll quote you another future date.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

endacl wrote: »
    TUI can't/won't do anything for any teacher who doesn't fit neatly into a 'traditional' teaching role. In 2018 they'll quote you another future date.

That is totally untrue. All the teachers in our local Youthreach are actively engaged in our branch, and some of them have had cases handled by the TUI.

What the TUI has problems with is not teachers, but unqualified "tutors" who are threatening the work and conditions of teachers.

Most centres are employ one coordinator ,a number of resource persons and part time teachers.All staff must be registered with the Teaching Council.:mad:

Youthreach staff are not required to be registered with the Teaching Council. Many are, but it is not a requirement as it is now for second level teachers.

katydid wrote: »
    That is totally untrue. All the teachers in our local Youthreach are actively engaged in our branch, and some of them have had cases handled by the TUI.

What the TUI has problems with is not teachers, but unqualified "tutors" who are threatening the work and conditions of teachers.

Many staff (esp. longer term/older staff) in Youthreach do not have any formal teaching qualifications some do not even have degrees. It seems strange to me that the education of some of the most vulnerable children in society is entrusted to staff with no formal teaching qualifications. Qualified teachers in Youthreach unfortunately suffer as a result of this in terms of working conditions. In my experience the TUI want to stay well clear of this issue. They need to be seen to represent all Youthreach staff and can't advocate for better conditions for qualified teachers since there are so many unqualified staff in Youthreach.

Many staff (esp. longer term/older staff) in Youthreach do not have any formal teaching qualifications some do not even have degrees. It seems strange to me that the education of some of the most vulnerable children in society is entrusted to staff with no formal teaching qualifications.

It's a problem that's becoming more and more prevalent. The Dept. seem determined to "tutorise" the whole sector of FE, which Youthreach seems to fall into, although it is really second level.

You're right that it's difficult for the TUI to advocate for Youthreach as a sector; but in my experience individual TUI Youthreach members are advocated for.

You're right that it's difficult for the TUI to advocate for Youthreach as a sector; but in my experience individual TUI Youthreach members are advocated for.

The Dept. of Education didn't make Section 30 of the Teaching Council Act apply to Youthreach staff. They knew what a mess it would cause and how the sector would be exposed for having so many unqualified staff teaching vulnerable young people.

In my opinion the TUI need to stand behind what's best for the sector as a whole.

Haddington rd 2018!

Tutors are not a threat in our centre.All our staff are teacher council registered and are employed as Resource Persons.

The tutors you talk about are probably members of TUI.
    what is happening in your region?

Haddington rd 2018!

Tutors are not a threat in our centre.All our staff are teacher council registered and are employed as Resource Persons.

The tutors you talk about are probably members of TUI.
    what is happening in your region?

They may be all teachers NOW. But watch this space.

They may be all teachers NOW. But watch this space.

This is what is worrying me, I'm not sure what your post means exactly, Katydid, but I am worried that I may lose my teaching council teaching number in the future, by the fact that I am working in further education, or that it may be more difficult to participate in CPD.
    Youthreach staff are not required to be registered with the Teaching Council. Many are, but it is not a requirement as it is now for second level teachers.

Many if not most ETB, advertise positions for teaching subjects, and ask for applicants to be registered with the teaching council, but none highlight the fact, that the work is not recognised as teaching - this to me is very misleading.

Many staff (esp. longer term/older staff) in Youthreach do not have any formal teaching qualifications some do not even have degrees. It seems strange to me that the education of some of the most vulnerable children in society is entrusted to staff with no formal teaching qualifications.

As I understand it, over 80% of tutors working in Youthreach are qualified teachers. When the Teaching Council came into force, unqualified teachers, in the VEC's received a type of amnesty and a teaching council number. I don't know why the same could not have applied to youthreach. But I do agree, students in Youthreach, who usually are more vulnerable, and have more needs, are been treated less favourably in terms of resources than their counterparts in mainstream.

It has been mentioned a number of times that the TUI, can't do anything under Haddington, until 2018. But this relates to pay, as I understand it, is there any reason why the Union can't be fighting to recognise the work that we do as teaching, and allow it be recognised for incremental purposes, if we move into a teaching position in mainstream, or enable us to transfer within VEC's. It seems to come up every year in Congress, but nothing happens.

This is what is worrying me, I'm not sure what your post means exactly, Katydid, but I am worried that I may lose my teaching council teaching number in the future, by the fact that I am working in further education, or that it may be more difficult to participate in CPD.

Many if not most ETB, advertise positions for teaching subjects, and ask for applicants to be registered with the teaching council, but none highlight the fact, that the work is not recognised as teaching - this to me is very misleading.

As I understand it, over 80% of tutors working in Youthreach are qualified teachers. When the Teaching Council came into force, unqualified teachers, in the VEC's received a type of amnesty and a teaching council number. I don't know why the same could not have applied to youthreach. But I do agree, students in Youthreach, who usually are more vulnerable, and have more needs, are been treated less favourably in terms of resources than their counterparts in mainstream.

It has been mentioned a number of times that the TUI, can't do anything under Haddington, until 2018. But this relates to pay, as I understand it, is there any reason why the Union can't be fighting to recognise the work that we do as teaching, and allow it be recognised for incremental purposes, if we move into a teaching position in mainstream, or enable us to transfer within VEC's. It seems to come up every year in Congress, but nothing happens.

Absolutely..

I think because of the lack of mainstream teaching positions at the moment ETBs are trying to attract qualified post primary teachers into Youthreach positions by requiring applicants to provide a Teaching Council reg. numbers. This is not a legal requirement, I agree that it is misleading and takes advantage of qualified post primary teachers. It should be challenged.

As I understand it, over 80% of tutors working in Youthreach are qualified teachers.

Not sure where your info. is coming from, in the six Youthreach centres that I'm particularly familiar with this number is closer to 20%.

Totally agree, the crux of the issue in my opinion and why I'm very disappointed with the TUI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 beansontoast12

Hi, NQT here thinking of getting involved with YouthReach in the new term. Would anyone have any recommendations/advice? I don't have much information on it. Have there been major changes since this thread started?

Advertisement