Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will they exchange Football Jersey again?

Options
  • 08-06-2011 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭

Looking for a bit of advice here thanks. I bought my son the new Man U jersey on the day it was released - last Friday 1st June. He wore it for 2 hours that day...the next morning when he went to put it on again, I noticed there were alot of 'thread pulls' in it. I brought it back to the store and they exchanged it no problem, saying sometimes jerseys can become like this during transport. I then got his name and number on the back of the jersey. He wore it all that day (saturday) and as we were told not to wash it for a few days (because of the new number on the back), I only washed it yesterday and he wore it today for the second time. So this evening I noticed more 'thread pulls' in this jersey - one of which has thread actually coming out of it.

He had last years jersey and wore it constantly and this never happened. Last years jersey is in the same condition as when I bought it (but for the white/greyish collar!) despite the fact that he almost lived in it and it was washed hundreds of times.

This years jersey is made with new material and seems to 'pull' very easily.

I don't know whether to bring it back to the shop again - I imagine they might argue with me this time as his name is on the back of this second jersey - or to go directly to the manufacturers about this issue.

What rights do I have? I have the receipt from the original exchange. Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭sendit

Im not sure but i dont think you can bring it back if it's got a name and number on it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

sendit wrote: »
    Im not sure but i dont think you can bring it back if it's got a name and number on it

They were my thoughts too...but the fault is in the material of the jersey, which seems to pull very, very easily...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Bull. If the product isn't of merchantable quality the retailer must offer redress.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

RangeR wrote: »
    Bull. If the product isn't of merchantable quality the retailer must offer redress.

So as this is his second jersey in 5 days, I am assuming that the material in these jerseys is more prone to 'pulling' and not necessarily 'faulty'? Having said that, the child only put the jersey on today for 3 hours (when he got home from school until I got hme from work) and he was playing football in a field for that time and was nowhere that the jersey could have snagged on. And as I said, last years jersey, which he wore all the time, never once 'snagged'..
    What would you suggest?
    Will I bother with the shop again or just write to the manufacturer (n*ke)...?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I'd say return tot he store, if that is the case everyone will be back,nobody will accept that.

Keep calm and be prepared for a replacement, ask if anyone else has been back.

Try the forums, see if other fans have had the same problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

You won't get a replacement if you went to a different place and got a name and number on it. It's not the same as when they sold it to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭chappy

I am a manager in a sports store.if the jersey was printed in another company you may come across more of a fight as they may say the fault was to do with the way it was printed.

However, the printing should have no effect on your right to have a damaged product replaced.You should have no problem returning the jersey as faulty items are sent back to the manufacturer.The manufacturer will not deal with you directly as your purchase was from the store.

If this is happening believe me they should have no problem replacing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

That's actually incorrect, although understandable.

In this case, it would appear that the material in the jersey is not fit for purpose. This would mean that your consumer rights are unaffected, even if his name etc was printed on the jersey.

At this stage, you should head back to the retailer (along with receipt). You should also mention that this is the second time you've returned this type of jersey for the same type of fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Considering it's an origional jersey they are normally made to a very high quality, it's possible that there was a bad batch released (goes without saying that this wouldn't have been done deliberatley), if I was you instead of getting a new jersey I'd ask for a credit note and then go back in a month or so and get a new jersey just in case there are a few doing the rounds which aren't up to the normal quality.

Alternatively, convince your son to support a proper team (OK, sorry but was very surprised no one else picked up on it) seriously though hope you and your son get sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Gillo wrote: »
    Considering it's an origional jersey they are normally made to a very high quality, it's possible that there was a bad batch released (goes without saying that this wouldn't have been done deliberatley), if I was you instead of getting a new jersey I'd ask for a credit note and then go back in a month or so and get a new jersey just in case there are a few doing the rounds which aren't up to the normal quality.

Alternatively, convince your son to support a proper team (OK, sorry but was very surprised no one else picked up on it) seriously though hope you and your son get sorted.

Depending on the store involved, it could even be a knock-off.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Why are people in this country obsessed with getting Credit Notes in exchange for faulty goods?

The shirt is not up to standard, The OP is entitled to a refund or a replacement.

SkidMark wrote: »
    Why are people in this country obsessed with getting Credit Notes in exchange for faulty goods?

The shirt is not up to standard, The OP is entitled to a refund or a replacement.

I never said they weren't, if you read my post you'll see I said that considering the same issue arose twice that there is a good chance the store may have received a bad batch of the here's and it might be worth waiting until they get another order in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I never said they weren't, if you read my post you'll see I said that considering the same issue arose twice that there is a good chance the store may have received a bad batch of the here's and it might be worth waiting until they get another order in.

That's the shop's problem, they should take it up with the manufacturer.

The OP shouldn't have to wait for a new batch to come in which may or may not be of better quality.

No to Credit Notes !

Ok, I'm happy to agree to disagree but from what I understood the OP was happy to take an exchange I was merely pointing out the scenario of exchanging for what may well be another faulty jersey.

I never said that assuming the jersey is faulty she is not entitled to a refund.

Advertisement