Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony to beat nintendo to the punch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Werent they going to do similar with the PS3 and the PSP?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They did do something similar with the PS3 and PSP called remote play. Was kind of useless. Anyway the problem with what Sony are doing is that there won't be many people owning a PSP and a PS3 and even less that will use this feature. The Wii U controller comes straight out of the box so everyone will have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    They did do something similar with the PS3 and PSP called remote play. Was kind of useless. Anyway the problem with what Sony are doing is that there won't be many people owning a PSP and a PS3 and even less that will use this feature. The Wii U controller comes straight out of the box so everyone will have it.

Yup psp had remote play feature , was pretty useless kinda see it like with the ps moves though it be tacked on to games for the person who has the vita

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    They did do something similar with the PS3 and PSP called remote play. Was kind of useless. .

You're kidding, right?

It's actually very good. I use it quite regular, watching TV and downloading, installing organising things on the PS3 upstairs. I can also stream my PS1 games and turn the PS3 on remotely from anywhere in the world!

And check this out :)
    http://ps3.kombo.com/article.php?artid=11691

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Tallon wrote: »
    You're kidding, right?

It's actually very good. I use it quite regular, watching TV and downloading, installing organising things on the PS3 upstairs. I can also stream my PS1 games and turn the PS3 on remotely from anywhere in the world!

I take back what i said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

You're kidding, right?

why would you want to turn the ps3 on from anywhere in the world?

I dont see whats good about remote play

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

sumsar wrote: »

If you have videos stored on the PS3 you can stream them from the PS3 to the PSP. An interesting feature. I'd just rather play the games I brought with me on the PSP.

TBH I probably won't be using the Wii U for the same thing either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Read the link in my post, and the contents of my post!

My PSP is nearly always in the car because I use it for SatNav, so when the free games were announce, I went out to my car in work, and downloaded them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Btw, didn't nintendo shares plummeted to hell and beyond after they'd feck up at e3?

Sony will pull a nice one with this vita. All will be connected together, so that gimmicky crap that nintendo is offering will be done with don't too. I am not sure I need it thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

Read the link in my post, and the contents of my post!

My PSP is nearly always in the car because I use it for SatNav, so when the free games were announce, I went out to my car in work, and downloaded them :)

I now feel like an idiot... I didn't know what I was missing :eek: , firstly that eyetoy thing is genius....

now lets say I have a hard drive hooked up to my ps3 and I wanted to watch the movies on that on my psp through streaming can i??

on topic though in fairness even though nintendo games are for families rather than gamers, they come up with stuff every year that others want to copy... so fair play to them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Pro story in the link :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Unless the vast majority of PS3 owners buy the Vita, it'll be a tacked on feature. They can't make it a part of the 'core' experience without alienating a large amout of their current user base. Conversely, any dev working with the Wii U knows that the person playing it will definitely have the feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,328 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Nintendo did it years ago with GBA and Gamecube connectivity. If anyone has ever been lucky to play Pac Man Vs as it was meant to have been played, they'll know this isn't a new approach from Nintendo.

Pac Man Vs. is amazing, they'll have to bring out a version for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

ghostchant wrote: »
    Unless the vast majority of PS3 owners buy the Vita, it'll be a tacked on feature. They can't make it a part of the 'core' experience without alienating a large amout of their current user base. Conversely, any dev working with the Wii U knows that the person playing it will definitely have the feature.

+1

Even if it can be done the PSVita would be a very hard sell to people not interested in portable gaming just for some extra game features developers may not bother to develop for such a small market. Developers don't have to worry about this for the WiiU as it come with the remote unlike the PS3 where players need to fork out an extra €250 for the Vita.

I reckon the next PS and Xbox will come with something similar to the WiiU controller tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Screw that Sega did this waaaay before Nintendo did the GBA/Gamecube conectivity. You could have the power of VMU handheld gaming in your very hands!

There was also one for the PSOne which I forget the name of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

I think what will happen is that if a third party is making a game for PS3, 360 and WiiU that it will be relatively easy for them to have their Wii U functionally be an option for PS3 and PSVita combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Screw that Sega did this waaaay before Nintendo did the GBA/Gamecube conectivity. You could have the power of VMU handheld gaming in your very hands!

There was also one for the PSOne which I forget the name of.

Was that the pocketstation?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PocketStation

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

now lets say I have a hard drive hooked up to my ps3 and I wanted to watch the movies on that on my psp through streaming can i??

Yep. And if you've got Play TV then you can access all of your recordings on the hard drive using the PSP wherever you are in the World (so long as you've got an internet connection), allowing you to keep up to date with the goings on in Neighbours whilst on your holidays.

That is living.

Advertisement