Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreading ordinary level maths!!!!

• 08-06-2011 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

I'm going to fail because i haven't a clue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

Go over past exam papers and make sure you can do the A parts and most of the B parts for a D/C grade. Pay someone to do a couple of hours intensive revision with you the night before. Really, €50 is worth it if it means saving you having to repeat the entire year because you failed maths!

Even someone (serious) who did higher level last year would be fine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lisabisa

I'm dreading paper two, delighted we have the weekend to revise it!

But if you don't understand the stuff, you really should get someone, even a friend whos not doing the exams, to go through it with you.
    Its so much harder when you try figure it out. Best of luck though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Aaron547

Hmm....I really don't have anyone to do it with but if i leant all the past paper questions of by heart would you say i would pass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lisabisa

Aaron547 wrote: »
    Hmm....I really don't have anyone to do it with but if i leant all the past paper questions of by heart would you say i would pass?

Maths is difficult in that sense, all you can do it keep going over questions and hope you get the hang of it. But yes, go through your exam papers and try make sure you can answer most a/b questions in it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭GSI

Aaron547 wrote: »
    I'm going to fail because i haven't a clue.

You can pass with just the A parts and the B parts. If you just want to pass, ignore the C parts completely and go all out on As and Bs:)

• Advertisement

lisabisa wrote: »
    I'm dreading paper two, delighted we have the weekend to revise it!

But if you don't understand the stuff, you really should get someone, even a friend whos not doing the exams, to go through it with you.
    Its so much harder when you try figure it out. Best of luck though :)

I use e-xamit for soloutions so u get the jist of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Not to sound arrogant, but how does one fail ordinary level maths? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭GSI

AdamD wrote: »

Many people fail it. Record numbers every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I'm dreading it myself more paper 1 I know some of it. Others really throw me off and since lasts year 2010 got a horrible paper , I hope it's not the same this year. I need a c3 maths too and I failed my maths mocks on both papers.
    I just can't and won't drop I have studied it quite a bit .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

GSI wrote: »
    Many people fail it. Record numbers every year.
    I can't really understand it either. Higher Level is understandable, but literally with OL what you see is what you get. If you practice at any section it will come up the same way in the paper. You don't have to fully understand what you are doing, unlike HL where they throw out some really awful questions that you will have never seen before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭CdeP

Attempt as many questions as you can.

I know it sounds simple and you were probably going to do so anyway but there are a decent amount of marks on offer for attempting the question and the marks do add up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

Try EVERY SINGLE QUESTION. Seriously, even if you look at it and think ''I don't have a clue'' do SOMETHING. They do try to give you the marks if you make the attempt to at least do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭CdeP

Cydoniac wrote: »
    I can't really understand it either. Higher Level is understandable, but literally with OL what you see is what you get. If you practice at any section it will come up the same way in the paper. You don't have to fully understand what you are doing, unlike HL where they throw out some really awful questions that you will have never seen before.

A lot of people neglect to do any work for OL as they they presume they'll pass or get a C regardless.

Figures seem to suggest otherwise though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

flyaway. wrote: »
    Try EVERY SINGLE QUESTION. Seriously, even if you look at it and think ''I don't have a clue'' do SOMETHING. They do try to give you the marks if you make the attempt to at least do something.
    Even if you just write out the numbers of the alphabet you're guaranteed to get some marks! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

You can pass with just the A parts and the B parts. If you just want to pass, ignore the C parts completely and go all out on As and Bs:)

No

Attempt Marks

Try EVERYTHING!

mtb_kng wrote: »
    Even if you just write out the numbers of the alphabet you're guaranteed to get some marks! :D

ye ill probably just keep doing exam papers

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

Ive spent most my time pouring over Paper 1's and have totally neglected paper 2. Today my friend asked me how i was sorted for linear programming and i cant remember for the life of me what the fcuk that is..! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

use your log tables wisely. i was the only one in my year that got an a1 in the mock never looked at anything before the exam, you just need to work.
    Paper 1
    Q1 - Know compound interest and use your formulas in the log tables
    Q2 - algebra
    Q3 - algebra (look at solutions on e-xamit for the last 3 years and learn the method and you'll be guaranteed to be ok cos they are the same questions every year)
    Q4 - Modulus, how to divide and equating real and imaginary numbers.
    Q5 - Sequences - log tables this is one of the easiest questions you just need to read the question and use the correct formulas and method.
    Q7 - this is the easiest differentiation q generally speaking, be able to identify product and quoitent rule (log tables again) and learn first principles and max and min pt too

Paper 2
    Q1 - Area and volume - log tables
    Q2 - co ordinate of line - log tables
    Q3 - co ordinate of circle - log tables and transformation too
    Q5 - Trig - log tables take your time on this one and look for what your being asked
    Q6 - probability - if you don't get this don't do it at all you don't get attempt marks really your either right or wrong
    Q7 - statistics - know mode, mean and standard deviation
    Q9 - vectors - really similar to complex numbers really, they can't be multiplied, dot product and just stuff like that.

honestly though if you go over the last 3 years in your papers theres no reason why you can't do well in this subject, just think a little harder and use your log tables and write down your formulas!!!
    you can get every single question wrong on your paper and still get 70% if you have the right method.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

I dont know where i stand. i scrap is all i want. me and numbers are bad. through in the alphabet and im screwed. just in one eye and out the other. oh. ....... im more worried about maths cause it broke me in two during the mocks i walked out. made a balls of it head to toe. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭PurpleVintage

Um... is this thread and the advice given out, also applied to people in the 24 pilot schools? Cause I am almost certain that people wouldn't be wondering so much about how someone can fail any level paper in Maths, if they were in one of the pilot schools. If the people who wondered about it, actually are... than well, you're either very good at maths, study your arse off, or your teachers are wonderful, as a LOT of my classmates that were B/A standard in OL normal maths papers, are struggling to even get 30%. Needless to say, a crapload, including myself, dont even know if we'll pass foundation.

Here's my advice... if you're doing the old syllabus... stop thinking about how bad it is and enjoy the fact you get the opportunity to sit that exam. Go over your notes, look at the blue boxes in your chapters, and practice, practice, practice.

If you're doing the same paper i'm doing... no matter what level... well, all I can say is, failing wont be the end of the world :o

Good luck ya'll. I'm completely stressed over maths, but have accepted my faith. /sob

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

I really wouldn't do that tbh! Wouldn't you have to get 100% in A + B? (I'm guessing, can't remember the marking).
    Do as much as you can. show all your work! You gain points just by showing how you got your answer! You can gain some marks in C for showing work but no answer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Not to sound arrogant, but how does one fail ordinary level maths?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Exothermic

Start off and do everything you can. Highlight the questions on the paper as you so them so you keep track of it all.
    Then, look at the remaining questions. Attempt something, it could get you a few marks and they all really add up.
    If you're not sure how or what to do at least put down the formula and have a go at working it out.

For some questions you might know the answer but not understand how to get it. Using a trial and error method on your calculator could work? Just make sure to write down the steps you took to get it.

Just don't give up during the exam. Sit through it. Try and answer as much as you can. Re-check your calculations. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fionnsci

It's very possible to fail OL maths for all you begrudgers. I got a B in the JC but haven't worked at maths and got 55 or so in my mock in OL. There are plenty of people who would have failed maths for their JC and haven't done any work.

Advice wise, just go through each of the topics in your book. Look at the given examples and try them, then compare what you did to the solutions. Once you think you understand it, try some of the harder exapmles. I got through all of differentiation yesterday doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

Buy Revise Wise Paper 2 and look learn as much differentiation as possible for Paper one (It comes up in 3 questions - 6, 7 & 8) and just go over whatever else then. IDK if you'd even have time to do this or not, you probably won't if you do geography.
    Then over the weekend go over all of paper two, or as much of it as you can.
    I advise you do Linear Programming for your section 2 question, it's the exact same question they ask you every time, but with slightly different numbers.
    Give it your best shot and don't forget to attempt everything in a question you're doing, attempt marks are your friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Um... is this thread and the advice given out, also applied to people in the 24 pilot schools? Cause I am almost certain that people wouldn't be wondering so much about how someone can fail any level paper in Maths, if they were in one of the pilot schools. If the people who wondered about it, actually are... than well, you're either very good at maths, study your arse off, or your teachers are wonderful, as a LOT of my classmates that were B/A standard in OL normal maths papers, are struggling to even get 30%. Needless to say, a crapload, including myself, dont even know if we'll pass foundation.

Here's my advice... if you're doing the old syllabus... stop thinking about how bad it is and enjoy the fact you get the opportunity to sit that exam. Go over your notes, look at the blue boxes in your chapters, and practice, practice, practice.

If you're doing the same paper i'm doing... no matter what level... well, all I can say is, failing wont be the end of the world :o

Good luck ya'll. I'm completely stressed over maths, but have accepted my faith. /sob
    I asked the question and I'm in a pilot school doing HL. Old course looks easier tbh I definitely agree with you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,936 ✭✭✭doc_17

Some truely awful advice being dispensed here.

The person who said to ignore part c qs should be ignored. Some of the c (i) questions are fairly strightforward and you can rack up significant attempt marks at least for little work and these attempt marks really count if you are borderline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

It's actually quite simple. If you get less than 40% then you fail!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

mtb_kng wrote: »

What are the numbers of the alphabet, as a matter of interest?

Also - I'm sure if someone were to lob a paper up here we'd fly through it in no time. Assuming that's not against forum rules.
    Though it hardly has a latex/math mode does it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Eep - didn't realise the paper was tomorrow. My bad.

Assuming you're looking at past exam papers, if there's a question you're having difficulty with, just throw the year and question up here and we'll try to explain it. I'll be faffing about online into the wee hours at any rate. Never say die!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement