Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreading ordinary level maths!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭doyler101

xclw wrote: »
    use your log tables wisely. i was the only one in my year that got an a1 in the mock never looked at anything before the exam, you just need to work.
    Paper 1
    Q1 - Know compound interest and use your formulas in the log tables
    Q2 - algebra
    Q3 - algebra (look at solutions on e-xamit for the last 3 years and learn the method and you'll be guaranteed to be ok cos they are the same questions every year)
    Q4 - Modulus, how to divide and equating real and imaginary numbers.
    Q5 - Sequences - log tables this is one of the easiest questions you just need to read the question and use the correct formulas and method.
    Q7 - this is the easiest differentiation q generally speaking, be able to identify product and quoitent rule (log tables again) and learn first principles and max and min pt too

Paper 2
    Q1 - Area and volume - log tables
    Q2 - co ordinate of line - log tables
    Q3 - co ordinate of circle - log tables and transformation too
    Q5 - Trig - log tables take your time on this one and look for what your being asked
    Q6 - probability - if you don't get this don't do it at all you don't get attempt marks really your either right or wrong
    Q7 - statistics - know mode, mean and standard deviation
    Q9 - vectors - really similar to complex numbers really, they can't be multiplied, dot product and just stuff like that.

honestly though if you go over the last 3 years in your papers theres no reason why you can't do well in this subject, just think a little harder and use your log tables and write down your formulas!!!
    you can get every single question wrong on your paper and still get 70% if you have the right method.

cheers this is really good advice. you should be doing Higher level you made the course clearer than my teacher... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Dr.Evil

You get marks for writing down the right formula for a question. And more marks for putting the right numbers in the right question. You can get every answer wrong and still pass the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

Dr.Evil wrote: »
    You get marks for writing down the right formula for a question. And more marks for putting the right numbers in the right question. You can get every answer wrong and still pass the paper.

You can get every answer wrong and still get an A! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Are you certain about that because I thought if the formulas were in the log tables then they wouldn't give you marks for just coping out of the log tables, I could be wrong though! I'm freaking out about paper 1 more than 2! Just want to pass!!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Dr.Evil

If you put the right type formula down for the right question you'll get marks. Because it shows you know that this question needs this formula to solve it. And the right numbers is another step towards getting the right answer. But you can't just throw down every formula. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

If you put the right type formula down for the right question you'll get marks.

I wouldn't be 100% sure on that.
    There's a lot of "A correct relevant formula isolated and stops is awarded the attempt mark if the formula is not in the Formulae and Tables booklet." in the marking scheme, and "Correct formula and stop" is listed under Worthless/0 marks for many questions.
    One should definitely fill values for the variables in the formulae though - you might get lucky!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,936 ✭✭✭doc_17

This is incorrect.
    You can get every answer wrong and still get an A! :)

True

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Sparkie93

im thinking of dropping to foundation :( although will i get a college place if i do? i only got 20% in mocks lol

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

you do get marks for writing formulas actually, it depends on how many marks is going for the question most of the time, but generally for 10 mark questions you do get marks if its the correct formula as it indicates to the examiner you do recognise what you are being asked also known as attempt marks.
    if you don't write out the formula in an answer but still use it they'll actually dock you marks there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

Sorry if this seems absolutly stupid, but in regards to Question 4.. How do I know where to apply the -b formula? o.o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

I'm in the Junior Cert and doing foundation :p So yeah I find ordinary level maths impossible(before I moved down) and our teacher told us foundatin maths in leaving is like ordinary maths in Junior.... :( Sorry,I know I shouldn't be in this thread,I just saw it on the homepage and couldn't resist visitng just for curiousy..I'll leave now. G'luck btw :) Sure ye'll all do great :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,936 ✭✭✭doc_17

Sparkie93 wrote: »
    im thinking of dropping to foundation :( although will i get a college place if i do? i only got 20% in mocks lol

After 2 years of career guidance and maybe LCVP you should know this. Surely you know what course you are applying to and are cApable of fndng it on the web and reading the entry requirements. ll course have different entry requirements but if I was an employer I wouldn't hire anyone who wasnt capable of passing OL maths
    xclw wrote: »
    you do get marks for writing formulas actually, it depends on how many marks is going for the question most of the time, but generally for 10 mark questions you do get marks if its the correct formula as it indicates to the examiner you do recognise what you are being asked also known as attempt marks.
    if you don't write out the formula in an answer but still use it they'll actually dock you marks there

Actually no.
    marko93 wrote: »
    Sorry if this seems absolutly stupid, but in regards to Question 4.. How do I know where to apply the -b formula? o.o

Every time you see a quadratic in Q4 use -b rule. eg z^2 + z +1=0

You use the -b formula to find the roots of a quadratic equation.
    Say you're asked to find the roots of 2x^2+2x-12, for example.
    'a' is the coefficient of the x^2 value, in this case 2.
    'b' is the coefficient of the x value, in this case 2
    'c' is the constant, in this case -12.

so (-b+/-sq(b^2-4ac))/2a becomes

(-2+/- sq(4-(4)(2)(-12)))/4
    (-2 +/- 10 )/ 4
    = -3 or 2

Is that what you mean? Sometimes there are questions on using just the " b^2-4ac" part, but I think they are only on the honours syllabus.

If you see a question asking you to find the roots of a quadratic equation (one with an x^2 term), then you use the -b formula (unless you find it easier to factorise using another method, but the -b is always reliable.)

edit: feck you, doc_17 :P

edit2: I see on the 2009 paper 4b(i) asks you to show that u=3+5i is a solution of the equation z^2-6z+34=0.
    In this you could use the -b formula and find the roots of the quadratic, one of which would be 3+5i, or you could just substitute 3+5i in for z and you get zero as your answer, showing that u is a root. This method is probably easier, and the one the examiners will expect, but it is possible to use the -b formula if you feel more comfortable with that.

edit3: The -b formula appears to come up more often in Q2 than Q4..
    In 2010 2c(ii)
    2009 2c(ii)
    2008 2b(i) c(i)

So when i see quadratics pop it in!? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

So can i just conform im not the only one who is absolutely fooked for the LC :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Do you need to pass both papers in order to pass?
    I hope I get a c3 I'll be lucky it I even get a D my teacher said to get c3.
    That if 6 full questions in paper 1 then a a few more in paper 2 that could get you a c3. I've hardly looked at paper 1 though. I've mainly focused on paper 2 .

99% sure it's just the overall percentage they look at. It would be an idea to look at paper 1 because a) it's much easier and b) it's tomorrow...
    So when i see quadratics pop it in!? :D

Only if it asks you to find the roots or factors or to "solve the equation", in which case it means to find the roots.
    if x = a is a root, then (x-a) is a factor. Keep an eye on the terminology, and try to give them the one they're looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

AdamD wrote: »
    Not to sound arrogant, but how does one fail ordinary level maths? :eek:

Why come out with a comment like that and make peope feel worse about it

Ficheall wrote: »
    99% sure it's just the overall percentage they look at. It would be an idea to look at paper 1 because a) it's much easier and b) it's tomorrow...

Only if it asks you to find the roots or factors or to "solve the equation", in which case it means to find the roots.
    if x = a is a root, then (x-a) is a factor. Keep an eye on the terminology, and try to give them the one they're looking for.
    Oh.. Now i get you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dodgybarnet

Can someone please tell me how in this question you get to the second line

solve for x

5(x + 1)² = 2(x + 1) + 5
    5(x² + 2x + 1) = 2x + 2 + 5

wheres the 2x inside the bracket coming from?

• Advertisement

Can someone please tell me how in this question you get to the second line

solve for x

5(x + 1)² = 2(x + 1) + 5
    5(x² + 2x + 1) = 2x + 2 + 5

wheres the 2x inside the bracket coming from?

(x+1)^2= (x+1)*(x+1)=x(x+1)+1(x+1)=x^2+x+x+1=x^2+2x+1

Makes sense, thanks alot:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Shiroki

Need a C3 for my course. I got 42% in the mock even though I answered 3 questions on Paper 1. Pretty confident that I'll pull one out my arse :pac:

Looking at the Q4 Complex Numbers and Q6 Periodic Functions and Im absolutely clueless:(

What year's paper are you looking at? Pick one of the ones you're having difficulty with and we'll go through Qs 4 and 6.

2010 Q4 (b) both parts im not really sure of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

Q1) arithmetic and Q4) complex numbers i feel are the easiest in the paper

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

help please?
    A farmer ploughs a field with his tractor. The distance of the tractor from the gate of the field after t seconds is given by
    s=3t^2 – 6t
    (s is in metres)

the distance from the gate to the end of the field is 105 m – how many secs does it take the tractor to reach the end of the field?

I know it's 105=3t^2 – 6t but I can't figure it out after that

2010 Q4 (b) both parts im not really sure of

I'll get the hang of this latex yet...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

AdamD wrote: »
    Not to sound arrogant, but how does one fail ordinary level maths? :eek:
    easier than it sounds, beleive you me :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement