Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strangest Irish Insect

• 08-06-2011 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

Could anyone tell me what is/are the strangest insect/s you can find in Ireland and its islands? And where you can find them?

Just interested

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I've seen this little insect around Dublin a lot. To me it's the weirdest thing Ive seen in Ireland. I presume it's some sort of cricket type thing but I've no idea. Anyone?

162195.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭haydar

I see quite a few of them myself. He's a strange enough lookin one alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

cookie1977 wrote: »
    I've seen this little insect around Dublin a lot. To me it's the weirdest thing Ive seen in Ireland. I presume it's some sort of cricket type thing but I've no idea. Anyone?]

That guy is a shield bug, there's loads around here too.

The strangest one i've seen was the non-indigenous New Zealand Flatworm, looks like something from a horror film when you see it moving up close!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

Ragworm

50490967.JPG

Horrible things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

The Gnome wrote: »
    The strangest one i've seen was the non-indigenous New Zealand Flatworm,
    Ragworm

Insect :confused:
    :)

I've no suggestion yet....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

Pffft! Insecta / Turbellaria, tomayto / tomato :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

Turbellarians are flatworms, ragworms are polychaetes (sorry).
    Anyway my favourite insects are probably the green shield bugs. Dragonflies are pretty too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭RocketFalls

I didn't photograph the little fellow, but I came across a weird fly-like creature when I was having a smoke in the garden. It was quite distinctly segmented, had wings and was a sort of light burnt-orange colour.

I need to pick up an entomological reference guide. Insects are the shiz.

Advertisement