Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New alarm/security with remote monitoring and control

Options
  • 08-06-2011 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭

I am looking at installing a new alarm system, currently i have an aritech cs350, while I have read that diallers are available I would at this stage prefer to buy something
    that has a dialler built in? Has low power consumption and has the ability to allow me to monitor it remotely from a PC or if possible a phone.

The house is currently wired (mostly with 4 core) and the upstairs is all in one loop. I am in the process of building a shed and want to know what to wire out to it, maybe 6 core? I plan to run necessary wiring
    I'd also like to wire in some cameras that are discreet, possibly an ethernet connection if that has some compatibility with security systems? so I can see/hear who is at the door if I am in the shed or if i am not at home.

ie fit a security camera system, but which can be wired into remote monitoring at a later date,
    Opinions/ideas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

The Signet 220 would give you access to your alarm over the internet on the phone. Most alarm panels need a dialer added on to allow you monitor the alarm system. If you have a land line the Signet will text you if your service provider is Eircom or Vodafone.

Wiring for the alarm in the shed depends on what you plan to cover, doors windows, pir, keypad, external bell.

Most DVRs have the ability to view the cameras over the internet so installing the internet cable is a good idea if running the cables now. Same for the cameras.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

I have a landline but it is with UPC so if the power goes off, so does the phone.
    I thought the signet 300 series only had IP access from their site, didnt realise there was a 220 series.

I'm also not certain what twisted pair category wire to install that is wetherproof as it will be buried underground so might/probably will get wet.
    Mostly at this stage I'm fitting wiring/cabling where I am doing jobs and plan/hope to integrate it all later.

The dvr will be a necessary job too as someone has been playing silly buggers outside and i'd like to catch them out, hence why I'd like discreet cameras, maybe even some kind of minature globe shaped one as opposed to the look of most types that are on a mount and really obvious.

The dialer wont work with UPC as it only does text. A way around the power failure is to add a power supply to the UPC.

The lads in electrical would give you better advice with regard what cables to use underground. There is shielded twisted pair that can be used. It has a stronger coating for using in this case.

Small dome cameras like these are discrete.

That camera looks the job, I'd probably paint/spray it white so it blends in with the soffit even more. I was thinking I could put a UPS with the phone but I still think I prefer some kind of GSM dialler as the phone line is accessible from the outside and was a reason I was warned off PSTN diallers when I had an eircom line years ago after I put in the aritech alarm.

You can get the small domes in white also. Saves you a job.
    That said it is easy enough to block a GSM signal also, never seen it being done on a domestic but commercials I have.

• Advertisement

Ive heard about blocking gsm signals,
    I read somewhere about a new standard of 868Mhz or something like that, not sure if that is a replacement band as I thought that was around the range of some gsm signals, but as you say, not as likely in a domestic situation.
    i'd still prefer a gsm over a PSTN as I will likely always have a mobile but the landline may go. Although if a new sytem or standard comes out that cant be blocked, it will either be too expensive/not justifiable for my domestic situation/a while before the price drops.

Thanks for the info also

Your welcome, always happy to help :D

That frequency is for the wire free sensors used with the different systems, the older frequency is 433.

I agree, it is always the case with new technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Get some 4 pair poly cable if you want it buried.
    You can get those cameras in nearly all colours, painting them can be a pain

is that network cable, as in 4 twisted pairs?

I think Ive heard of that, 4 pair poly poly??? that right.
    Would most electrical wholesalers sell that or is that one to look for in maplin?

It is phone cable in protective plastic. Can be 4 or more, not twisted. The best place to buy would be a electrical wholesalers. Not cheap but will be well protected from the weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Four pair poly is twisted, just strip the cable back enough and you will see it.
    Some is twisted in pairs while some 4 core is all twisted together

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Have plenty of tissues at hand as it messy to work on. The inner cores are protected by a vasaline like stuff, horrible to work with.

Advertisement