Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs suitable to apartment living

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Dean09 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies its a great help. Although I'd love a greyhound I don't think the gf is too keen on them. She wants something a bit smaller. I showed her this thread and she still isn't too keen on the idea so I think its off the cards.

Whippet or whippet cross - check out Whippet Rescue Ireland - if those small guys dont melt your GFs heart she is a hard lady ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭D1976

We have one of these

1198453_f260.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This is what Staffies do when it's raining outside. Or when it's sunny, or windy, or Jupiter is not in Aquarius.

162386.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

seamus wrote: »
    This is what Staffies do when it's raining outside. Or when it's sunny, or windy, or Jupiter is not in Aquarius.

162386.jpg

I have to say I really love them. I have to try convince the gf now. Any idea of a website where breeders will be selling pups? I had a very quick search a few mins ago and didn't find much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

I have to say I really love them. I have to try convince the gf now. Any idea of a website where breeders will be selling pups? I had a very quick search a few mins ago and didn't find much.

If youre going to get any dog I would recomend getting a rescue. there are 100s of staffies in need of good homes out there.

If you are insistant on getting one from a breeder spend a few weeks researching them. they are a popular breed which unfortunetely means puppy farming is a danger

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

If youre going to get any dog I would recomend getting a rescue. there are 100s of staffies in need of good homes out there.

If you are insistant on getting one from a breeder spend a few weeks researching them. they are a popular breed which unfortunetely means puppy farming is a danger

East galway rescue have a lot of staffies - not sure where you're based though OP

Any idea of a website where breeders will be selling pups?
    :(
    I'm not going to harp on about rescues and pounds, and I request that none of the other posters do.

You clearly want to buy a purebreed and that's your right. My advice is to avoid websites altogether if you're looking to buy a good example of a breed. You will not find a well-bred pup from classified ads, and in most cases you will be giving your money to a puppy farmer.

You will need to contact the IKC who can give you a list of reputable breeders whom you can get in touch with.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

If you take her to meet any staffy, she won't need much convincing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

seamus wrote: »
    :(
    I'm not going to harp on about rescues and pounds, and I request that none of the other posters do.

You clearly want to buy a purebreed and that's your right. My advice is to avoid websites altogether if you're looking to buy a good example of a breed. You will not find a well-bred pup from classified ads, and in most cases you will be giving your money to a puppy farmer.

You will need to contact the IKC who can give you a list of reputable breeders whom you can get in touch with.

Thanks for that. I know it'd be better to rescue a dog and my last dog was rescued from a pound but this time round I'd like a pup tbh and it'd be hard to find a pup in a rescue centre.
    I want to to this as responsibly as possible and I would be very wary of who I buy a pup off and I don't want to buy off any joe soap who doesnt take care of their dogs. I don't necessarily have to have a pure breed but a pup is a must this time round.

Many of the rescues will have pups coming in all the time, especially Staffie pups, so it's worth keeping your ear on the ground in that respect. They don't post them up on their websites usually because they go out to foster until they're 12 weeks or so and then they get quickly snapped up by people who've walked in and stated that they're looking to rehome a pup. So it just looks like rescues rarely have pups, but they get pregnant bitches in all the time.

So if you're willing to wait, it's worth getting your name down with one of the rescues as someone who is looking to rehome a staffie pup.

Just note that many rescues require a letter from your landlord or management company confirming that dogs are permitted in your apartments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Not to harp on but EGAR have a 3/4 month old male purebreed staff in rescue at the minute.

Good luck OP staffs are amazing dogs, I adopted from EGAR just over 2 weeks ago, a 9 month old staff cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭misschoo

just a recommendation for what NOT to get - a westie - they may be small and cute but they are powerhouses of energy and they bark - a LOT!

Hi I own a Westie & I live in an apartment and my dog gets on fine in the apartment!! It's not correct to generalise Westies barking alot etc..... all dogs bark whatever the breed!

A point to note about rescues - I am looking to get another dog myself and would prefer to go down the rescue route but Rescues absolutely will not entertain me as I do not have a garden! I think this is very unfair as I walk my dog fisrt thing in the morning, at lunch time, when I get home from work & again last thing at night - hail rain or snow!

So don't rule out a Westie - my dog is the most loyal, faithful little thing I have ever met!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

misschoo wrote: »
    Hi I own a Westie & I live in an apartment and my dog gets on fine in the apartment!! It's not correct to generalise Westies barking alot etc..... all dogs bark whatever the breed!

A point to note about rescues - I am looking to get another dog myself and would prefer to go down the rescue route but Rescues absolutely will not entertain me as I do not have a garden! I think this is very unfair as I walk my dog fisrt thing in the morning, at lunch time, when I get home from work & again last thing at night - hail rain or snow!

So don't rule out a Westie - my dog is the most loyal, faithful little thing I have ever met!

Have you contacted rescues? I know a lot of rescues that will rehome to people without gardens, as has been discussed here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Long time reader and dog lover. I would also recommend a JRT. I got my jack 8 months ago and shes the best thing since sliced bread but these dogs are so full of energy she would gladly run all day long but that doesnt bother me as it fits my lifestyle, like today for example I took peanut for her walk that last about an hour then she loves to play ball all day long and then a calming walk in the evening and thats everyday. Theses dogs can be a boldy if not properly excercised but I guess thats the fun and joy of owing a dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Some rescues will rehome to peole with apartments. I know the one I volunteer for Kerry Greyhound Rescue will consider apartments. It looks at the person and their environment as a whole. Apologies for dragging this thread back to greyhounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Don't get me wrong - its got nothing to do with whether or not they are loyal or faithful. I know and love the breed very well.

I love westies, I wouldnt have another breed about me - I have two and have had them for years (the clue is in my name). Fair play to you for walking yours four times a day but thats a huge commitment and most people are not going to be able to do that.

They do bark - anyone comes around they are going to let you know - in an apartment with people passing your door regularly, I dont know how that works.

They are originally bred as working dogs - they are not lapdogs and they like nothing more than to be outside in the garden rooting around, digging, chasing anything that moves etc etc. I dont feel lead walking satisifies all their natural instincts.

I just feel a more 'lazy' type dog is more suited to an apartment.

http://www.officialwestieguide.com/westie/west-highland-white-terrier/should-i-get-a-west-highland-white-terrier

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭brianrcarney

OP did you get something? I am wanting to get apt dog too and after reading the love for greyhounds / lurchers it has been a little infectious... anyone know who will let apt dweller adopt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

OP did you get something? I am wanting to get apt dog too and after reading the love for greyhounds / lurchers it has been a little infectious... anyone know who will let apt dweller adopt?

As I said above Kerry Grehound Connection (KGC) will consider applications from people living in apartments. Look at the website www.kerrygreyhrounds.ie. Some of the dogs on the site are now be in the UK and will not be available. However, KGC have a number of hounds currently in kennels and foster in Kerry and surrounding area so there is a lot of choice. KGC will rehome throughout Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

we have an apartment and we got ours from http://www.orchardgreyhoundsanctuary.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2 shane1990

i have a whippet in my appartment an hes great he sits around all day he so laid back i would reccomend them too anyone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

shane1990 wrote: »
    i have a whippet in my appartment an hes great he sits around all day he so laid back i would reccomend them too anyone

Aw - please post a whippety pic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Unfortunately most of the smaller dogs have a ridiculous amount of health problems, or are prone to the Big Man complex of yapping at everything a breeze touches.
    I shudder to think of the possibility of a poor Pug bitch trying to give birth to a Beagle's puppies :( And then for someone to give them a name and try to sell them as a Pedigree!!! With the health problems a Pug suffers from, and the powerhouse in a Beagle that could probably supply the North-East with electricity, your GF must be basing her doggie choices on looks alone :rolleyes:
    Now, wanting your dog to look a certain way is absolutely fine - don't get me wrong! But in considering that obviously neither of you want to be out the price of that Bulldog you can't afford on vet bills alone, and neither of you want a high-strung, defiant or high-energy dog, most of the little babies are out :(

I would agree with staffie/greyhound/lurcher/whippet. I find the greys quite elegant, although they are a bit of an acquired taste to look at :p
    My mate has two basset hounds in a ground floor apartment, and all they do is sleep and cuddle. But again, health problems galore! And they are akin to greys in that I imagine your OH would have a similar problem with appearance :o

Advertisement