Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you all hoping to do next year?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

Kanderson wrote: »
    Some postgrads cost a bomb but look into Scotland for primary school teaching they pay for your course and get you a job takes two years to do but one year is learning and placement the second year is working in a school. But after the two years you can apply for primary school jobs in Uk or Ireland

Really? Never knew that, is that applied for after you get a degree in another course or can you do it as an undergrad? H irish wont be a problem im fluent after 8 years in a gaelscoil!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭mpdg

Psychology in TCD is the only course I want now. My heart's gotten itself set on it and I'm hoping and praying to get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭sarah.

Only one exam to go and am happy enough with how I've got on in general although nothing is certain until the results, that said my points mean very little. Obviously I'd like to do well after spending so long at it but I have no idea what I want to do so if it's 600 or 60 points that I get it'll be a waste. I know people will tell me to take a year out and others will say that your better with 600 obviously but it just annoys me that I'm so indecisive and clueless as to what I want to do. If I do well I'd love to be happy because I've gotten the course I really want not just because I got 'good' points. Arghhhhhhh, rant over. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

!MAVERICK! wrote: »
    I went to the Institute. You really should of kept honors English the paper was a breeze this year in my opinion. Well I had done over 2000 hours of preparation for it. But it was easier than the mocks.

Just repeat your 4 honors next year. You should find it alot easier to do well in them considering if you finished the course in previous years. You might even get more competent teachers in Rathmines.

My only concern is that there is a study hall in Rathmines which is open to at least 20:00 PM everyday.

Oh right it must've been good in the institute apart from maths. Yeah I should've kept it I dropped english after the first 2 weeks she gave us an essay to write and the title was a crap one and ended up writing a bad essay then she said she didn't think I'm able for honours and asked if I wanted to stay so I left. Even though I knew it was a bad one. Ordinary was so easy. My teacher kept saying how I've been working hard all year as my work is always good. I didn't think I'd remember all the poets and quotes.

Yeah I'll try and do 4/5honours. What subjects are you thinking of picking?I hope they'll be better than the teachers in my school. Thats a good time for the study hall to be open ain't it? or you'd rather it was longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭galwayman17..

Hopefully Occupational Therapy in NUIG but failing that Arts in NUIG! :)

my brother's an occupational therapist. he says its very hard to get a job now. because there are so many qualified so watch out for that! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭G.J.

Engineering in TCD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭!MAVERICK!

Oh right it must've been good in the institute apart from maths. Yeah I should've kept it I dropped english after the first 2 weeks she gave us an essay to write and the title was a crap one and ended up writing a bad essay then she said she didn't think I'm able for honours and asked if I wanted to stay so I left. Even though I knew it was a bad one. Ordinary was so easy. My teacher kept saying how I've been working hard all year as my work is always good. I didn't think I'd remember all the poets and quotes.

Yeah I'll try and do 4/5honours. What subjects are you thinking of picking?I hope they'll be better than the teachers in my school. Thats a good time for the study hall to be open ain't it? or you'd rather it was longer?

Yeah all of the subjects were great apart from maths. Dont listen to teachers telling you to do ordinary subjects. To get an A in higher level english you do need to write a great essay in paper 1. But you can still score highly if you work hard in comparative, poetry and Hamlet and do an alright essay in paper 1. In poetry there was no way I would remember nearly 20 quotes in 5 poets. So the day before English Paper II I just learnt all of Bolands quotes in detail and bang! she was at the end of the page the following day.

Im going to do all of the same subjects next year apart from English if I score an A. Im thinking of taking up biology as I regret not picking it in fifth year.

And yeah the study hall in the Institute was open from 07.30 am to 21:00 Monday to Friday and for 6 hours on Saturday and Sunday. I doubt the study hall in Rathmines will be open for that long. But on the bright side we get free wifi and the use of laptops.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

Mathssssssssssssss in Trinityyyyy:o

I was getting worried that I didn't see anyone else saying this! :p

If you happen to have any questions about the course, pm me! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Phareon

Pharmacy in Trinity!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I'm thinking BESS,not sure yet,haven't filled anything in on the CAO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭AbsentPonderer

International Law in UCC :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Something mathsy...

It changes between a maths degree and a business degree but for now it's maths..! :P

Want to get in to finance.. Possibly Actuarial Finance but I'm not 100% sure if that's for me!

Yeah all of the subjects were great apart from maths. Dont listen to teachers telling you to do ordinary subjects. To get an A in higher level english you do need to write a great essay in paper 1. But you can still score highly if you work hard in comparative, poetry and Hamlet and do an alright essay in paper 1. In poetry there was no way I would remember nearly 20 quotes in 5 poets. So the day before English Paper II I just learnt all of Bolands quotes in detail and bang! she was at the end of the page the following day.

Im going to do all of the same subjects next year apart from English if I score an A. Im thinking of taking up biology as I regret not picking it in fifth year.

And yeah the study hall in the Institute was open from 07.30 am to 21:00 Monday to Friday and for 6 hours on Saturday and Sunday. I doubt the study hall in Rathmines will be open for that long. But on the bright side we get free wifi and the use of laptops.

It'll probably be too hard for me to pick up honours to repeat as the course changes and I haven't done hamlet. Yeah 20 quotes is a lot to remember. I have a few other honours I might do instead. I was going to drop french and engineering as I know I hate it I don't mind engineering they don't do it there anyway. I won't put the work in for french. I'd keep business, geography , maths , english take up economics, classical studies maybe biology everyone keeps saying it's a long course or maybe spanish haven't done that for years I'd have to go over it during the summer. I originally picked biology as my option then with the the way the timetable was with the not so good geography teacher I had to swap to do geography at the time biology was on , an it wasn't on at the other time and ended up in engineering. Not quite sure it might be tough picking up 2/3 subjects . Spanish wouldn't be as much theory and I looked at the paper much easier to the french.

Aw thats really good that we'd get free wifi in the libary. Theres always a public libary though although they get packed easily.

It'll probably be too hard for me to pick up honours to repeat as the course changes and I haven't done hamlet. Yeah 20 quotes is a lot to remember. I have a few other honours I might do instead. I was going to drop french and engineering as I know I hate it I don't mind engineering they don't do it there anyway. I won't put the work in for french. I'd keep business, geography , maths , english take up economics, classical studies maybe biology everyone keeps saying it's a long course or maybe spanish haven't done that for years I'd have to go over it during the summer. I originally picked biology as my option then with the the way the timetable was with the not so good geography teacher I had to swap to do geography at the time biology was on , an it wasn't on at the other time and ended up in engineering. Not quite sure it might be tough picking up 2/3 subjects . Spanish wouldn't be as much theory and I looked at the paper much easier to the french.

Aw thats really good that we'd get free wifi in the libary. Theres always a public libary though although they get packed easily.

Never cut yourself short. The English Paper 2 this year was exactly as what I expected. The theme of memory in comparative, a character question on Hamlet and Eavan Boland for poetry. I could of just learnt those 3 essays and basically forgotten about all of the mountains of other work I prepared for English.

Yeah if you repeat you should stay with the subjects you have most experience in. I took up economics this year and if you put at least 2 - 3 hours a week of study into it, you should do well in it. Do business and geography again their great subjects. If you have experience in biology do it aswell.

Spanish shouldn't be daunting at all especially if you have done it before. It should all come right back to you. Its easier than French anyway. Im doing the exam on Tuesday then economics on Wednesday.

My options are either keep my grade in English if I do well and then take up biology next year. Or just repeat all 8 subjects I did previousely. I was considering taking up Honours Irish as Ordinary is a breeze for me. I got 90 percent in the mock last february from just doing a good bit of work in fifth year. Barely anything in sixth.

I think you get free wifi in Rathmines because its a college and the study hall might be in their library with all of the other third level students. Hopefully they will allow their repeat LC students to use laptops because I cant study without mine.

And public libraries are awful. I went into the Ilac the other day to try and find an available space but no. There was like a whole section of junior spots available but when I took a seat in one. The manager just kicked me out because of the stuck up prick he was. Theres constant noise and rattling the Library in Rathmines would be better.

Never cut yourself short. The English Paper 2 this year was exactly as what I expected. The theme of memory in comparative, a character question on Hamlet and Eavan Boland for poetry. I could of just learnt those 3 essays and basically forgotten about all of the mountains of other work I prepared for English.

Yeah if you repeat you should stay with the subjects you have most experience in. I took up economics this year and if you put at least 2 - 3 hours a week of study into it, you should do well in it. Do business and geography again their great subjects. If you have experience in biology do it aswell.

Spanish shouldn't be daunting at all especially if you have done it before. It should all come right back to you. Its easier than French anyway. Im doing the exam on Tuesday then economics on Wednesday.

My options are either keep my grade in English if I do well and then take up biology next year. Or just repeat all 8 subjects I did previousely. I was considering taking up Honours Irish as Ordinary is a breeze for me. I got 90 percent in the mock last february from just doing a good bit of work in fifth year. Barely anything in sixth.

I think you get free wifi in Rathmines because its a college and the study hall might be in their library with all of the other third level students. Hopefully they will allow their repeat LC students to use laptops because I cant study without mine.

And public libraries are awful. I went into the Ilac the other day to try and find an available space but no. There was like a whole section of junior spots available but when I took a seat in one. The manager just kicked me out because of the stuck up prick he was. Theres constant noise and rattling the Library in Rathmines would be better.

I'm not sure I might try the honours english, I'd just have to get used to writing long essays, it'd probably take up a lot of time. I could get an A/B in ordinary, and the same texts are one the course apart from one. Yeah I'll probably keep geography and business. I think I'll just leave biology .Yeah I prefer spanish, I just don't remember any verbs , think I'll buy a spanish book or something and try and go over it. An the listening should be easier. It's not a tough subject. Oh good luck in the exams :).

wow 8 subjects is a lot to do. Yeah Rathmines sounds better. I went to the illac 3 times it got busy quite quickly only went there as I can't study at home. Then gave up as it'd be too packed .Haven't tried any of the others.

I'm not sure I might try the honours english, I'd just have to get used to writing long essays, it'd probably take up a lot of time. I could get an A/B in ordinary, and the same texts are one the course apart from one. Yeah I'll probably keep geography and business. I think I'll just leave biology .Yeah I prefer spanish, I just don't remember any verbs , think I'll buy a spanish book or something and try and go over it. An the listening should be easier. It's not a tough subject. Oh good luck in the exams :).

wow 8 subjects is a lot to do. Yeah Rathmines sounds better. I went to the illac 3 times it got busy quite quickly only went there as I can't study at home. Then gave up as it'd be too packed .Haven't tried any of the others.

I cant study at home either. If you have a nintentdo ds get the Spanish verb coach its great. Im using it to study for tuesday. Thanks good luck. The only problem with the spanish aural is that some of the speakers just go a tag too fast. Its pretty straight foward though. The aural in the mock wasnt hard. Just hope the real one isnt as bad as the Irish one last week. The dialects were awful!

I cant study at home either. If you have a nintentdo ds get the Spanish verb coach its great. Im using it to study for tuesday. Thanks good luck. The only problem with the spanish aural is that some of the speakers just go a tag too fast. Its pretty straight foward though. The aural in the mock wasnt hard. Just hope the real one isnt as bad as the Irish one last week. The dialects were awful!

I'd be able to study if I had a desk or I get distracted.Yeah I have a ds except it broke I'll probably get another one.. It's the same with french but they have a strong accent which makes it harder I never understand a word. I heard the irish one was bad. I don't do irish though.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

Take an online career interest test. Thats what my school offered me. You answer about 500 relevant questions and it anaylises your career options and then presents a percentage of the industries you are suited to.

I came out at 100 percent Geography, 100 % Modern Languages. 80 % Business, 70 % Law 70 %

My career no-nos were Medicine at 0 %, and engineering at 10 %.

I put all of the courses I scored well in on my CAO. Its the best way to fill out a CAO in my opinion.

Heres a link to one here. https://update.ucas.co.uk/cgi-bin/hsrun.hse/Stamford/ucas_reg/ucas_reg.hjx;start=ucas_reg.HspersonalDetails.run
    gonna do this right now! thanks a mill :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Medicine is my first choice - wherever they'll have me! The points are obviously super high, plus there's the HPAT so I don't know how that'll go.
    Theoretical physics in TCD is next (completely different to medicine, I know!) but I think I'll repeat if medicine doesn't work out this year. If I still didn't get the points next year I'd be more than happy to settle for Theoretical Physics :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

I have Medicine down too. Honestly wouldn't care where I end up, although getting my first choice would be a massive plus! After that I have Radiation Therapy in Trinity, Physiotherapy in a few places and then some Sports Science and Performance courses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Gercakeage

Culinary Arts in WIT or CIT cant decide :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Gercakeage wrote: »

Is that why your name has 'cake' in it? :-P
    I know a couple of people doing it in CIT who love it, if that helps! I don't know anyone in WIT though so I can't really give a fair comparison :-P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

Gercakeage wrote: »

Honestly i'd say go to CIT, Waterfords horrible for going out in the night time, the college itself is opposite one of the worst housing estates in the city, even the open day was really unorganised throwing over a hundred people into an average size little classroom & If your moving away there'll be a lot more people between UCC & CIT, than just WIT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Is that why your name has 'cake' in it? :-P

You going for jam-making so?! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Platinum2010

DaveMur1 wrote: »
    Honestly i'd say go to CIT, Waterfords horrible for going out in the night time, the college itself is opposite one of the worst housing estates in the city,

You have a point , It's across from the most troublesome area in the entire city but the college itself is absolutely amazing . I know people who go there and love it but a lot of people are put off by the location , you don't have to live on campus , close to the city centre is an alright place to live a lot of students live around the city .

in response to Waterford being horrible for going out in the night time . All areas are horrible if your too drunk to look after yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

BubblesXD wrote: »
    Business and German in DCU hopefully :) Anyone else applying for on campus accommodation up there?
    yep! sent my application form a few weeks back:)

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Anyone know if you have to repeat next year, what would the story be with maths and irish? yano the way the courses are changed? Im not even considering repeating but I was just wondering!

You have a point , It's across from the most troublesome area in the entire city but the college itself is absolutely amazing . I know people who go there and love it but a lot of people are put off by the location , you don't have to live on campus , close to the city centre is an alright place to live a lot of students live around the city .

in response to Waterford being horrible for going out in the night time . All areas are horrible if your too drunk to look after yourself

Ye I think the are's really killing it from expanding. Going out in night can be bad though sum of the time, often went into city & there was only one nightclub opened , where the bouncers just abuse their power by turning away anyone in groups of three or more , or for other small reasons. The college itself though looks nice & modern.

smeal wrote: »
    Anyone know if you have to repeat next year, what would the story be with maths and irish? yano the way the courses are changed? Im not even considering repeating but I was just wondering!
    You'd have to learn the new courses & do them , other options drop maths & irish , if you only need requirements

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭sob1467

sob1467 wrote: »
    Business and German dcu
    BubblesXD wrote: »
    Business and German in DCU hopefully :) Anyone else applying for on campus accommodation up there?

That makes two of us Bubbles hopefully the points don't go way up. It looks like a good course anyway.

Advertisement