Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Optimal Resolution 1080i? Makes no sense

• 08-06-2011 9:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I got a 37" Full HD 1080p Techwood TV today, but the xbox seems to think that the optimal resolution is 1080i? I have it set to 1080p because it specifically states in the manual that the TV is capable of receiving 1080p signal. What i'm wondering is why does the xbox think the optimal res is 1080i? Should be noted that i am using the official Xbox HDMI cable with the dongle thing for external speakers.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

foxerv1 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I got a 37" Full HD 1080p Techwood TV today, but the xbox seems to think that the optimal resolution is 1080i? I have it set to 1080p because it specifically states in the manual that the TV is capable of receiving 1080p signal. What i'm wondering is why does the xbox think the optimal res is 1080i? Should be noted that i am using the official Xbox HDMI cable with the dongle thing for external speakers.

Cheers.

Very few games are actually developed in 1080p and virtually no multiplayer games that I can think of.

1080i and 720p are virtually the exact same in clarity. Manually choose 720p if your TV has a very low refresh rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Very few games are actually developed in 1080p and virtually no multiplayer games that I can think of.

1080i and 720p are virtually the exact same in clarity. Manually choose 720p if your TV has a very low refresh rate.

Still though, if you have a native 1080p TV, the 360 selects 1080p as the automatic setting. If that option is greyed out when connected with a HDMI cable and you can't manually select it then your TV is not a 1080p screen.

Even though very few games are 1080p native on the 360 or PS3 for that matter, the 360 upscales games whenever it can.

Given the choice of 720p or 1080i, select 720p. Make sure you didn't get shafted with that TV though. Sounds very suspect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Still though, if you have a native 1080p TV, the 360 selects 1080p as the automatic setting. If that option is greyed out when connected with a HDMI cable and you can't manually select it then your TV is not a 1080p screen.

Even though very few games are 1080p native on the 360 or PS3 for that matter, the 360 upscales games whenever it can.

Given the choice of 720p or 1080i, select 720p. Make sure you didn't get shafted with that TV though. Sounds very suspect.

I get what your saying, that's the puzzling thing, i can manually set it to 1080p and it looks great. But when i set it via the optimal resolution setting it picks 1080i itself. I cant find it on the website, can only find this one http://www.harveynorman.ie/techwood-37-inch-lcd-tv.html, but looking at the specs from the side of the box, manual and the sale brochure it is listed as full HD 1080p.

In fact in the HDMI signal compatibility appendix at the back of the manual it list it as being 1080p 50Hz, 60Hz and 24Hz, so this has me very confused.

*****EDIT***** Even on the receipt it says 37" Full HD TV, and on the sticker that i pulled off the side of it listing all the good things it has the little black & gold 1080p bubble.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

it's got a badly programmed edid, that is all. Every HDMI display has a chip called an EDID that stores what the capabilities are, i.e. it has a list of the video and audio formats the tv can take. all your xbox is doing is reading the edid and seeing what the max supported format is. your TV,although a 1080p tv, mustn't have 1080p listed in the edid so the xbox thinks it can't support it

i wouldn't sweat it, set it to 1080p and enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

mossym wrote: »
    it's got a badly programmed edid, that is all. Every HDMI display has a chip called an EDID that stores what the capabilities are, i.e. it has a list of the video an audio formats the tv can take. all your xbox is doing is reading the edid and seeing what the max supported format is. your TV,although a 1080p tv, mustn't have 1080p listed in the edid so the xbox things it can't support it

i wouldn't sweat it, set it to 1080p and enjoy

Muchos Gracios :D

I haven't even tried any games on it yet so im looking forward to some gaming on it tonight:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Given the choice of 720p or 1080i, select 720p.

With that in mind - is there any performance increase if you set the TV to 720p instead of 1080p because the XBox doesn't have to do any upscaling?

Or do you perhaps get a decrease, because the TV will try to upscale instead?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

With that in mind - is there any performance increase if you set the TV to 720p instead of 1080p because the XBox doesn't have to do any upscaling?

Or do you perhaps get a decrease, because the TV will try to upscale instead?

tv will always scale to it's native resolution if you feed it a signal different to it's native. if the xbox is scaling the games, the question is which does a better job of scaling, the xbox or the tv.

Advertisement