Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E61i, update and apps

Options
  • 08-06-2011 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭

I was given an E61i awhile back which is branded for vodaphone. I tried to install a twitter app, but it wasn't compatible. The software is version 2 and after reading online the 3rd version is out.

So if I get the phone unlocked and updated would I be able to install the apps.

I was pointed to http://blog.hishamrana.com/2006/12/21/force-flashing-vodafone-branded-nokia-e61 this awhile back, but the number is for vodaphone uk. What number would I need Ireland.

Or is there a better way to unlock/upgrade my phone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You dont need to unlock the phone, just needs to be unbranded so you can get the latest firmware. You only need to do this if you want to port over to other network operator.

Can you post your product code, its on the white label under the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

The code is 0549004. I also see that the model is the E61i-1.

tadcan wrote: »
    The code is 0549004. I also see that the model is the E61i-1.

Just reread your first post, updating to the newer firmware wont able you to down the apps. You could debrand and get the Version: 3.0633.69.00 software buts its not going to make any difference for you. The E61i was around long before 'apps'

Ah ok. Well since I use O2 and not vodaphone, I wouldn't mind debranding it anyway.

bump, can someone tell me how to debrand my phone

• Advertisement

ok, am officially confused now. Went to a phone shop to get the phone debranded, it seems to have worked since the start up time is much faster. But the on screen branding is still there. Seems I misunderstood what that does.
    The nokia updater still wont update. Have been looking around and found a pdf, who say I need a fls-5 device to do an update. Is that the last option left.

The main thing I'd like to do is to get online. Got the O2 set-up messages, but it still tries to establish a connection via vodaphone. I used the 'find service' to connect via 02, but that seems to be a once off.

Any advice, explanations.

Sorry forgot to get back to you. First off if you have paid for it to be debranded/ software updated and it isnt, go back to the shop. Have you checked *#0000# to confirm what you have now?

The E61i is a little different as it was made especially for vodafone networks, and you have to be careful if your changing the product codes as you could end up with a different style keyboard layout. Go back the shop and ask them to sort it out for you.

Yes I did pay for it. I tried as on of the things I found online #0000# and I got a message saying 'request not completed'.

Ah ok, so its more complex then a simple change.

Yes I did pay for it. I tried as on of the things I found online #0000# and I got a message saying 'request not completed'.

It needs to be: * # 0000 #

03-10-07
    RM-277
    Nokia E61i-1

• Advertisement

03-10-07
    RM-277
    Nokia E61i-1

Not updated, you need to bring it back so. Ask for version 3.0633.69.00 to be put on it

So that went REALLY well! :rolleyes:
    Had a bit of an argument with the guy, he thought I meant unlock, even though I said debrand. I don't think he was familiar with the phrase and I didn't do a good job explaining what I wanted. So he agrees to update it, come back in two hours, but the data will be gone. That's fine I have a backup. Come back, and am told that the upgrade kept stopping at 50%, he tried different ways, the phone seems broken. Sorry nothing I can do. He is calm now, apologetic.

Annoyed with the phone more than anything else, I splash out on a HTC desire S. Can't strictly afford it, but hey, it should last me 4+ years. I come home and the nokia is bricked. Set up the desire, it wont charge! Read some forums, did you remove the plastic over the battery? Opps, it works!

Normally I don't speak up as a customer, so thanks Davy for giving me a prod at that end. Maybe there was more I could have done, but for me even to do this much was an improvement.

Advertisement