Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funnels and tornados galore

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Excellent, thanks for the heads up, just remembered the camera battery is flat, right now where did I leave the charger... scratches head... mmmm

fingers crossed, spent the day with eyes in the skies today, seen a huge anvil cloud but no action..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Does the terrain have much of an effect on how these form? I know Maghera is right at the bottom of the Glenshane Pass at the start of a vast flat area, the US tornado's mainly happen in the central plains which are very flat as well

Just wondering what the potential is here considering Eglington is only 20 miles away but Letterkenny and the surrounding area is full of hills and valleys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

The farmer, workers and cattle were lucky to survive that tornado in Eglington in Derry, they were in the shed working with the animals and the roof was lifted off the shed and up into the air, they said they thought a bomb had went off, it knocked concrete wall onto the car totally crushing it.
    Very lucky it wasn't worse as it was a very destructive tornado.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Harps wrote: »
    Does the terrain have much of an effect on how these form? I know Maghera is right at the bottom of the Glenshane Pass at the start of a vast flat area, the US tornado's mainly happen in the central plains which are very flat as well

Just wondering what the potential is here considering Eglington is only 20 miles away but Letterkenny and the surrounding area is full of hills and valleys

I saw several funnel clouds about 8 years in what is a hilly area and it looked like one reached the ground, it was along a squall line that contained a lot of thunder and lightning.
    The squall line produced at least one tornado in the UK as it was reported on the BBC weather.
    If the conditions are right you could be hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Flat terrain more likely to see tornado activity because hilly terrain can break up the developing funnels. However, funnel clouds (those abortive cases where the funnel extends less than all the way to the ground) can appear over hilly terrain as well as flatter landscapes. Funnel clouds may be fairly common sights the next 2-3 days as freezing levels come down ever closer to the surface, and hail will definitely be a widespread phenomenon.

Your chance of seeing a real tornado like the one reported in Derry is realistically about one in half a million, but I would not be surprised if we get one or two more reports in the next few days. The dynamics are good for funnel clouds to come down low enough to become F0 tornado or "rope" tornado events briefly. A stronger tornado would require higher dew points and stronger frontal dynamics, usually.

If anyone wants to see a good video of a funnel cloud that almost (but not quite) formed a tornado, the Netweather chasers got one yesterday in North Dakota. Link is as follows, go to post number 5 in the thread:

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/69809-reports-and-pictures-chase-day-39/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Harps wrote: »
    Does the terrain have much of an effect on how these form?

Yes, they are very delicate and many will attempt to form but as they close on the ground could be interrupted by wind off the hills and so on.

They are thought not to form in cities ~ but once formed, the ground would be less of an impediment.

Tornadoes have been sighted everywhere, even were they should not be, but these would be rare and unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

I have seen 3 funnels here in the last three years, and got photos of them all too. All were from afternoon thuderstorms approaching from the NW. And all three formed in the same portions of the sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

What strength on the torro scale was that tornado in Derry?
    It must have surely been a T2 to be able to damage the walls and roof so badly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

I took these yesterday at around 14:45.
    Had to stop a few times and was almost late for work as a result :)

Are they the usual charecteristics of a funnel cloud trying to form? Is that correct description?
    The section I have circled seemed to form and disappear every few seconds and was moving quite fast.
    I drove along beside it and there was some big hail off the edges of it.

Felt a bit like Iancar...:) but not quite:(

162390.jpg

162391.jpg

162392.jpg

162393.jpg

I made a video at this point but its 16mins and needs some editing before I put it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Told ya's all I would bring some weather home for ya's! :D

On the way home from Cork at the mo.. So it'll be the iPhone if anything is to occur that will be capturing it :)

I hope some of u's who never seen one yet gets to see one today!

Oh and I'll be starting to go through all my photos and videos on Sunday. So ye I'll be putting a thread up in pictures for that :)

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Told ya's all I would bring some weather home for ya's! :D:)

Ryan Air will be sending you a bill for that, if you did not travel with him, he'll charge you for the disruption to his flights .... :)

I should have given you a wave as you passed through,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Pretty sure I saw a mini funnel cloud yesterday around Fintown in central Donegal, not as obvious as the one in Maghera the other day but it definitely extended towards the ground.

Some nice rain clouds to the northeast of Cashel now, could intensify :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Took this pic in Waterford today,no funnels out of this but the way it built from nothing in the distance to a dark monster was wonderful to see.

http://twitpic.com/59nvhh

Added more images from this set to Waterford Weather Facebook Page Here www.facebook.com/waterfordweather

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Took this pic in Waterford today,no funnels out of this but the way it built from nothing in the distance to a dark monster was wonderful to see.

318561317.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1307732818&Signature=bbc4XQkSfZPBVvq2lx1jKaCrTJ4%3D

http://twitpic.com/59nvhh

Can you tell me where you got that radar image on your twitt pics? if you don't mind me asking :).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Hal1 wrote: »
    Can you tell me where you got that radar image on your twitt pics? if you don't mind me asking :).

Its the Netweather.tv radar. The best in my opinion.

Its the Netweather.tv radar. The best in my opinion.

Ah right I wasn't sure, taught it might have been a free one like raintoday. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Porridgemonster

Saw a funnel or tornado on my way down from Dublin to Limerick last Tuesday afternoon near the Borris in Ossorry exit,got really windy and the funnel was a distintive white against the very black clouds and was swirling really fast towards the top,I couldnt believe what I was seeing at first and I kind of lost sight of it behind the hills alongside motorway but was really impressive to witness !

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

will the conditions be favourable for funnels this weekend??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

fryup wrote: »
    will the conditions be favourable for funnels this weekend??

Tomorrow yes, especially in the south. My prediction is that carlow/kilkenny will be in with the best chance of gettin a few thunderstorms. Funnels can never be ruled out!

Did anyone else hear about the tornado in Portlaoise yesterday? On 2fm they were interviewing a woman that had her house hit by it. It happened at about 8:30pm. She said it took away her bbq and her trampoline and did severe damage to her roof tiles, and made an almighty noise!
    The neighbours said they saw it come straight over her house and then off into a field.
    Did anyone see the radar for the area at that time yesterday? I wonder was there hook echoes on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

interesting , but i didnt hear anything about it .... was it 8.30 pm ???

Any mention from 2fm's site or the name of the journalist that interviewed the woman? If anyone's reg'd with netweather maybe they can post a high res radar of the area or add any more info on it.

It was the Colm Hayes show. Tracy was her name, she was on about 12:30.
    Hopefully i can listen to the podcast.

http://www.2fm.ie/colmhayes

They call it a mini-cyclone !

Hal1 wrote: »
    Any mention from 2fm's site or the name of the journalist that interviewed the woman? If anyone's reg'd with netweather maybe they can post a high res radar of the area or add any more info on it.

I can grab that later when i home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tornando9

2390104%20target=_blank%3EC2BBFF1E7ABF426496D8A98D0D261F64-0000336016-0002390104-01024L-BE619F9F6B9344489C29C8E3A06D1E47.jpgHere ya go.

C2BBFF1E7ABF426496D8A98D0D261F64-0000336016-0002390104-01024L-BE619F9F6B9344489C29C8E3A06D1E47.jpg

http://www.rte.ie/podcasts/2011/pc/pod-v-22061109m46scolmhayes-pid0-586848.mp3

Thats the link. Sounds like she hasnt reported it to Met eireann anyway or anyone else apart from her insurance company and the 2fm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

There was a funnel cloud over Co. Galway yesterday too.

http://www.irishweatheronline.com/news/storms/funnel-cloud-spotted-over-county-galway-21-june-2011/21045.html

We're having a good time of it this month, convection-wise anyway! ;)

• Advertisement

That radio interview sure sounds like an EF1.

But what's so special about Portlaoise that a Tornado should NOT be there, what's that presenter's name again?

It's alright for a tornado to take a barn apart in the North but Portlaoise, it shouldn't happen [idiot]. :rolleyes:

Advertisement