Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funnels and tornados galore

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

I Knew there was some hook echos on the radar yesterday!, i was in the cinema though during that time :( ...

Sounds like a strong EF-0 / weak EF-1 indeed.

Hopefully the kid will grow up to be mad into the weather now! ha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

http://www.irishweatheronline.com/news/storms/funnel-cloud-spotted-over-county-galway-21-june-2011/21045.html

just looking at the last picture there, if that image qualifies as a funnel cloud, then i've seen these features quite often without actually realising it!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tornando9

Photographed about 6 funnels last year. Haven't had as much time this year to go hunting them.

Here's a few of mine.

CB173433A7B1494A896CB1E3570B23C9-800.jpg

4E177D2AB69B489D9BE7C33BEBD70FE9-800.jpg

6DA07DE796F24562898683FC8566F144-800.jpg

05346AB3931F422DA77B909AAED9F6B7-800.jpg
    img21081024x768.jpg

img2108a.jpg

Small timelapse of above funnel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDlzTgg17aU&feature=player_embedded

Hope you enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

gbee wrote: »
    That radio interview sure sounds like an EF1.

But what's so special about Portlaoise that a Tornado should NOT be there, what's that presenter's name again?

It's alright for a tornado to take a barn apart in the North but Portlaoise, it shouldn't happen [idiot]. :rolleyes:

And he kept calling it a cyclone, what's that about??

fizzycyst wrote: »
    And he kept calling it a cyclone, what's that about??

Cyclone is probably is another word for a tornado... just not used as much.

• Advertisement

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Cyclone is probably is another word for a tornado... just not used as much.

Ah right, I thought it was what a hurricane was called in the southern hemisphere.

Ah right, I thought it was what a hurricane was called in the southern hemisphere.

Yep... ur right :)

FROM WIKI
    "A tornado is a violent, dangerous, rotating column of air that is in contact with both the surface of the earth and a cumulonimbus cloud or, in rare cases, the base of a cumulus cloud. They are often referred to as a twister or a cyclone[1], although the word cyclone is used in meteorology in a narrower sense, only to name hurricanes or typhoons. Tornadoes come in many shapes and sizes, but are typically in the form of a visible condensation funnel, whose narrow end touches the earth and is often encircled by a cloud of debris and dust."

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Yep... ur right :)

FROM WIKI
    "A tornado is a violent, dangerous, rotating column of air that is in contact with both the surface of the earth and a cumulonimbus cloud or, in rare cases, the base of a cumulus cloud. They are often referred to as a twister or a cyclone[1], although the word cyclone is used in meteorology in a narrower sense, only to name hurricanes or typhoons. Tornadoes come in many shapes and sizes, but are typically in the form of a visible condensation funnel, whose narrow end touches the earth and is often encircled by a cloud of debris and dust."

Ah, I never actually heard a tornado being called a cyclone, I guess it's a word that's kinda bandyed about a bit, thanks for the info:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Ah, I never actually heard a tornado being called a cyclone, I guess it's a word that's kinda bandyed about a bit, thanks for the info:)

It's a more generic term really, it just suggests the rotation, cyclone, anticyclone as in H or L pressure. And I think it was more adopted to suggest a hurricane in the southern hemisphere for two reasons, it'd be the opposite for us as an anticyclone usually bring us bad weather, in the southern half it would be the cyclone.

Add to that, a cyclonic storm in the south would generate to violent storm force or hurricane far more often than in the north. Thus the association, [IMO and naturally subject to correction.]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Thought I saw one forming in Athlone just there now.

Thought I was one forming on Athlone just there now.

Ur there now?.. Heres the radar shot for the area, looks plausable, and it only stayed for one scan meaning , its rotating a bit ...

164380.png

Good spot! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

I was driving from my house back to work, so couldn't take a pic. It might just have been the shape of the cloud either. The cloud was really dark and low, as opposed to the other cloud formations in the sky which where light and high up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

There was lots of potential Funnel action in the suburbs of Waterford City today with huge black clouds very close to the horizon. This pic i took was the closest to a funnel i could see but its more like a scud cloud. It was trying hard to generate but just couldn't get there. Was fun watching though :)

DSC03125.jpg

Advertisement