Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hand/wrist Pain.

• 08-06-2011 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

So has anyone else's hand/wrist/arm started hurting yet? I was in bits after Home Ec and even writing out my CC notes for tomorrow made it hurt again.
    I'm a little worried about paper 2 tomorrow :(

Mods: I'm not trying to get medical advice just wondering if anyone is in the same boat but step in if you think I'm going too far.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

I have such a sore neck! :(

And my finger has like dead skin from writing so much (there's a name for it but I dunno what it's called!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Neck/shoulder massage. My dad is deadly :D:p:o

Callous? I've had one of them for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Aoifums wrote: »
    Neck/shoulder massage. My dad is deadly :D:p:o

Callous? I've had one of them for years.

:L I had a deep tissue massage yesterday for reoccurring back pain that I have and it works really well.. Pity I'm not back to her until next Thursday! :(

Might get a neck brace..! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Definitely my neck anyway, felt stiff as after the English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Sore necks etc. are from posture but also from stress / nerves which cause muscle tension. My grandmother (who was not medically qualified :P) would recommend a brisk walk followed by a lazy hot bath followed by bed!

Hands / wrists are obviously under extra stress. Try
    ... flexing them occasionally during the exam while you're thinking through what to write next;
    ... a pen you're comfortable with; better yet, a couple of different ones so you can swap back and forth once or twice each exam.

Difficult to avoid totally though. The first couple of days will be the worst.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 C0nn0rmcl

Yep, I get the same thing.
    My handwriting turns to **** when it happens : /

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

I've been getting back spasms the past few weeks due to knotted muscles (a fact I may have briefly mentioned in my essay for a pity mark) and I've always had a very bad neck.
    This LC malarky has me in bits :(

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

yeah i have some arm pain more in my elbow and shoulder than wrist though. i have torn muscles in my shoulder and they haven't bothered me all year and today they start typical. not getting operated on until after the exams because i didn't want a script for the exam

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Daisyxx

Ah this brings me back to this time last year when I had the very same complaint..it's really terrible the way they replaced English paper 2 with Home Ec on day 1 in a bid to reduce stress on the first day..as if Home Ec doesn't involve a whole lot of stress and writing! But about the wrist, best thing to do is to try not to lean too hard on your pen and flex those muscles! :P Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

I can't remember the name of them....pencil grips maybe?
    Anyways they are little rubber covers that go over your pen/pencil. Try them! Used them in exams this summer and it saved my hand. Well... it was still sore, but it wasn't as bad at it should have been! Just make sure they are bulky! Little thin ones will do jack all.

Good luck in exams guys!! =)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

honestly, if i was ambedextrious, I would be so grateful right now

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭BillabongMad

I goo warm up exercise thing is to rotate your wrist clockwise a few times then move onto your thumb and repeat and so on so forth for each finger. Nice one to do while you're reading the paper or taking a quick drink - It saved me yesterday :D

Advertisement