Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Custom build with 3 x Quad NIC cards

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

You will need a motherboard that has pci-x slots to run those, as far as I know.

It would probably better getting a pci-e card. Something like this or this

I'd be very surprised if there were any issues with Linux with those cards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Thanks for the response, see I'm trying to keep it as cheap as possible.
    Most other cards are pretty expensive.

I just picked up these http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110696108171&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Based on research online, these are the most popular cards for the job. Just getting the right MB, I know they work with this but I need to get it somewhere that will ship to Ireland or find an alternative.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Is this for a lab environment? You will be able to buy any cheap c2d or am2/am3 board and it should work. The only issue will be the decrease in bandwidth running pci-x cards in pci slots, also if you are going to use all 3 pci slots performance could significantly decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Is this for a lab environment? You will be able to buy any cheap c2d or am2/am3 board and it should work. The only issue will be the decrease in bandwidth running pci-x cards in pci slots, also if you are going to use all 3 pci slots performance could significantly decline.

Yup, its a lab environment - see here.

Not too worried about bandwidth - just need enough to be able to send some control traffic and ICMP ;)

Just need to find a board with no obstructions directly behind the PCI slots (as these cards will need clearance.

Advertisement