Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

repeating and reg fee

Options
  • 08-06-2011 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

when repeating or having to resit two modules at xmas in order to earn enough credits to compensate three e's as well as enter stage 2 does the reg free required to resit the modules cover the reg fee for stage 2 as i will be entering stage 2 after xmas and doing some stage 2 modules after xmas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭supernutrino

corkman123 wrote: »
    when repeating or having to resit two modules at xmas in order to earn enough credits to compensate three e's as well as enter stage 2 does the reg free required to resit the modules cover the reg fee for stage 2 as i will be entering stage 2 after xmas and doing some stage 2 modules after xmas?

Your not making a lot of sense mate could you reword that? :confused:

If you are only resitting two modules you should already be able to progress to stage 2, they only hold you back if your repeating/resitting more than 2.

I don't really understand the question but I'll give it a try:

If your asking if you pay the reg fee if your only doing two modules the answer is yes unfortunately, but if both are in the same semester you might only have to pay half.
    If your asking (as you seem to be...) if you're charged a seperate registration fee for the two modules you carry over plus the stage 2 stuff then no, its just one fee (and the repeat/resit fees)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭corkman123

i have only 35 credits but my gpa is over 2.0 , i failed 5 modules but have 3 e's so im hoping that if i pass 2 failed modules the other 3 will compensate. im also hoping to do stage 2 modules in sept so that i can finish stage 2 normally ie next summer... but im just unsrue if the reg fee req in sept will cover stage 2 as well after xmas also if il only be in stage 2 officially for one semester how will the grant work ?

i have only 35 credits but my gpa is over 2.0 , i failed 5 modules but have 3 e's so im hoping that if i pass 2 failed modules the other 3 will compensate. im also hoping to do stage 2 modules in sept so that i can finish stage 2 normally ie next summer... but im just unsrue if the reg fee req in sept will cover stage 2 as well after xmas also if il only be in stage 2 officially for one semester how will the grant work ?

I'm 99% sure (unless rules have changed since I was in stage1) that they will not let you do any stage2 modules while you have any more than two outstanding stage 1s.
    The odds of three PCs are slim enough unless you get very high grades in the rest, I'm not quite sure how you could get so many stage1s resolved in time to finish stage2 by the coming summer.

So your question is: in the optimistic scenario that you have only two stage1 modules remaining:
    • Whats the registration fee implications?
    • How will it affect the grant?

The registration fee is unconnected to what stage you are in (unless your right at the end of your degree and only have one semester left, so say if you were resitting two modules from the previous summer in this sep and thats the last credits in your degree they may let you pay just one semesters reg fee, since its paid in two segments now).
    The reg fee is gonna be the same regardless.

The fee implications of this situation are your repeat fees for the failed modules.

The grant depends on the letter the UCD student desk gives you.
    You can't get a grant if your repeating (there may be a medical grounds exception if you had some kinda extenuating circumstances that detracted from your study but a simple cough cough letter from the GP woudn't be enough would have to be something serious, I've heard of them giving an extra years grant on medical grounds for someone who had to break their year up or something or take leave, but never to a resitting student I think the legislation governing the grant system prevents that)

If you got your first year grant already, and the UCD attendance letter (its a form letter they won't taylor or modify it) says "stage 1" again in September then they won't give you a grant.
    This letter will only say "stage 1" if you have more than two stage 1 modules still to complete, if your somewhat optimistic plan works out and you only have two stage1 modules left, then you are classified as a stage 2 student and it will say this on the form thus you get the grant.

The grant system won't care if your repeating only one or two modules (and don't tell them) they only care if you are repeating the entire year.
    The way it works is you get one grant for each year your course is supposed to last, so if its a 3 year degree, regardless of how long it takes you to complete it, you only get 3 grants. Sometimes they'll give people an extra one if they had to break their year up to take a lighter load when recovering from illness orwhatnot but thats an extraordinary exception.

So they will only give you a grant for each year, you get a first year grant, second year grant and a third year grant (if its a 3 year degree) you won't get two first year grants.

So whether you get a grant next sep is determined by whether ucd says your a stage 1 or stage 2 student in your attendance letter they give you for the grant application, and ucd decides what stage you are based on how many, if any, repeats you have, if you have 5 repeats in September, your still a stage 1 and you wont get the grant, if you have 2 your starting stage 2 and you will get the grant.

If you have financial difficulties and your caught in a technicality where you can't get the grant for technical reasons of your UCD status then thats why UCD has its own student welfare system, it has two actually, they won't give you what a HEA grant would by any stretch, but they will help you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I'm 99% sure (unless rules have changed since I was in stage1) that they will not let you do any stage2 modules while you have any more than two outstanding stage 1s.

That is not true. People with less than 50 credits could not register for stage 2 Arts modules last year as early as those with 50 or more, but they could register for modules.

That is not true. People with less than 50 credits could not register for stage 2 Arts modules last year as early as those with 50 or more, but they could register for modules.

So now you can start stage 2 without finishing stage 1? :confused::eek:

Used to be if you had more than 2 repeat modules from stage 1 you had to finish the surplus before you could take classes for any stage2 modules

• Advertisement

So now you can start stage 2 without finishing stage 1? :confused::eek:

Used to be if you had more than 2 repeat modules from stage 1 you had to finish the surplus before you could take classes for any stage2 modules

An awful lot of people with 45 credits (or less) were confused when they couldn't register on the same day as the rest of the stage 2 people. They just had to wait until registration for electives opened and they selected their repeat/substitution etc options and then all other modules.

when i rang the programme office she told me i could do some stage 2 modules in sept even though i wont be officially in stage 2 till after xmas.. i knw i wont get a grant until i enter stage 2 after xmas, but what im saying is, if i can ( which i was told i could) do some stage 2 modules in sept once the semester didnt have anymore than 40 credits , i will be able to complete stage 2 at the end of the year and i will only be officially in stage 2 fot one semester so i was wondering would i get a grant for being in stage 2 for only one sem?

An awful lot of people with 45 credits (or less) were confused when they couldn't register on the same day as the rest of the stage 2 people. They just had to wait until registration for electives opened and they selected their repeat/substitution etc options and then all other modules.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
    I was saying if a person this coming september has say 5 outstanding stage1s to complete, that they have to finish at least 3 of those before they can start stage 2 modules.
    So for example they could take semester 2 modules of stage 2 in January, but they can't take them in september because they have to spend sem1 clearing the outstanding stage1s

I was saying if a person this coming September has say 5 outstanding stage1s to complete, that they have to finish at least 3 of those before they can start stage 2 modules.
    So for example they could take semester 2 modules of stage 2 in January, but they can't take them in September because they have to spend sem1 clearing the outstanding stage1s

when i rang the programme office she told me i could do some stage 2 modules in sept even though i wont be officially in stage 2 till after xmas.. i knw i wont get a grant until i enter stage 2 after xmas, but what im saying is, if i can ( which i was told i could) do some stage 2 modules in sept once the semester didnt have anymore than 40 credits , i will be able to complete stage 2 at the end of the year and i will only be officially in stage 2 fot one semester so i was wondering would i get a grant for being in stage 2 for only one sem?

Ahh ok, now it makes sense, I didn't know they let you do it like that.

When I applied the grant authority didn't esquire as to how long I had left, what they cared about was what stage I was in.
    Your next grant application will be for your second year grant, since you've never had a second year grant before you should get the grant, regardless, you just won't get the payments until later in the year.

What you need to be careful of is getting the application in before the deadline, ring them (local council grant office) and ask if how you can apply in august yet not actually be in stage two untill Jan, they will have their own rules on that they'll probably let you apply in aug then have to give them a letter in jan saying that you are now in stage 2, and after that, you'll get payments, but ring them to confirm this.

• Advertisement

I was saying if a person this coming September has say 5 outstanding stage1s to complete, that they have to finish at least 3 of those before they can start stage 2 modules.
    So for example they could take semester 2 modules of stage 2 in January, but they can't take them in September because they have to spend sem1 clearing the outstanding stage1s

Your first post was about not being able to carry any more than 2 modules, not 5. If you have 45 credits you can select modules for stage 2. But you first go through the page on SIS where you select your repeat modules. Then you begin selecting stage 2 modules.

You are doing stage 2 but simultaneously finishing stage 1 modules. You are talking about a student being in Stage X, which does not exist any longer.

im soooo confused!!!!!!:confused: i only earned 35 credits in stage one.. ie 5 failed modules but 3 are e's my gpa is over 2.0 can i repeat 2 modules and compensate the three others? and can i do some stage 2 modules in sept ?

im soooo confused!!!!!!:confused: i only earned 35 credits in stage one.. ie 5 failed modules but 3 are e's my gpa is over 2.0 can i repeat 2 modules and compensate the three others? and can i do some stage 2 modules in sept ?

You just told us that the student desk said you could?
    Its clearly changed since I was in stage1.

yes she did... well obviously things had to change as there is no longer a stage x / summer exams so a lot of confused heads!!

yes she did... well obviously things had to change as there is no longer a stage x / summer exams so a lot of confused heads!!

Summer exams???
    The premodular system?? thats not what i was talking about at all! :rolleyes:

I was saying you could previously only continue to stage2 with 50 credits if you had less than that from stage1 you coudn't progress to stage2 until you got at least 50.
    You used to be allowed to carry over only 2, seems now you can carry three.

Its not being worded by either of you very clearly and looking back im not even sure if it HAS changed since I was in 1st year so on the modular question I'd say just go into the student desk or your programme office.

In any case, now you know what the score is re: the grant and fees, its one registration fee regardless of what stage your in, and you have to be in stage2 before they'll give you grant payments again, but check the way you verify this with your local council (maybe you can apply in aug then give them an update in Jan like a letter from desk saying your now in stage2, then you can get your payments)

yea, you can now progress to stage 2 with 45 credits, yea, i dont know how the grant hing will work if il only be in stage 2 for one sem

yea, you can now progress to stage 2 with 45 credits, yea, i dont know how the grant hing will work if il only be in stage 2 for one sem

I remember a phone convo with local councils grant office, she misunderstood me thinking I was repeating the coming semester and said something about me having to wait until semester 2 to get the grant.
    There may be a way to apply in aug then update the file with a confirmation in Jan that you have entered stage2, ring the grant office of the council and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Maggiemul

Hi, I'm just wondering does anyone have any idea if you have to pay full registration fee's at the start of the year if your just repeating two modules for the whole year?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

No, you don't pay the registration fee if you are repeating. Just the student centre levy, I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

No. You used to have to pay the registration if you were doing repeats, but not anymore. See here:
    Repeats and resits

If you are only taking repeats/resits, you only pay €230 per repeat/resit.

There is no registration fee – in 2010/11 it was €750 per semester.

Examples
    In semester 1 you are taking three repeats and two resits.
    This is a total of 5 repeats/resits.
    Total charges
    5 x €230 repeat/resit charge = €1150
    Student Centre Levy = €79
    Total due = €1229
    http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/newfees.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement