Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Iphone offer

Options
  • 08-06-2011 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

Just wondering - what is the 3.ie offer for the free iphone 40.00 euro "all you can eat data" is like?

Has anyone here availed of it - is it a good deal and how you find the service?

First look you do seem to save just wondering what else to take into consideration

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Well, this is the Cork forum, there's a Mobile's and PDA forum you'll probably get a better answer in. But there's another forum you should check first - the 'Talk to Three' one. There's some really bad negative feedback in there of Three literally hounding people 20 times a day for bills overdue by a day or two, and cutting people off before their bill date.

Their call centre seems to be in the far east, and staffed by very aggressive people. Would put me right off TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

I am considering taking it on too - I know four people who switched and they are all delighted with it. The "all you can eat" is just that but within reason - a normal person would never go over the limit, but if you say decided to start downloading a gig of music/movies a day then you will quickly breach it (fair usage policy). There were no complaints about the service.

A couple of things to consider:

1) Its a two year contract which no get out clause - this is my main reason for hesitation, I do not know what I will be doing in 6 months, never mind two years!

2) You may have to pay a "deposit" - e.g. depending on how your credit rating comes back (and it is a crazy system, I've encountered when I worked in O2 people working full time being forced to pay a deposit and someone who is unemployed deemed an ok "risk"), you may have to pay 150-250, which will be taken off your bill over time. Most people pass the credit rating though, but be prepared.

3) Insurance - while you do not have to get this, 3's insurance policy covers the phone for virtually every eventuality. Drop it in a toilet? Covered. Smash it off the wall? Covered. The only thing that is not covered is if its stolen while you left it unattended. The cost is €80-€85 upfront or else 120 over 12 months via direct debit (so pay cash). There is an excess too of 30 euro per claim. So really you are paying an extra 80-110 per year on top of the 40 a month.

Remember as well on the Iphone there are several apps you can now get that circumvent the network altogether (e.g. Skype etc.) meaning you can save in that way too, and read up on 3's "flexiunits" too.

I'm leaning towards not getting it due to the 2 years though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

i was worried about it for 2 reasons the 2 year contract and the bad reviews but i took the plunge and went for the offer,

so far my signal has been perfect and the all you can eat data is brilliant ( i was with vodafone) my last bill was like 27cent and that was for 2 uk texts...

so i don't go over the €40 by much at all...

as for the two years i just did the math to buy out the 2 year contract was: €960

BUT i wasn't going to be buying it out in the first year so €960 - €480 = €480 which by giving me the phone for free means i can buy my iphone for €480 next year (cheaper then unlocked by apple) if i want out and i have benefited from calls/texts/data for the money i have paid and the year i have had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

ITgirl73 wrote: »
    Just wondering - what is the 3.ie offer for the free iphone 40.00 euro "all you can eat data" is like?

Has anyone here availed of it - is it a good deal and how you find the service?

First look you do seem to save just wondering what else to take into consideration

I went for the it last september with out the all you can eat data (have recieved that in the mean time) I live in cork and as of yet, it's been trouble free and worked as expected, I'd avoid the iphone and go for the SGSII though....great phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Ghost Estate

Just so you know 3 customer service is sh1te. and I think they do some censorship with their interwebs, not sure about bill pay though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Just so you know 3 customer service is sh1te. and I think they do some censorship with their interwebs, not sure about bill pay though

Ya the customer service is pretty bad, you can opt out of that censorship thing though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭ITgirl73

Thanks for all the feedback guys - I am with O2 and would like to stay with them but they don't have the greatest offer when you compare it with 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

hoodwinked wrote: »
    i was worried about it for 2 reasons the 2 year contract and the bad reviews but i took the plunge and went for the offer,

so far my signal has been perfect and the all you can eat data is brilliant ( i was with vodafone) my last bill was like 27cent and that was for 2 uk texts...

so i don't go over the €40 by much at all...

as for the two years i just did the math to buy out the 2 year contract was: €960

BUT i wasn't going to be buying it out in the first year so €960 - €480 = €480 which by giving me the phone for free means i can buy my iphone for €480 next year (cheaper then unlocked by apple) if i want out and i have benefited from calls/texts/data for the money i have paid and the year i have had it.

Damn you man for justifying it :D

Advertisement