Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reads of Nassau Street

Options
  • 08-06-2011 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭

Curious if anyone else has noticed this. I bought a book in Reads recently, the RRP is €10.55, and of course they have 10% OFF ALL BOOKS, so it worked out at €9.50. Great little bargain, I thought.

Imagine my surprise when I passed by Hodges (only 2 minute walk away) and the same book has the RRP for €9.50.

The book is £7.99 and it's the exact same edition. Is it legal for Reads to announce ten percent of all books, but then just up the RRP by ten percent?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

All the supermarkets advertise some at half price. Rrp 13.99 half price 6.99 - audits the biggest load of utter bullsh1t I have ever seen.

Rrp, is purely a recommended price and can be anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

They're probably owned by the same company anyway....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Shop around in future.

I just buy books online...

bookdepository.co.uk is good, amazon aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

How can the RPP for the same book be different in two shops, isn't it printed somewhere on the cover of all books?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Recommended retail price is just that, a recommendation. It's down to the store what they want to try and charge for an item.

No they are not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

coylemj wrote: »
    How can the RPP for the same book be different in two shops, isn't it printed somewhere on the cover of all books?

The RRP for the UK is printed in STG on the back of almost all books. The exchange rate used affects the Euro RRP for Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Shop around in future.

I just buy books online...

I do, too. Or go to a library (cheaper still). My issue isn't so much with why books are more expensive in bookshops, I understand why that's the case, and if I'm in a rush, and live and work in town, getting books in a bookshop is far quicker than ordering from book depository or Amazon.

My issue is with Reads selling their books at an inflated exchange rate. Conveniently ten percent more than other bookshops are charging. And then reducing their prices by ten percent and claiming that you're making a saving. Surely that's false advertising (at best)?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I do, too. Or go to a library (cheaper still). My issue isn't so much with why books are more expensive in bookshops, I understand why that's the case, and if I'm in a rush, and live and work in town, getting books in a bookshop is far quicker than ordering from book depository or Amazon.

My issue is with Reads selling their books at an inflated exchange rate. Conveniently ten percent more than other bookshops are charging. And then reducing their prices by ten percent and claiming that you're making a saving. Surely that's false advertising (at best)?

They are only falsely advertising if they didn't have the book at the full price for a certain amount of time.
    They price the book at €10.55, then a few weeks later HF have the book but are only charging €9.50 for it. So Reads to counteract their competition have 10% off books.
    Same difference. Retailers keep an eye on what their competition are doing. Have you not noticed when Tesco reduces something that Dunnes price the same and vice versa? Or why most shops start their Christmas and Summer sales at the same time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Reads are owned by Easons
    HF I think are still owned by Waterstones
    They are only falsely advertising if they didn't have the book at the full price for a certain amount of time.
    They price the book at €10.55, then a few weeks later HF have the book but are only charging €9.50 for it. So Reads to counteract their competition have 10% off books.
    Same difference. Retailers keep an eye on what their competition are doing. Have you not noticed when Tesco reduces something that Dunnes price the same and vice versa? Or why most shops start their Christmas and Summer sales at the same time?

Reads state 10% off rrp - so as its off rrp (this can be their own rrp or the importers rrp (probably easons again) and it never has to be on sale at the rrp beforehand. - Hence wine with rrp of 13.99 selling at half price is utter muck and is probably only worth €5.

But where there is a good reason for differing book prices - exchange rates are usually fixed quartely and 5% extra is added for transport. In January / Feb, the exchange rate was about 1.24 for a while, whereas now its 1.15 Books are bought by stores on a reglar basis and if you look at different stores, there are different prices within a store for different books even though the sterling rrp is 7.99 on all of them - I've even seen the same book with different prices because it was different batches.

Advertisement