Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wooden garden fence

Options
  • 08-06-2011 11:16pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    I'm just wondering if anyone could recommend somewhere in Dublin that sells wooden garden fences/trellises and installs them? As well as knowing nothing about gardens I have no DIY skills so they would have to be installed for me.
    I'd be using them for privacy, as my garden walls are not very high- and will be trying to grow climbers on them at some stage!
    Something like these-
    glenapp20fence200220large.jpg

(Also, if anybody has an idea of how much the fence and installation would cost (just a ballpark figure!) that would be brilliant. It would only be on the 2 side walls, which are both about 10-12 feet long.) :o

Any advice would be a big help. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 johnplayer123

Hello Posy, That fencing is available at woodies stores, It is 6 feet in height and 6 feet in length so you would need 4 sheets, They cost 26.99 euro each so you are looking at 108.00 euro. You would also need 8 posts costing another 36.00 euro and I think an extra 20 euro for delivery, Total for materials and delivery approx 164.00 euro. Check out their website for store locations and go to fencing as you can order on line. As for labour, Surely you know someone who can use a saw and a sledge hammer, Its simple enough. Mine stayed up even with the strong winds we had a few weeks back.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Posy wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    I'm just wondering if anyone could recommend somewhere in Dublin that sells wooden garden fences/trellises and installs them? As well as knowing nothing about gardens I have no DIY skills so they would have to be installed for me.
    I'd be using them for privacy, as my garden walls are not very high- and will be trying to grow climbers on them at some stage!
    Something like these-
    glenapp20fence200220large.jpg

(Also, if anybody has an idea of how much the fence and installation would cost (just a ballpark figure!) that would be brilliant. It would only be on the 2 side walls, which are both about 10-12 feet long.) :o

Any advice would be a big help. :)

If you are fixing panels similar to the ones above, to an existing block wall, and you need to extend the height by a couple of feet, your could budget as follows:-
    4 no. 6' x 4' pressure treated overlap panels €100
    6 no. wall battens €27
    Fixings €40
    Labour €150

That's a total of €317 but you might have to allow for transport/delivery as well. If you want to cover the wall completely, it would be more expensive.

If it is to be a free standing fence - posts concreted in etc. it would be quite a bit more expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 smurnoff1486

Tbh those panels are muck, for such a short distance and depending on the strength of the existing wall I would recommend using loose picket boards, keep the timber up completely off the ground, fixed to wall etc. Unless the distance you are covering is exactly the length of 2 panels and 3 posts combined, a panel will have to be cut. Those shiplap panels will fall apart when cut. Also woodies/ bq are a rip off. Check out local garden shed suppliers or call a fencer, they will nearly be able to supply and fit for less than the material could be bought in woodies for!

Supply and fit of the panels you are looking for would be in region of 250
    For picket boards it would be about 350

Advertisement