Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC - wireless not working after outage last night

• 08-06-2011 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi,
    Having a problem with our UPC router. The wired connection to the router is working but the wireless isn't, it doesn't seem to be using the authentication that was set up on it. There was an outage on the phoneline/internet last night and when it came back, none of the wireless devices were able to connect.

Could the outage have reset the wireless password?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You can check or change the details in the router homepage:> http://192.168.1.1/

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭meemeep

did you power off and on after the outage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If it's the Cisco modem I have a problem after two reboots whereby I can't connect via Wi-Fi because it goes back to Wi-Fi channel 1 which for some reason none of my wireless devices (Lenovo laptop, iMac and iTouch) will connect on.

Using a machine that's wired to the router, open the home page on http://192.168.1.1/ then scroll down to Wireless and click on Basic. Look at the 'Current Channel' setting, is it set to '1'? If so you're probably having the same problem as me, set the 'New Channel' to '6', click on apply and you'll be back in business.

However the next time the router is reset (by rebooting itself or because you powered off and on), the 'New Channel' setting will go to 'Auto' but the channel will stay on '6', on the next restart after that the channel will go back to '1' and you need to change the 'New Channel' setting back to '6'.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Strandlope

Good post coylemj :)

I have had a similar issue with my NTL UPC Cisco Wireless Router.
    We went away for the Bank holiday weekend and I had unplugged all electronics, including the Wireless Router.
    When I got back, I could not connect to it via wireless using any of my devices, despite all the lights on the Router indicating it was working.

Steps I took to resolve:
    1. Connect laptop to Wireless Router using an ethernet cable
    2. Confirm internet access is available when connected by ethernet cable by going to e.g. www.rte.ie
    3. Log into the Wireless Router Admin using the address http://192.168.1.1/
    4. When asked for any passwords, don't enter any, just ignore passwords
    5. Select the Setup option
    6. Scroll down and select Wireless Basic
    7. Change the "New Channel" dropdown to "11" instead of "Auto"
    8. Click "Apply"
    9. Unplug ethernet cable and connect via Wireless

I am not sure what the difference is between New Channel "Auto" or "6" or "11"... but "11" worked for me.

You can also free-call UPC on 1908 but you will need to be the account holder and have the account number handy. They should be able to talk you through it.

Hope this helps.

Advertisement