Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless signal issue

• 08-06-2011 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Hi

I was settng up a new eircom wireless router today so I followed the instructions given by them and used the disc, anyway all seemed well and it connected to the laptop and I used my phone to test it as well, it was working on my phone no problem but the laptop wasn't, I could get full signal and go to google but as soon as a would try to search something the signal would drop and the wireless would be searching For networks and it would come back after a minute.
    I used my phone when the laptop signal to rule out an issue with the router but it was fine tested it 10+ times and got nowhere.

If anyone has any ideas that would be great

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭HelpWithIT

Firstly Eircom routers are ****e (-;
    Try updating the wireless adapter driver
    Try changing the wireless channel, if there are other networks nearby
    Make sure the router had plenty of ventilation as they are very prone to overheating and going crazy
    Make sure antennas are well screwed in
    Make sure router is not hidden behind a PC or monitor as this can really degrade the signal
    Lastly make sure PC is virus free before trying to connect to broadband
    Hope this helps (-;

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭gs300

Thanks for the reply.

I know not a fan Of them myself but I was setting this up for a friend. Seems to be working fine now all of a sudden but will keep your advice at hand for the future:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

Hi GS,

Another tip would be to change the Wi-Fi channel on the router. With the popularity of 802.11 connectivity on the rise, people sometimes forget that almost all routers are left on the default channel.

If you think of a pair of walkie talkies working on a single channel, and then 2 or 3 more come along, its going to get very congested and very slow at delivering the message.

Hope this helps!
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭gs300

Hi theboffin

Yeh I had a feeling this could be an issue, haven't been back as they are away but that mad my next step to try rule out a congestion in the channel.

Yeh a think it's set at 7 with a couple of other ap's, I have a wifi inspector tool in my own laptop I'll bring it with me and see what the story is.

Cheers for the reply

Advertisement